Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Laney LFR-112 or Powercab?

ledvedder5150

2 hours ago, ledvedder5150 said:

Everyone that has tried both, which do you prefer for live use? 

You might want to fix the thread title - LFR-112.

Not that it'll help a lot. The place most of us (in the U.S.) go to try stuff out is Guitar Center, and they don't carry it.

Apart from Thomann, I don't see anybody carrying it in the U.S.

Maybe there's somebody in Europe who's actually tried one?

There might be someone on the Fractal or Kemper forums who've tried it.

I checked out a couple of the Laney YT vids. Didn't sound all that good. Doesn't help that they're touting it as 400 watts, which is probably peak. Thomann says 200 watts.

BUT... it has a cool LED light over the logo! Maybe it's like hot rod parts - "Chrome air filter covers double horsepower!" :-)

I think it's gonna be really hard to obtain an answer (and mostly for a gig comparison)....

In europe, it's hard to find a shop with PC+ (and i've never seen the Laney too). I had to order the PC+ on the web, no other choice....

So, to have a shop with those two devices, a painful....

Furthermore, i've never been happy with my tries in shops. All those kind of devices needs some sound tweaks to be improved.

I assume you'll only find feedbacks from poeple who has bought one of these devices, and who are happy or unhappy with it.

They can eventually talk about advantages and drawbacks too....

I dont know about the laney cabs but i have 2 powercab plus cabs and dont like the sound on FRFR but using the speaker simulations on the PC's sounds great... so I send IR's to the XLR

outs and send digital out to the powercabs and you can change speaker types with presets or snapshots.....

43 minutes ago, ledvedder5150 said:

I think this sounds pretty good, 

Would you say the Powercab sounds better? 

If you like the way something (ANYTHING) sounds in a YT video, it's worth finding one to try. If you BUY something based on the way it sounds in a YT video, make sure you have return privileges.

I have one.  I don't know how it compares with PowerCab, but I'm fairly happy with mine.  The price is pretty good, and I have a sentimental attachment to the brand.  It also looks more rock and roll than an Alto/Headrush and especially the Studiospares 1x15"+horn I was previously using.  I've always liked the way Laney design cabs of this size with the recessed grab handles and its pretty easy to lug around.  It is surprisingly deep - a bit like a Zilla Fatboy - which with the rear ports must contribute to the bass response.

I use it in FRFR mode but it does have a speaker emulation mode to replace your IRs/cab simulations, which on a brief play does improve the 'amp in the room' feel, although its nowhere near as flexible as the Line 6 specification.

6 hours ago, arkieboy said:

I have one.  I don't know how it compares with PowerCab, but I'm fairly happy with mine.  The price is pretty good, and I have a sentimental attachment to the brand.  It also looks more rock and roll than an Alto/Headrush and especially the Studiospares 1x15"+horn I was previously using.  I've always liked the way Laney design cabs of this size with the recessed grab handles and its pretty easy to lug around.  It is surprisingly deep - a bit like a Zilla Fatboy - which with the rear ports must contribute to the bass response.

I use it in FRFR mode but it does have a speaker emulation mode to replace your IRs/cab simulations, which on a brief play does improve the 'amp in the room' feel, although its nowhere near as flexible as the Line 6 specification.

This doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement. 

10 hours ago, ledvedder5150 said:

This doesn't sound like a glowing endorsement. 

There are very few pieces of gear I own for which I would give an unconditional endorsement - everything has pros and cons.  In any case being unrealistically enthusiastic isn't helpful to yourself or to others.

The LFR112 is exactly what you would expect - a well made, reasonably priced guitar oriented monitor speaker with a pretty flat response and plenty of level for rehearsal.  If you want a =perfect= translation from your studio monitors to your stage monitoring solution you're going to have to spend quite a bit more so be prepared to tweak.

Would I buy it again?  Yes.  Might I buy a second for stereo?  Possibly.  Would I have bought some Matrix gear had I £2k handy.  Probably!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

First I haven't tried the Line 6 Powercab but I own a Laney LFR-112. It's a great frfr with a more classic guitar cabinet look (If you don't turn the LED on;-)) I have owned Alto TS-210 keep blowing that up and it's sound was lacking. I have af Yamaha DXR10 and the Laney LFR-112 now. I can say that building my sounds on the DXR10 at home and bringing them to rehearsal to my Laney I don't have to tweak anything. I love my DXR-10 and can certainly get a "amp in the room" fell with either cab and just as good sound with the Laney. The 100 watt DXR is pretty much matched by the 500 watt Laney loudness wise. So as mid priced cabs goes I really would recommend both Laney and DXR10. I'm considering the LFR-212 for gigs with lacking PA. I have used my cabs with Amplifier, AX8, Stomp and Floor and they all sounded great thru the cabs. I play mostly hard rock and I play loud:-) and i'm matching the band without the PA to boost my sound. I used to use a 100 watt tube Marshall amp with a big 1936 2X12" speakers. The Laney is moore bulky than the DXR10 and weighs moore.  So conclusion: I would certainly recommend Laney LFR-12, what a great bang-for-buck frfr.

IMG_5202.jpg

IMG_5206.jpg

IMG_6861.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I just started using my new Laney FR112 and I must say I am impressed.   I was using a Helix through a Bose L2 system for a couple of years and it worked pretty well.  After a lot of tweeking I was able to get a decent sound with the Bose.  I also used a Mesa 5:25 which I had to reconfigure all my sounds for the 5:25 from the Bose and still wasn't very happy with the sound.  Then I purchased the Laney which I really like.  I play Blues, Classic Rock and R&B.  I setup another setlist bank on the Helix for the Laney and I've noticed that I was able to delete a lot of EQ and tone modification with the Laney and just use the Helix amp and cabinets to get great my tones. Wow, now I'm even more impressed with the Helix.  The Laney doesn't color the sound like other FRFR's that seem to have that boxy midrange plastic cabinet sound.   I have not tried the Line 6 power cabinets though I'm so happy with the Laney,  I don't think I will.  I have not gigged with the Laney but it seems to have more power than I need for my gigs.  I also use the Laney without the speaker cabinet emulation. I liked the Laney sound so much, I just sold the Mesa.  I was crazy for not buying an FRFR sooner.