Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Global Loudness EQ Curves

PZ456789

As a proud and very happy owner of a HX Stomp I ask myself if you Helix guys have ever thought of integrating a Fletcher Munson Loudness EQ into the global section.

I think that could help with dialing in settings in quiter environments. It's really hard to create sounds at low volumes that work when playing in a band. It could be prepared curves A (bed room), B (basement, a bit louder), C (rehearsal, louder) and D (quiet gig) or so. Maybe 2 or 3 are enough, yo don't know. You just have to pick a curve fitting to your needs.

Just a thought!

It would be cool if you could create and save several Global EQ curves. Unfortunately it's either on or off so to make a Fletcher Munson curve for all those different environments would require you to reprogram the global EQ each time. That may change in a another update but I really honestly don't know..

I think it should be totally possible to have an effect you could just apply  - it would be a curve that you could adjust to simulate different levels.

It would not be 100% reliable though - so many factors like distance from source and the Flatness of that source at different levels.

Then there are other decisions you might make differently at level.  I find you change drive level as the guitar starts to respond to the speaker and some natural feedback starts to happen.  So it would not be a total solution, but you might find a setting that helped you set up sounds at home that needed a lot less tweaking at volume.

I've been trying to get that happening with Native and an external (DAW based) EQ.  Not having huge success so far, but I think it's potentially possible.

Even though I don't use global EQ, I wouldn't be against this - I could see it being handy. 

That said, old habits die hard for me and my age old method (since the 80's) for storing settings would work perfectly fine for this. I always keep a notepad and pen/pencil in my gear bag... writing down the settings for each room really wouldn't take long. Recall wouldn't take longer than 30 seconds to enter in the settings... you just couldn't change them on the fly, but that isn't the job of the global EQ anyway.

I'm NOT saying it's the perfect solution in this day and age.. I'm just providing a quick and dirty method for achieving what you are after :) 

I'm not having too much issues with the global EQ in its present incarnation to partially help me in defeating Fletcher-Munson.Typically, I have a rather broad midband ready to roll and just boost it a little, which is kinda like the opposite of a loudness button on home HiFi systems.

That way, I only need to deal with adjusting one band and perhaps the center frequency.

In addition, as long as the global adjustment options are as limited as they are right now, I'm a strict "one patch per gig" guy (might become a different story on a larger tour project which might start somewhen next year, but that's nothing relevant for now...), so I can adress the issue at two points in the signal chain. Last block in my signal chain is always an EQ, I use that to actually balance the patch (and what goes the FOH route as well) whereas the global EQ is dedicated for my own monitor path only. So far this is working really well for me.

• 3 years later...