BRISTOL86

Helix Native and OSX / Logic

Hello All

I used to own an LT but sold it when I fell away from playing guitar. I am now getting back in the game and have purchased Native and a set of monitor speakers to get me up and running again. 

I’m using an iMac and had a couple of questions 

- Is there any way to get Native running without loading up a DAW? It would be great to be able to launch it as a standalone programme but I’m guessing that’s not possible? 

- Assuming the answer to the above is ‘no’, what’s the quickest way to get things up and running each time?

I’m using logic, I presume I can define an empty project with a single guitar track and Native pre loaded as the Audio FX as a ‘default’ template I can load each time Logic starts?

Thanks in advance for any tips. 

There are plenty of "plug-in hosts" that run on Mac that will allow you to run Native without a DAW. Examples are Hosting AU, GigPerformer, Soundsource, LiveProfessor. Some are free; full featured hosts for gigging are around $150.

And, yeah, with Logic you can create a Project that has a channel with Native as a plug-in. Name it, save it, and it will launch quickly whenever you need it.

If you want to control Helix Native with hardware (footswitches and pedals), you'll need to do some more work, and the way it is done varies between plug-in hosts.

Thanks. I’ll look into some of the free hosts but to be honest it sounds as if doing as you say with a blank project in Logic will be just as quick as any other solution! 

It’d be good to see it offered as a standalone program in future though. I imagine there’s a fair chunk of people that don’t need a fully fledged DAW and just want Native as a home/practice solution. 

I'm surprised that Native doesn't run as a standalone app. My other amp sim, S-Gear, does. As long as you own Logic, though, you might as well just launch it and use it. When you're jamming out and find a riff you love, you can just hit the record button. Another plus is that you can use some tracks for drums and bass for jamming.

2 hours ago, soundog said:

I'm surprised that Native doesn't run as a standalone app. My other amp sim, S-Gear, does. As long as you own Logic, though, you might as well just launch it and use it. When you're jamming out and find a riff you love, you can just hit the record button. Another plus is that you can use some tracks for drums and bass for jamming.

Yes I was surprised it didn’t. I assumed it’d be an application much like HX Edit - not sure why they’re not one and the same to be honest, and just have it as a requirement that it can only be used when not connected to Helix hardware or a valid Native licence is in place. 

But like you say - upsides to being in a DAW too!

I use MainStage.

I thought mainstage came with Logic?

I'm sure that's where I got it.

It's very useful because you have other tools like EQ to replace the Helix global EQ which you are going to need to get a good sound through your speakers.

And you could use a midi pedal board through MainStage

10 hours ago, rvroberts said:

I use MainStage.

I thought mainstage came with Logic?

MainStage doesn't come with Logic anymore, it's now a separate purchase from the App Store. It's just around 30 bucks and might absolutely be worth it in case you're planning to use Helix Native live as it allows for several switching options.

• Upvote 1