Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix floor vs rack

flems

Ehy guys I have a question. I’m going to buy a new helix but I don’t know which one. Is there any software or hardware difference between the rack version (with the controller and a expression pedal) and the floor version? Thank you all

I'm not sure what the advantage of the rack version is... I suppose if you already have a rack of gear it keeps it more protected, hypothetically if you need to replace the floorboard portion it will be cheaper... but rack+floorboard is more expensive than the all-in-one unit, and then you still need to buy an expression pedal.  Also it is nice to be able to see the whole signal chain on the floorboard when you are switching presets/snapshots, especially during a rehearsal when you are tweaking the tone.  I recommend getting the floor unit, unless you have a very strong use case for rack mount.

2 hours ago, flems said:

Ehy guys I have a question. I’m going to buy a new helix but I don’t know which one. Is there any software or hardware difference between the rack version (with the controller and a expression pedal) and the floor version? Thank you all

The only real differences, other than the form factor, are that the rack has a 1/4" analog dry pass thru jack on back and the Word Clock in.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, phil_m said:

The only real differences, other than the form factor, are that the rack has a 1/4" analog dry pass thru jack on back and the Word Clock in.

Interesting about the world clock.  I supposed this would be an advantage if you had other rack effects or synching with other band member's equipment.