Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Gearbox Is Dead, What A Shame.

GregTBD

Hi.

I always use GearBox for edition on POD X3 PRO, it was so simple for moving presets from places to places, interchange  them and copying, editing, save and restore.

But now with the newest driver 7.3.6. GearBox & PODX3PRO won't never work together. I've read on the website that

GearBox is no longer available. Can't believe that, it is the best app. for me.

Have you explanations, or everything else to replace this app. I try to go back with an old driver but I can't do...

Hope you can help me, or Line6 please to update GearBox.

Greg.

• Upvote 1

the legacy page is in regards to the gearbox plugin....

the gearbox editor is still viable... although updates are highly unlikely... it should work.

i suspect that you are using a mac from the driver number... i could be wrong....

if thats the case it needs to be an intel mac.

if thats the case, i'd contact support, they can probably walk you through this easily.

Yes, GearBox 3.72 still in that page, but doesn't work with new driver 7.3.6. in my POD.
At this address, you can read no longer made... : http://line6.com/legacy/gearbox.
I don't know how to reinstall an older driver in the POD.
Thanks for your help. Best regards. Greg.

Yes right. 

I use a MacBook Pro, intel, with OSX 10.9.1. GearBox 3.72. Driver 7.3.6.

When opening GearBox, a message about a non-correct driver.

When I go far, GearBox download the data from the POD X3 PRO, but no amp appear in the "GearBox" window

and when I click on a Tone in the "Hardware Memory Window" it disappear immediately.

the legacy page is in regards to the gearbox plugin....

the gearbox editor is still viable... although updates are highly unlikely... it should work.

i suspect that you are using a mac from the driver number... i could be wrong....

if thats the case it needs to be an intel mac.

if thats the case, i'd contact support, they can probably walk you through this easily.

this worked for another guy on the forum:

To remove driver 7.3.6

1- On a terminal run this command   sudo pkgutil --forget com.line6.driver.xtaudio.package (enter)

2- Then this sudo pkgutil --forget com.line6.driver.xtmidi.package (enter)

3- Reboot

To install driver 7.2.9

4- Downloaded driver version 7.2.9  http://line6.com/sof...a.html?rid=5675

5- Run the 7.2.9 driver package to install it and ended the process with a reboot

Yes right. 

I use a MacBook Pro, intel, with OSX 10.9.1. GearBox 3.72. Driver 7.3.6.

When opening GearBox, a message about a non-correct driver.

When I go far, GearBox download the data from the POD X3 PRO, but no amp appear in the "GearBox" window

and when I click on a Tone in the "Hardware Memory Window" it disappear immediately.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Having the same problem, tried the link to the driver above which I assumed by the post was for Pod X3 Live, and it takes me to the StageScape M20d drivers.... Please help, what am I missing....?

Many thanks.

Mark.

• 2 weeks later...

The trick to solve the problem is easy :

Uninstall the driver version 7.3.6 with the utility found in the Line 6 folder : Line 6 Driver Uninstaller

Reinstall the driver version 7.2.9. This solves the problem.

This older driver can be found on he Line 6 website.

Why doesn't Line 6 work on an update of driver version 7.3.6. It's a shame.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

I am VERY disappointed and depressed about line6 support. I've been a POD user for a decade, having changed POD 2, xt, X3....

I can't believe this is the kind of support for thousands of people owning MACs (as the majority in audio engineering does). I am trying to find some kind of software that works for backing up patches, changing names, or searching through cabs and preamps. Unfortunately Gearbox needs a "hack" to work on the latest MAC OS X with the latest driver provided by Line6 themselves. This is really a shame for a company that has been trusted for many generations of PODs among musicians. 

Another thing is that Gearbox seems last updated... 

Line6, really? 

• Upvote 3

• 6 months later...

If you downgrade driver, you'll get kernal panics on usb removal or x3 switchoff.....  Restarting your mac and losing work each time it happens accidentally....

I upgraded my mac (old one was PPC - not supported after a while!) in order to sort these problems out!  lol!

I have requested that they open-source retired software, I suggest guys you do the same.

Not a Mac dude myself, but I support open source software and that is a good idea though I don't know how much proprietary code would be in Gearbox that L6 would want out there. IMO it is a competitive market and the editors can be a big tipping point in sales.

-B

Not a Mac dude myself, but I support open source software and that is a good idea though I don't know how much proprietary code would be in Gearbox that L6 would want out there. IMO it is a competitive market and the editors can be a big tipping point in sales.

-B

True-ish.

If the software is retired it costs us money in upgrades, on something that technically speaking only needs to be replaced because of a few software compiler flags. 

