Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Assign Capo to pushbuttons on HELIX

RiffRon

I have a JTV-69 and a HELIX.  I have created a Variax Acoustic Preset.  I want to assign a number of pushbuttons to Capo positions 2 through 5 without using snapshots.  Can this be done?  Seems if I try to assign more than one pushbutton to the strings, they overwrite the previous one.

You can do it easily using snapshots. Not sure you can do it without.

But you could do it using Workbench HD and a few models in one  of the Custom banks. You would switch using the JTV model knob and/or pickup selector switch rather than a Helix footswitch.

36 minutes ago, RiffRon said:

I already have Variax Custom-1-1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 assigned to Capo 1, Capo 2, etc on the 5-way switch.  I'd rather have 5 push buttons on the HELIX Preset.

I don't think this can be done without snapshots.

I am presuming you don't want to tie up snapshot positions with this task.  Why not copy the preset into 5 different locations... then assign each preset a different "capo position" on the Helix.... named accordingly for quick access. 

I think this is a real shortcoming for an otherwise universal tool.  I can assign an expression pedal to cycle through my "custom 1" Capo positions, but there is no visual feedback indicating which model is selected.  That would be another nice feature.

On 11/1/2019 at 3:20 PM, RiffRon said:

I have a JTV-69 and a HELIX.  I have created a Variax Acoustic Preset.  I want to assign a number of pushbuttons to Capo positions 2 through 5 without using snapshots.  Can this be done?  Seems if I try to assign more than one pushbutton to the strings, they overwrite the previous one.

Just to confirm what method you are using to capo? Are you changing the custom tuning for each string under the Variax input block to change "capo" positions or do you have presets on the Variax set up for the various capo positions?  Either way I would probably opt for using snapshots to switch them. A parameter on the Helix (e.g a Variax string tuning) as you know can only be assigned to one footswitch when you are using stomp assignments. If you want to capo by using custom string tunings on the Helix, snapshots are the way to go. They are also an easy way to switch through presets on the Vairax itself. Curious, why do you prefer to do this just using stomp assignments?

• 2 weeks later...

I have "Custom 1" on the Variax set to the first five capo positions.  I prefer to have the stomp buttons so I can have other stomp-boxes assigned as well as the capo push-buttons. So right now I can have two presets; one using the "Custom 1" and one using the custom tunings.

On 11/1/2019 at 7:20 PM, RiffRon said:

My apologies up front for this response as it may be seen as off topic or sarcastic, none of which are intended - but why can't you use a real Capo? I love my LT but this sounds like trying to use tech for tech's sake when there is a perfectly good solution already available.

Just a thought.

7 hours ago, jmb41985 said:

My apologies up front for this response as it may be seen as off topic or sarcastic, none of which are intended - but why can't you use a real Capo? I love my LT but this sounds like trying to use tech for tech's sake when there is a perfectly good solution already available.

Just a thought.

Two sides:

I have all my tunings (capo and alternate tuning) controlled by snapshots/presets, mostly because the majority of material I perform is segues which wouldn’t allow time for guitar switches and capo placement. Having it all at my feet (or in custom models accessed by pickup selector switch on JTV when I am playing wirelessly) has been a game-changer. Before this technology, we would actually change set lists to accommodate the changes, now we can build set lists with the best aesthetic choices, not worrying about the logistics.

However... for pure capo behavior (meaning all 6 strings pitched upwards from open), using a real capo sounds significantly better than electronic transposition, particularly when going beyond a step/minor 3rd or so. If the guitar part is exposed, this can make a big difference. 

• Upvote 1