Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Harmonizer Help

outlawten5

Learning Detroit Rock City and would like to emulate 2 guitars for the solo. Is a harmonizer the effect to use? Some help setting it up? I use a Thin Lizzy patch from Customtone for Kiss songs as it has a pitch wham for Eb tuning so it would be great for The Boys Are Back In Town as well.  Thanks

32 minutes ago, outlawten5 said:

Where in the chain do you put it?

I've done all sorts of things with it, but generally you want it really early in the chain, if not at the very start. If you stick it to far at the end then you're doubling things like reverb trails and in my opinion it gets really muddy.  Where you're trying to double a lead tone I'd probably start at the front of the chain and then if you're not satisfied slowly move it back. 

Most of the time when I use it it's to create a subtle effect in the background, so I've experimented a lot with putting it on its own path (B) and then adding effects to it to my liking, but it's always as more of a supporting role. 

When it comes to harmony leads I always depend on the Twin Harmony which can support up to three guitar harmonies, which I've used for some of Brian May's Queen leads for example, but mostly i tend to use it for dual harmonies on stuff like Joe Walsh or Allman Bros.  It's sometimes tricky to get right, but easier if you're familiar with the keys, scales and modes you'll be using.  For more complex harmonies like those from Hotel California, you may need to use snapshots to adjust the parameters to fit with the chord being played.  I've found it to also be handy in situations where there are just brief passages that contain a guitar harmony by using it in momentary mode.  I've always placed it right after the amp and cab/IR, but I've heard some people say they get good results between the amp and cab/IR.  When I've tried placing it earlier in the chain (before the distortion pedal) I've gotten too many artifacts and a lack of definition on the harmony lines.