Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT25 vs. PowerCab?

scottwilliams

This is probably coincidence, but have had 2 issues lately that seem potentially related to using helix with the DT25.   First, my helix lost all output shortly after connecting to DT25 (which was sounding great BTW).   Luckily have the extended warrantee on helix and that was repaired and has seemed fine for a month or so now.  Have since tried the DT25 on 2 gigs and was fine.  today was trying some new settings on helix (in particular playing with the DT25 Class A, class A/B and pentode/triode options, which are a great feature) ... was playing a bit after making adjsutments and then there was a volume drop and I heard a little 'static' then the amp died.. no power light, no sound.  

Speaker protection fuse was fine.

Questions:

1. I have seen some threads indicating that tubes could cause problem... if it's just tubes, would power still not even come on?  Should I just try new tubes first?

2. I'm assuming that if I take in for service, could be $300 roughly, which isn't awful, but wondering if anyone has compared the sound and feel of the DT25 with the Powercab?  

3. Is there any reason to think that the powercabs might play more nicely with helix than DT25?   any reason to think powercabs would be any more reliable than DT25?

Any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

49 minutes ago, scottwilliams said:

1. I have seen some threads indicating that tubes could cause problem... if it's just tubes, would power still not even come on?  Should I just try new tubes first?

Bad tubes would not prevent the amp from powering up.

Scott,

Absolutely, tubes would not prevent the AMP from powering up, it would just not make any sound... Also, as far as the power cabs playing nicer with the HELIX, other than the Line6 link being an afterthought between the helix and DT, that is NOT what is killing your amp, there is no power being send through that cable (the only thing that could kill it, and even then, I would think the HELIX would die, not the amp). It's a coincidence, but your amp is just dying, period, sorry man.