Cool my man,

I'll go check it out and give you a vote tomorrow!

Edit: Done - hopefully L6 Legal won't be running around the office sputtering and muttering too much :)

-B

I'm looking into hacking the mac installer scripts and some contents.  I got gearbox to run on yosemite, but it just tells me that the x3 is using an incomnpatible driver and will be ignored.  It gets singled out once recognised, so i'll start with that tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a discussion on another string regarding Gearbox. The string started because X3 was causing the Mac to crash when plugged in using USB. Then the discussion morphed to people complaining that Gearbox isn't being supported. 

I started looking on other strings to see if there are others and I see that there are.

Line 6 has chimed in to say that there are no plans to update Gearbox but I sure hope they do. I got the X3 because it has all the bass amp/cab models. L6 doesn't make anything for bass players any more and I believe that it's a financial decision as they probably found that marketing to the guitar market is much more profitable than the bass market. Since they don't work in the bass arena anymore I hope they will put a little bit of time into updating Grearbox for some goodwill as I see that they have left many players in a tough position by not supporting the software that many of us use with our X3. 

Just my thoughts...

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is a discussion on another string regarding Gearbox. The string started because X3 was causing the Mac to crash when plugged in using USB. Then the discussion morphed to people complaining that Gearbox isn't being supported. 

I started looking on other strings to see if there are others and I see that there are.

Line 6 has chimed in to say that there are no plans to update Gearbox but I sure hope they do. I got the X3 because it has all the bass amp/cab models. L6 doesn't make anything for bass players any more and I believe that it's a financial decision as they probably found that marketing to the guitar market is much more profitable than the bass market. Since they don't work in the bass arena anymore I hope they will put a little bit of time into updating Grearbox for some goodwill as I see that they have left many players in a tough position by not supporting the software that many of us use with our X3. 

Just my thoughts...

Go to Digitech..... (BP 355 is what you're after, a third of the price of the original cost of the X3L)

Unfortunately, now gearbox is not even available as a download. I was using Gearbox this morning, ran line 6 monkey and did the suggested upgrades, now gearbox won't recognize my DI Gold at all, or if it does, none of the upgraded model packs.

There's got to be something that can be done when you can't use what worked yesterday, because of their suggested updates?

gearbox is still available and as far as i know, still working on all windows computers...

true gearbox is no longer supported or updated...

the only issue that i know that makes gearbox not work is an apple update called Yosemite....

if that doesn't apply to you... then the issue is probably something else.

I'm also upset that Line6 basically left their Guitarport/Gearbox units to die. Gearbox was and is the best damn software out there. I can't find a replacement and I know someday I'll need to. The functionality of that software is incredible. Nobody even includes mp3 players with their software any more. Gearbox has the mp3 player, section looper, half speed w/o pitch change. Just a shame they left it to die and everything with it. When mine quits working that's where Line6 and I part ways.

GEARBOX IS ALIVE AGAIN!

So I got the Gearbox partially working on Yosemite yesterday... Today I think I managed to get it working all the way.

The solution is a follows:

• Download and open Gearbox 3.72.dmg
  • Right click the GearBox.mpkg icon
  • Left click 'Show Package Contents'
  • Double click 'Contents' folder
  • Double click 'Packages' folder
  • You should now see 10 individual packages... Install each one

Note: If you previously installed Monkey with a newer driver, it will not allow you to install the drivers in this package... You will need to uninstall the newer drivers first, then you should be good to go. Search the forum for details on how to uninstall the drivers using command prompt. Someone else posted instructions on how to do this... They also suggested another driver to use... I tried to install that one first and it wouldn't let me, so I ended up installing the drivers from the from the GearBox package above...

Anyway, I am running Yosemite 10.10.1 on a MacBook Pro Retina, with a POD X3 Live, and so far it is working fine... No panic attacks... I was able to create and upload a tone to one of my user presets... 

By the way, before this, I did update the firmware on the X3 using a a separate version of Monkey that I had downloaded previously. I am not sure is this have any relevance with regard to MAC and the X3 playing nicely together once I reinstalled the old drivers.

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gearbox downloads are still available.  go to http://line6.com/software   Select "Gearbox" and -All OS-  If you need an older version, you may need to check the "Archive" box

apparently, there is no longer a download

GearBox                          - All software -                                  GearBox                          - All OS -                                        - All OS -
GO Beta  Archived
At this time, there is no  archived software available that matches your selection.

fortunately, I still had an old DL on backup, but it's not cool to not still have the software DL for those of us with Gearbox DI Gold etc.. with ALL THE MODELS

Final versions are still freely available for download...

