Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assigning effects buttons in fbv3

tecboy

Hey guys! Again, trying to understand my newly purchased POD HD PRO X. I am noticing each patch having its own effects are totally inconsistant. Perhaps, I am just missing the boat here. Is there no consistency to the scheme of effect assignments using my FBV3? For example, each preset has a certain effect chain, but the footswitch assignments are completely different, depending on the patch you select. My thinking is that Delay across the board would be assigned to lets say FS2, and distortion to lets say FS3, wah a standard FS switch number, etc. 

Upon loading different patches, each assignment is different. 

What confuses me even more is if I am purchasing patches for use, they have different assignments as well. FS1 could be Gate, FS2 distortion, etc. Am I crazy to assume there should be some consistency? Just trying to find an organized way to know what fs #'s to click to add or remove a particular effect, without having a template to show me the different assignments for each patch. PLease school me if I need schooling. Peace

1 hour ago, tecboy said:

.....Perhaps, I am just missing the boat here. Is there no consistency to the scheme of effect assignments using my FBV3? ...

.... Am I crazy to assume there should be some consistency? .."

You're not crazy, but what you are observing is correct. There is no consistency about footswitch assignments among presets other than whatever conventions you choose to impose and adhere to. There is no global setting that says anything like "FS1 is always assigned to a Stomp FX, FS2 to EQ,...., FS8 to Reverb". You impose your own personal preference and define it consistently in each preset. You then adapt any other downloaded presets to your style if you wish.

2 hours ago, tecboy said:

Am I crazy to assume there should be some consistency?

In Italy we say that it is "the other side of the coin", which in this case would be "inconsistency", being the main side instead "super-flexibility" that let everyone arrange things as they prefer instead of being forced to adere to a rigid fixed scheme.

This is one of the main reasons why I chose my device.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

46 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

In Italy we say that it is "the other side of the coin", which in this case would be "inconsistency", being the main side instead "super-flexibility" that let everyone arrange things as they prefer instead of being forced to adere to a rigid fixed scheme.

This is one of the main reasons why I chose my device.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

What scheme are you using? How do you remember assignments in the presets you use? Perhaps Im just not understanding some ways to do this? Maybe there is a much better way to do it and I am just not understanding those ways?

Thanks in advance - tec

1 hour ago, tecboy said:

What scheme are you using? How do you remember assignments in the presets you use? Perhaps Im just not understanding some ways to do this? Maybe there is a much better way to do it and I am just not understanding those ways?

Thanks in advance - tec

I don't use always the same scheme but when I set my POD in PRESET footswitch mode (ABCD, ie the bottom row FS work to change presets) I tend to put the gain/distortion FXs first on the LEFT side and the modulation and time based FXs on the right..

but since I often use the pedalboard footswitch mode (FS 5-8, ie all 8 FS work to switch on/off the assigned FXs) I often leave the automatic assignments (that take place when the effects are inserted in the chain) as they are, practically they reflect the order in which I put them going from my guitar to the amp and after the amp.
At the end it's like using a real pedal board with all its stomboxes connected one after the other..

If you press the VIEW button you can scroll between 3 different VIEW screens: Signal Flow View, Performance View, and Big User View..

The one you need to select to see what every footswitch does (and if the assigned FX is on/off) in a given patch is called "Performance View" (see the pic below here):

lpg1dh2.png or vsJhvXd.png

..where you can clearly see the 2 rows of footswitches (top and bottom) and to what every FS has been assigned (FX or preset, depending on the general footswitch mode selected: FS 5-8 or ABCD)

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

6 hours ago, hurghanico said:

I don't use always the same scheme but when I set my POD in PRESET footswitch mode (ABCD, ie the bottom row FS work to change presets) I tend to put the gain/distortion FXs first on the LEFT side and the modulation and time based FXs on the right..

but since I often use the pedalboard footswitch mode (FS 5-8, ie all 8 FS work to switch on/off the assigned FXs) I often leave the automatic assignments (that take place when the effects are inserted in the chain) as they are, practically they reflect the order in which I put them going from my guitar to the amp and after the amp.
At the end it's like using a real pedal board with all its stomboxes connected one after the other..

If you press the VIEW button you can scroll between 3 different VIEW screens: Signal Flow View, Performance View, and Big User View..

The one you need to select to see what every footswitch does (and if the assigned FX is on/off) in a given patch is called "Performance View" (see the pic below here):

lpg1dh2.png or vsJhvXd.png

..where you can clearly see the 2 rows of footswitches (top and bottom) and to what every FS has been assigned (FX or preset, depending on the general footswitch mode selected: FS 5-8 or ABCD)

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thanks for your response. For now, I am just setting up the presets I like for particular songs and naming each after the song name in the setlist. Seems like the most logical thing to do at this junction. As long as I have them listed in the order I play them, im good. I use a program on my ipad, that soon will call the song up by selecting the song and using midi commands. Working on setting that up as well. Setlistmaker and using midi commands. Well see how that works out. Thanks again