Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is it just my JTV-59 or does the open tuning function work less well on the JTV than on the old Variax 300?  When I retune a model by more than a couple of frets it sounds like the original untuned note is breaking through into the amplified sound (this is through the amp, not just the odd effect you get from hearing the guitar acoustically).  The untuned note is relatively quiet but it gives an almost twelve string effect and makes it unusable. The same thing happens with the baritone model.   I still have a 300 so compared it - and that definitely does not have the problem.  I don't know if this is a fault or something that everyone's experiencing.  Any thoughts?

Sorry I didnt see this topic earlier. I reflashed the firmware as well but the problem persists.

I opened up CUBASE and recorded a short sample, and in the sample the guitar and the tuning sounds perfect, but on my monitors its not. There is some sort of a leak that is more apparent with clean sounds on altered tunings.

When i crank up the distortion, the leak is not as apparent since I guess the distortion is added to the the actual signal and not the leaked one and so its still there but cant be heard as much.

Is there any way around this?

Sorry I didnt see this topic earlier. I reflashed the firmware as well but the problem persists.

I opened up CUBASE and recorded a short sample, and in the sample the guitar and the tuning sounds perfect, but on my monitors its not. There is some sort of a leak that is more apparent with clean sounds on altered tunings.

When i crank up the distortion, the leak is not as apparent since I guess the distortion is added to the the actual signal and not the leaked one and so its still there but cant be heard as much.

Is there any way around this?

Sounds to me like you are hearing the normal acoustic vibration of the physical string (the actual note/pitch) as well as the altered tuning. This normal vibration/note comes direct from the guitar string - hence it is not captured by your recording, and is drowned out (although still present) as the distortion/volume of the device processing is increased. This natural tone cannot be eliminated - it is caused by the string's vibration when you strike it.

Sounds to me like you are hearing the normal acoustic vibration of the physical string (the actual note/pitch) as well as the altered tuning. This normal vibration/note comes direct from the guitar string - hence it is not captured by your recording, and is drowned out (although still present) as the distortion/volume of the device processing is increased. This natural tone cannot be eliminated - it is caused by the string's vibration when you strike it.

I understand that the natural tone cannot be eliminated, but this sound is coming through my studio monitors as well, and also when i use headphones.

I understand that the natural tone cannot be eliminated, but this sound is coming through my studio monitors as well, and also when i use headphones.

Then I don't understand why it is not also in your recording. Sorry - can't help you further.

.... unless.... what is your JTV connected to? Is it possible that you are using a Pod HD500/Pro/Desktop, and working with a dual-path preset that includes the JTV Mag pickups as one Input, the JTV Model as the other Input, and recording only the JTV Model path?

Then I don't understand why it is not also in your recording. Sorry - can't help you further.

.... unless.... what is your JTV connected to? Is it possible that you are using a Pod HD500/Pro/Desktop, and working with a dual-path preset that includes the JTV Mag pickups as one Input, the JTV Model as the other Input, and recording only the JTV Model path?

Im connecting my jtv50 to my POD XT live via VDI cable. I then connect the output directly to my studio monitors. The POD XT live is connected to my computer via USB cable. I dont have a dual path preset, does that exist on the XT live?

The Pod XT is not a dual-path/tone device so the above possible explanation is not relevant. I have no explanation for why you hear some 'leak' of the standard-tuning string(s) through your monitors/headphones but not your recording. In the XT Live, the same signal that you hear via headphones is (or should be) passed via usb for recording.

The Pod XT is not a dual-path/tone device so the above possible explanation is not relevant. I have no explanation for why you hear some 'leak' of the standard-tuning string(s) through your monitors/headphones but not your recording. In the XT Live, the same signal that you hear via headphones is (or should be) passed via usb for recording.

I know and its so frustrating i dont know whats the cause of this. Because of this, the alternate tunings are impossible for me to play on.

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem with my brand new jtv-59. I have recorded samples to DAW when playing alternate tunings. The leak is easy captured in the recordings. Can Line 6 solve this problem? If not, the jtv-59 is only 50% of what I hoped for, and will have to og back.

I have the same problem with my brand new jtv-59. I have recorded samples to DAW when playing alternate tunings. The leak is easy captured in the recordings. Can Line 6 solve this problem? If not, the jtv-59 is only 50% of what I hoped for, and will have to og back.

If the leak is captured in a direct (i.e. not mic) recording then it will be worth posting a sample here.  I think everyone else who had this problem - like me - found it was OK when recorded (or amplified really loud enough to absolutely drown out any acoustic sound).