Windows download: http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=3121

Mac Download: http://line6.com/software/readeula.html?rid=3120

not sure where you are going wrong.

apparently, there is no longer a download

GearBox                          - All software -                                  GearBox                          - All OS -                                        - All OS -
GO Beta  Archived
At this time, there is no  archived software available that matches your selection.

fortunately, I still had an old DL on backup, but it's not cool to not still have the software DL for those of us with Gearbox DI Gold etc.. with ALL THE MODELS

• 1 month later...

I hope GearBox lives forever.....why L6 has to rename it and constantly ignore it at times is a mystery, as its probably the strongest positive Ive read about Line 6....strange how businesses works sometimes?

I guess reinventing yourself is required of all businesses, but is it that hard to keep something alive thats a foundation for a lot of happy customers, who then spread the word all over?

I hope they maintain some type of free download of GEar Box, in addition to creating great new stuff.

I was happy when I plugged in my X3Pro and kabooom!! theres my GearBox!!!! very good. 

its available and its fine for most users....

it just simply wont be updated any more...

not going away... just at the is what it is point in its life....

its never been renamed or anything like what you suggest... there are just other programs available.

I hope GearBox lives forever.....why L6 has to rename it and constantly ignore it at times is a mystery, as its probably the strongest positive Ive read about Line 6....strange how businesses works sometimes?

I guess reinventing yourself is required of all businesses, but is it that hard to keep something alive thats a foundation for a lot of happy customers, who then spread the word all over?

I hope they maintain some type of free download of GEar Box, in addition to creating great new stuff.

I was happy when I plugged in my X3Pro and kabooom!! theres my GearBox!!!! very good. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've just changed from a PC to a Mac running Yeosmite and I can't get gearbox to work with my POD X3. As I'm new to Macs could someone run through how to get the software to work. I've installed Monkey 1.68 which found the POD, but no Gearbox. Do I have to uninstall monkey? Help!

• 7 months later...

I understand that products do get old at some point

Telling a customer that has spent nearly a $1000 on Pod X3 Pro &  Floorboard II  that theres no way to edit a patch on their pc/mac is like pissing on your paying customers

It doesn't cost much to recompile a code base (I am a programmer) especially when the code in question makes use of open source libraries 

PNGLib. ZLib. etc etc  (GearBox About.....)  . Open source the editor so people can maintain it.

Or just document the api calls so people can get/set data to/from a pod unit.

Or make their editor modular with plugins to support old & upcoming units 

I had considered looking at the Helix but after 2 bad experiences in a row with Line 6, I would not consider buying their products.

Its ironic that I get more support from Digitech on a used 2120 unit that I bought back in 2004 ...now thats customer service...

...and I'm not even a professional musician....just an average guy who like to play guitar once in a while..

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am VERY disappointed and depressed about line6 support. I've been a POD user for a decade, having changed POD 2, xt, X3....

I can't believe this is the kind of support for thousands of people owning MACs (as the majority in audio engineering does). I am trying to find some kind of software that works for backing up patches, changing names, or searching through cabs and preamps. Unfortunately Gearbox needs a "hack" to work on the latest MAC OS X with the latest driver provided by Line6 themselves. This is really a shame for a company that has been trusted for many generations of PODs among musicians. 

Another thing is that Gearbox seems last updated... 

Line6, really? 

Yeah it sucks. I have also Live XT for about ten year. Works great, solid as rock, hardware done great, but software support sucks. WHY!?

• 1 month later...

That's a better question for M-Soft and Apple. L6 didn't change their code they did - each OS has limited legacy support.

You know, Apple didn't sell me the music gear. And if we could go backwards in system updates, I bet most of us would. I certainly would. These little invisible system "improvements" break our gear.

In the meantime, we've been legacy-ed to death. Funny, my Korg A3 (from the early 90s) still works fine... 

At all events GRRRR! I didn't rent this gear, I bought it!

• 1 month later...

Wow. Like others, I'm horrified at the lack of love for loyal customers. Sorry but making any comments about the world moving on, aka OS vendors updating their operating systems is just stupid. 

At the end of the day, Line6 has decided to stop supporting their product. Probably because they want you to buy their new product, and this is their strategy. What you buy today will be supported for a year, and then you need to buy the next version. 

While the product still works (in my case a POD X3 Live), I can't edit it any more easily - I miss GearBox... which just boggles my mind. Why can't I save POD Farm patches to my X3? It's what, a couple of lines of code to enable this? Sure kill off Gearbox, which btw was awesome, but replace it with nothing???  My pain is that I want a solution... bake it into one of your supported and developed products if you're adamant to kill of GearBox...

Please come up with a sensible solution. 

• 1 month later...