JimDiGritz

Problem with headphone Right Channel

So without any changes to my setup I'm suddenly getting a muted but distorted effect in my right headphone output channel. 

This affects both guitar and PC audio (I'm using the Helix as my soundcard). 

I've tried rebooting the Helix as well as my PC. I've tried different headphones (they all work perfectly in other devices). 

The sound from the main 3/4 Output (which I have going direct into studio monitors) is fine. I'm using 2.81 and have also just updated to 2.82.

I've raised a ticket, but anyone have any ideas to troubleshoot before I send it off? I bought in 2016 (so out of warranty) which probably means a lengthy and expensive trip to the UK authorised repair centre.. 

Cheers

1 hour ago, JimDiGritz said:

This affects both guitar and PC audio (I'm using the Helix as my soundcard). 

What do you mean it affects your PC audio?  Do you mean, audio that is recorded through USB?  

On 10/24/2019 at 2:43 PM, chasingMango said:

What do you mean it affects your PC audio?  Do you mean, audio that is recorded through USB?  

Hi, no I use my Helix as an external PC soundcard as well as for guitar (so I can also hear YouTube etc). ALL sound that comes out of Helix Headphones has a distorted/crackling right channel...

I have this same problem...  I raised a call and was told it was probably a hardware issue and to arrage repair via the retailer.  However mine was a used buy off ebay - So i have no reseller or warranty to go back to. 

Hi there, unfortunately, this sounds like a hardware issue. Please backup your user patches via HX Edit, then perform a factory reset on the unit (will delete all user patches/ IR's): power up the Helix while holding the footswitches 9+10. Then test it again with the factory patches only (without reloading user patches into the unit). If still not working, the unit needs to be check by a tech. For this please contact your Line 6 reseller from where you've purchased the Helix. They will take care of it. Thank you. Best regards Olaf Schildt Line 6 Technical Support Europe

I'm just putting up with it as my options are limited, let me know if you get anywhere.  I'm now using Native and a seperate audio interface for headphone jams.

5 hours ago, riffer81 said:

I have this same problem...  I raised a call and was told it was probably a hardware issue and to arrage repair via the retailer.  However mine was a used buy off ebay - So i have no reseller or warranty to go back to. 

I'm just putting up with it as my options are limited, let me know if you get anywhere.  I'm now using Native and a seperate audio interface for headphone jams.

I hear you, I'm out of warranty too and I don't fancy sending it back for an expensive repair at the moment.

I've re-routed via a Behringer Xenyx mixer which is fine, however the reason I went to direct headphone out is that the mixer seems to lose some of the high end....

I now have this problem too. Something is going on here.

For me, I get sound in the right channel but it's noticeably lower than the left, and it's distorted...basically exactly the same symptoms and situation (and went through the same troubleshooting) as the original poster. I also use Helix as external Mac sound card, etc.

It may be worth mentioning that I have low-impedance monitor headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50x), and I know there's a lot of posts on the topic of Helix + low-impedance phones (because I've read through them trying to figure out what this problem is), but it's also worth mentioning that my phones worked perfectly for 2 years up until now.

Did anyone ever hear anything further from this from Line6? Or did any of you ever send your unit back and get confirmation it was indeed a hardware issue? 

25 minutes ago, c_frederick said:

I now have this problem too. Something is going on here.

For me, I get sound in the right channel but it's noticeably lower than the left, and it's distorted...basically exactly the same symptoms and situation (and went through the same troubleshooting) as the original poster. I also use Helix as external Mac sound card, etc.

It may be worth mentioning that I have low-impedance monitor headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M50x), and I know there's a lot of posts on the topic of Helix + low-impedance phones (because I've read through them trying to figure out what this problem is), but it's also worth mentioning that my phones worked perfectly for 2 years up until now.

Did anyone ever hear anything further from this from Line6? Or did any of you ever send your unit back and get confirmation it was indeed a hardware issue? 

Sorry to hear this dude, sadly whilst waiting for a response my whole Helix has packed up with an intermittent cutting out issue - I started a thread here: 

So it's now boxed and ready to ship back to the service centre when Covid lockdowns end - I'm fully expecting a big bill. 

For your sake I'm hoping that this isn't connected with the same headphone out issue...

Meanwhile I bought a Focusrite interface and Helix Native and am having fun...

Oh man. Really sorry to hear that. I hope the bill isn't too big. Let me know how it goes with them and if they offer any insight.
As you say, I hope this isn't a symptom of a catastrophic failure to come for me...:-(

One thing I've noticed that I'll pass along: If there's sound playing (e.g. a youtube video) and I turn the Phones dial all the way down, I still get faint, low-level volume in the *right* earphone. 
As soon as I turn the Phones up, the left headphone becomes louder and the volume in the right one drops and distorts. 

I'd be curious if others have exactly the same symptom. 

3 hours ago, c_frederick said:

One thing I've noticed that I'll pass along: If there's sound playing (e.g. a youtube video) and I turn the Phones dial all the way down, I still get faint, low-level volume in the *right* earphone. 
As soon as I turn the Phones up, the left headphone becomes louder and the volume in the right one drops and distorts. 

The first thing I would check as troubleshooting is disconnect the Helix completely from your computer (unplug the USB). Disconnect *everything* from the Helix except a guitar cable and your headphones. Reboot it, and then load up some of the factory preset patches and use your guitar to make sound. Do you still hear the issue? If so, try a different pair of headphones. Do you still hear it then? If so, it's highly likely it's a hardware problem.

Good suggestion Qwerty42, thanks. I actually did all that yesterday (plus a full factory reset). Looks like it's a hardware fault.

