Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects scribble strip issue (fixed)

rdnie

Just wanted to share my experience with a particular scribble strip issue, hope this can be helpful.

tl;dr I fixed a glitchy scribble strip by cleaning and/or reconnecting the LCD flex cable.

At some point my HX Effects unit developed a particular issue with one of its scribble strip LCDs. It would start and run normally for a couple of minutes, then part of the pixels would shift left or right, some of the lines would dim, only a quarter of the screen would refresh when going into menus etc. (see pics and video)

niwA2gA.jpg

yNYRD3Q.jpgmOBYze1.jpg

https://youtu.be/ndTZ9JALhRE

I was going to order a replacement LCD, but the fact that it worked fine for some time after startup made me think it may be a temperature-related contact issue. So I disassembled the unit enough to get access to the LCD flex cable slots, released the cable (as shown in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnOmFijBYIM), cleaned it with isopropyl alcohol and put it back in the slot. I’m not sure if it’s the cleaning or resetting the cable that helped, but hey, the scribble strip is fine now!

This likely won’t help with dead pixels on some LCDs (seems to be a totally different issue), but it seems to work for this particular case.

WARNING
- This will void your warranty

- You do this at your own risk and should take all necessary precautions to avoid damaging the device components and hurting yourself. If you aren't sure, don't do it

• 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

So I have to add my scenario and list it as solved by this as well...

I had a strange issue where my HX Effects shifted all of the scribble strips to where 5-6 were displaying on 1-2 and all the rest were blank.  Buttons were all still normally mapped, but 5-6 controlled screen 1-2!  This made the unit impossible to use as I could not see any of the values for the real 1-4 displays.  Global Settings would also strangely display the signal path icons spread across all scribble strips!!!

Warning, will void your warranty!!!

After reading this I took off the bottom cover (remove side panels with allen wrench, 6 bottom screws, 2 side screws, and 2 back screws) and noticed that the main ribbon cable was slightly raised on the right side.  Pushed it down, re-assembled, and it works great!  

Line6 needs to use locking sockets or get better hot glue! 

20221112_145824.jpg

• 2 months later...

One of my LCD went off !! The preset and snapshots work OK but it's hard to use on stage.

Any one has had the same issue?

There was a video (2019)  showing the access to the LCD but it's been deleted. Can the owner repost it ?

Last, If I need to change the LCD where should I buy it? any reference ?

Thank you

Jean-Michel 

IMG_4616.jpg