Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

I don't know. My JTV89F  just isn't working with the HELIX. Same cables work with the VDI and connect with Monkey. Everything seems fine. Just REFUSES to bond with the HELIX. ALL LATEST FW. Did EVERYTHING I know how to make volume happen . . . NOTHING! 1/4" works fine between Helix and JTV. VDI - NOTHING. Not to be crude, but . . . WTF???

The symptoms point to one of several things to check out:

- a JTV firmware corruption. Try reinstalling the latest JTV firmware

-  the VDI jack on the JTV. Visually inspect it and look for damaged or bent wires. If necessary straighten them carefully using a J-hook you can fashion from a thin plastic wire. 

- a hardware problem in the internal circuitry of the JTV. It may need servicing.

Ok, here's the scary part . . . . I dug the old POD HD Pro out, dusted it off, hooked it up via the "Variax" (ethernet looking) port. Works! This is giving me goosebumps now! This isn't the kind of scare I was hoping for, for Halloween! HELIX, NOT WORKZ, POD HD PRO, WORKZ! Ouch! I'm sure it's just a setting I'm missing. The HELIX learning curve is quite high (POD HD PRO not?!?!)! <fingers crossed!>

I think it is a good cable. I've tried several, good and cheap. No Joy! The first cable plugged into the HD Pro worked - it is a "PRO CAT5E" cable with the shroud. I'm trying NOT to start asking myself "how did I blow up the variax input to my HELIX????!!!!" Trying REAL hard! :D   Still workin' it!

I'm CERTAIN (Trying to convince myself) that I'm screwing something up! Variax input, volume up, straight through to output. I have been using digital out to the power cabs. going to try something else. BTW -  I LOVE the HELIX pitch shift! Pink Floyd Marooned! Even Billy Strings is doing the wild pitch shift now! So don't get me wrong, even if Variax is dead, I'll survive. However . . . GOTTA FIGURE THIS OUT!

Ok, I misled (I think). "NOTHING" doesn't really mean "NOTHING." The Variax powers on when plugged into the HELIX. But no audio seems to be transmitted. The tuner doesn't "Hear" the Variax. And, of course, I get no audio input through the VDI connection. WAKE UP HELIX! PLEASE!

Real dumb question here... but need to ask since I don't see it asked yet.

Are you absolutely sure the Helix presets in question have their INPUT set to "Variax" or at least "Multi"? If it is set correctly, have you double checked to make sure the preset load is not "forcing" the Variax volume to 0?

Based on everything you say, it sounds like the Variax works with the HD500 so it shouldn't be the guitar. Can you get your hands on another Helix to try? Or maybe backup your Helix then try a factory reset.

So, fresh start today. And, sure enough, volume was on 0.1. Although, once I fixed that, it started working well (except, only one of the powercabs seem to be working today, but that is a whole different topic/investigation), I am certain I checked that a dozen times if not more, and all of them were "Don't Force," except Lock Control was "Unlocked" (whatever that means). While messing with this "Problem" over the past week or so, I even created a simple input -> output preset with nothing else in it and two inputs, both on Variax, and nothing (both volume knobs on 0.0, or something very low??). I don't know, I probably just need a couple more years to come up on the learning curve.

Anyway, thanks to all for the help, and coda for possibly making my eyes more aware of the don't force thing. On to the next challenge!   :D

Ok, I'm going to chalk this one up to  . . . well . . . DONE! Again, thanks All! In fact, the Variax tone actually sounds great (I think I've noticed this only ONCE before!). but, I'm using a tone that hasn't worked before (Boston Pizza). Honestly, I clicked through as many of the menu options as I could think of before noticing the 0.1 Volume setting. I am truly beginning to believe it was actually something besides that, but, I mean, REALLY, who cares!? I'm calling it "FIXED!" It hasn't worked for so long, I just figured, maybe rightly so, it was the mouse wheel's fault! THAT'S MY STORY AND I'M STICKING WITH IT!!!   :D