I am having the same issue with my helix floor

I have a helix rack that I use my studio with headphones a lot of the time and never had this problem

I use the helix floor for gigging so I don't normally use the headphone output

When the headphone volume knob is on zero I still hear leakage in the right ear.

When I turn it up, he right side seems to be considerably lower than the left. 

I have tried the headphones in other devices with no issues

When I feed music through it via the USB port and use it as an audio card, the sound, in the right headphone is distorted as well as much lower in output volume

If this is a hardware issue it might've been there when I purchased the unit?

Is there any other suggestions to try to troubleshoot, or does the unit have to be sent back to line 6.

Is line 6 accepting repairs at the moment?

Thank you in advance

18 minutes ago, MarkSalore said:

I am having the same issue with my helix floor

I have a helix rack that I use my studio with headphones a lot of the time and never had this problem

I use the helix floor for gigging so I don't normally use the headphone output

When the headphone volume knob is on zero I still hear leakage in the right ear.

When I turn it up, he right side seems to be considerably lower than the left. 

I have tried the headphones in other devices with no issues

When I feed music through it via the USB port and use it as an audio card, the sound, in the right headphone is distorted as well as much lower in output volume

If this is a hardware issue it might've been there when I purchased the unit?

Is there any other suggestions to try to troubleshoot, or does the unit have to be sent back to line 6.

Is line 6 accepting repairs at the moment?

Thank you in advance

Call or email them and open a ticket and they will tell you if they are accepting repairs.

Hey Mark,
I'm sorry to hear you're also having exactly the same issue. What you're describing is exactly the issue I have. I spoke to support and was told it was a hardware issue. I haven't sent my unit in yet due to the virus closures but it looks like I'll have to. I also did a complete factory reset and it didn't fix it unfortunately. Good luck,
Chris

17 minutes ago, c_frederick said:

Hey Mark,
I'm sorry to hear you're also having exactly the same issue. What you're describing is exactly the issue I have. I spoke to support and was told it was a hardware issue. I haven't sent my unit in yet due to the virus closures but it looks like I'll have to. I also did a complete factory reset and it didn't fix it unfortunately. Good luck,
Chris

Chris, Update...

I went back to the firmware 2.82, and then back up to 2.92, and it seems like it fixed the distortion issue on the right channel. 

It seems like the only issue I'm having is when the volume is on zero/off, I still get sounds through the right ear.

When I turn up the volume and the headphones although it is hard to tell, it seems like the left and right may be equal?

Tomorrow I'm going to run a tone test from my laptop through the USB input, and take the headphone output and run it into an audio recording program and check the signal on the left and right the see if they are equal.

18 hours ago, MarkSalore said:

Chris, Update...

I went back to the firmware 2.82, and then back up to 2.92, and it seems like it fixed the distortion issue on the right channel. 

It seems like the only issue I'm having is when the volume is on zero/off, I still get sounds through the right ear.

When I turn up the volume and the headphones although it is hard to tell, it seems like the left and right may be equal?

Tomorrow I'm going to run a tone test from my laptop through the USB input, and take the headphone output and run it into an audio recording program and check the signal on the left and right the see if they are equal.

FWIW I get very (very) faint audio in my headphones too (Sennheiser HD600) with the headphone volume knob at 0. Can’t remember if it’s only in one side, will have to double check that, but I don’t think this in itself is a problem. Depending on the headphones you’re using it could be louder or quieter. At levels above min, the balance in L/R seems equal to my ears. I’ll try to remember later tonight to listen more closely and report back if it’s only the right channel. Anyway, glad yours seems to be solved. If it’s just a software glitch that can be fixed with a reset or update, that’s a great thing for others.

Hi guys, I wanted to follow up on this...any update in terms of whether the firmware juggle was a successful fix? Did it work and hold, e.g., after a power on/off? It didn't seem to fix it for me but maybe I did something wrong. I'd happily do this again if it were a fix! Seems weird that it would be a firmware issue but I want to believe ;-)

Is anyone able to confirm that the Helix floor ALWAYS has some sound seepage when the headphone knob is all the way to zero? 

It's a bit irritating, but I don't hear any of the sound distortion mentioned above. Yet, so many people in one thread with similar issues (knob at zero = faint sound) would seem to indicate it might be common.

I was tempted to ask through a support ticket, but if others on here can just confirm it's normal maybe I'll let it go. If it is fixable then I can contemplate that. 

Thanks!

I can't confirm that but I never noticed it before I had the problem. I'd say that if you don't hear the distortion, you likely don't have the problem although I guess seepage on its own is still weird.

I'd still be curious to hear whether anyone in the thread above found a permanent fix via a firmware change. Cheers,

/c

On 5/8/2020 at 3:16 AM, c_frederick said:

Yep, the same here. Exept for me it's the left side

Hey Guys, 
Did anybody have any luck in the end? I just bought a second-hand unit and got this issue of a loud left ear and much quieter right ear, although it's not distorted. Anybody have any luck with sending it to a tech and having hardware replaced? I've tried all the software and firmware resets and rollbacks that I can think of, should I just return it and get my money back and look for another one?

Sorry to hear that Elliot.

This is clearly a common problem for a number of Helix owners, and not one that Line6 seems particularly interested in addressing.

I hate to say it but in the end, I solved the problem by buying a UAD Apollo.

Turns out it is a problem with the physical headphone volume jack. 

Upon tapping it, aggressively turning the volume all the way up and down and more aggressively tapping on it, it seems to have knocked it back into working order. 

Although it doesn’t say this way permanently it makes it clear that it’s an issue with the physical jack cannot anything to do with firmware or software

Let me know if anyone who has this issue can trace it back to the physical volume knob