Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Stomp first thoughts

guitarboy_02451

Not new to L6, started on original red POD, then POD 2.0 then POD HD, then POD HD 500... After my recording projects were done, I always parted ways because those solutions seemed to be silo'd to me. Meaning, I never incorporated them into a live rig, which consists of two Dr. Z amps and a boutique set of pedals.  I also have an old Avid Eleven Rack cabled into my PT rig.

When I realized my board was heavy on drives and distortion pedals, I started looking into more expensive mod/time-based pedals and then I discovered a video by Richie Castellano on 6 ways to setup and use the HX Stomp. That peaked my interest. So I completely rebuilt my board around the Stomp, to include the L6 / Mission Engineering Helix Expression pedal. I had to do some tweaking to make the toe button FS5 as I wanted it to enable some blocks that it otherwise didn't natively enable out of the box. 

I put all my pedals in the loop of the Stomp, and put the Stomp in the loop of my Empress + Buffer, and from there goes to one of my two Z's (whichever one I feel like playing). The Reverbs, Delays, volume, wah, and other mod/time-based effects are STUNNING!!! So I set up a few patches, now I just have to figure out how to go form 34A to 34B while their in the Stomp mode... 

Now onto the amps and cabs. Like I said, I've been into modeling for a while, and it was always just "ok"..... I always prefer mic'ing cabs (I have a good assortment of ribbon's, small diaphragm condensers, large diaphragm condensers and tons of 57's). Typically I do a ribbon + small condenser or 57 + small condenser... Both off axis.

Last night for the first time, I patched in L/R 1/4" outs into my pre's and quickly dialed up the clean Friedman and enabled a stereo track in ProTools. The tone was blissful, I could have jammed for hours just with that amp, native cab and a bit of verb... I threw the Minitor (sp) on it for some drive and was blown away.

Now it's got me thinking, is it time for a Power Cab + 212? I'd prefer low volume, sound... my Z's have the Z-Brake for attenuation. I have to admit, I'm thoroughly blown away, and impressed with the quality of the unit. I'm also finding getting around and doing some advanced things isn't all that difficult. Back in the day I used to have  Digitech 2112 and if anyone knows that platform, you had to be somewhat of an engineer on that. 

I also like the simplicity of the Stomp, I'm a simple guy... my amps are hand-wired, point-to-point with some NOS tubs... I think the Helix or Helix LT would have been complete overkill for my brain to wrap around... If you give me hundred parameters, I'm the type that thinks I need to use all of them. The Stomp is small, simple, quick to get going and I don't use the editing software.  I also don't really see having dozens of patches. I only use Dr.Z amps and have two (Carmen Ghia & Maz 38) so I don't see utilizing 50 million amps that this offers. I like the Placator, probably a Fender and a Matchless or Vox patch. I don't play metal and I'm not a huge Mesa or Marshall fan. I've owned plento Marshalls, but always leaned towards a Fender/Dumble thing. 

My only wish from Line 6 is that instead of the Dr. Z RT 66, that you please include a MAZ 18 or MAZ 38. Those two are really the workhorse of the Z fleet, and for good nature perhaps add a Carmen Ghia. The RT 66 is more niche than mainstream, IMO... Doc will probably correct me on that though. 

I could totally see using this both in my guitar rig, recording and if I ever got to play live again. This is my initial thoughts on this little box. I hope this helps anyone that's on the fence. 

• Like 2