Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix tuner in regards to delay and reverb trails

One4All77

So I just got my Helix and I'm thoroughly loving it aside from one detail: the tuner is positioned at the very end of the chain and, thus, kills all sound coming from the unit, including and reverb and/or delay trails. I am aware that I can change the output so that it keeps the volume going, but that doesn't help because then I can't tune silently. I basically need a way to change where the tuner is in my signal path. Is there any way to do this or am I to be relegated back to using a Snark??

Thanks!

Actually I believe the tuner is placed at the very beginning of the signal chain, for best accuracy, and can't be changed. I don't believe the manual specifies this but it makes most sense. Why try to tune at the end of the signal chain and have to contend with various FX like Stomp, filter, and mod? Best to deal with the raw input signal.

I believe the problem you are having is with the tuner's Output setting - specifically Mute. This setting prevents the signal from leaving the tuner block, whether it is at the beginning or end of the chain.

Activating the tuner stops all audio processing. I think the issue is that running the tuner itself uses some DSP, so they probably just can't make it so the audio keeps on processing because the additional DSP load from the tuner would put some presets that are close to the DSP over the edge. I guess they could possible make it so that only Path 2 keeps processing (assuming the tuner is using the Path 1 processor). But that would mean the Path 1 and Path 2 would have different DSP capacities.

Fair points, but it's still something I can't believe they didn't figure out seeing as this is becoming increasingly popular with worship bands that use heavy delay and reverb. Aww well!

I did discover a bit of a workaround though. You can place a send block in your path before the volume pedal, keep your dry through level at full, and then use the send the same as the volume out on an Ernie Ball volume pedal. Be neat if there was a 9v out on the Helix, but I guess you can't have everything!

• 2 years later...

For the record – since I only just noticed – but it's there since v3.10, i.e. since April 2021:

Tuner Trails

Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, HX Effects, HX Stomp, HX Stomp XL

The Tuner screen has a new "Trails" parameter. When set to "On," delay repeats and reverbs' decay continue to ring out and even the Looper keeps running when the tuner is engaged. No more awkward "everyone's staring at me because my B string went wonky."

• Upvote 2