Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How To Control The Looper Volume With Expression Pedal?

dflorey

I'm really getting mad... how can I control the looper output volume using the expression pedal?

This works fine in M9 but I do not find a way to assign the looper output volume to the exp2.

I want to fade out the loop but of course keep the overall output.

What am I missing?

The looper is the most disappointing feature on my HD500.  It's the first item in the signal chain meaning it will never behave the way a person will expect, it only records the dry signal from the guitar, making it impossible to record a rhythm or part with one patch/tone and then layer another tone over top of it... as soon as you switch anything in the chain it affects the recorded loop.  Why anybody would want a looper to do this escapes me?

I love the HD500 but the looper is pretty much a wasted/nearly-useless feature in my opinion

If someone knows a way to put it last in the chain, that'd be super and I'd take back all the bad stuff I say about it.

To the OP:  you could fade out by using your guitar's volume pot, remember the looper is recording the dry signal so the only way to affect it is by affecting the signal going into the POD.

The looper is the most disappointing feature on my HD500.  It's the first item in the signal chain meaning it will never behave the way a person will expect, it only records the dry signal from the guitar, making it impossible to record a rhythm or part with one patch/tone and then layer another tone over top of it... as soon as you switch anything in the chain it affects the recorded loop.  Why anybody would want a looper to do this escapes me?

I love the HD500 but the looper is pretty much a wasted/nearly-useless feature in my opinion

If someone knows a way to put it last in the chain, that'

In looper mode, simply step on the switch labeled pre/post... This moves the looper to end of the chain. I guess you'll have to take it all back now... :)

In looper mode, simply step on the switch labeled pre/post... This moves the looper to end of the chain. I guess you'll have to take it all back now... :)

I do! I do! I take it all back!!!

Wow, do I feel like a dummy!  It was right there staring at me the whole time too... yikes.  I guess that's what happens when you dont RTFM (or in this case RTFL (labels))...

I'm glad you pointed this out though, thanks so much... I'm super excited.  :)

don't be so quick to take it back... surely thats a big improvement over what you thought it could do...

but the looper is kind of a throw in bonus without being a fully featured pro looper....

:)

I do! I do! I take it all back!!!

Wow, do I feel like a dummy!  It was right there staring at me the whole time too... yikes.  I guess that's what happens when you dont RTFM (or in this case RTFL (labels))...

I'm glad you pointed this out though, thanks so much... I'm super excited.   :)

"The looper is the most disappointing feature on my HD500.  It's the first item in the signal chain meaning it will never behave the way a person will expect, it only records the dry signal from the guitar, making it impossible to record a rhythm or part with one patch/tone and then layer another tone over top of it... as soon as you switch anything in the chain it affects the recorded loop.  Why anybody would want a looper to do this escapes me?"

Actually this is a great feature - ok live it is only for some trick effects, but have you tried using when setting up patches on the HD500?  Just play a bit of the song you want a patch for with the looper in pre position and then put the guitar down.  You are now free to engage brain, ears and hands in setting up the patch while the HD500 plays the guitar for you  - this is a serious time saver because it can be very hard to set up the HD500 to give a perfect sound at the best of times.

• Upvote 3

• 11 months later...

Not only can the M13/9 do it, but my old DL4 can. There is even a 'loop volume' parameter in the HD, but no way to assign it to an expression pedal. No idea how that one slipped through, but a lot of looping guitarists that love the DL4 and M series thought they hit the jackpot with the HD, but quickly returned to their old pedals. BTW, I brought this issue up in 2010 when I first got the HD, it never appeared in any update. I have been told various things like "it might make the next update" and "we aren't going to open the code of the HD500, as it might break something else- the people who did that don't work here anymore". 

Who knows. But I don't use my HD as much as I thought I would. Because. of. this.