Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix LT (as a sound card) + Reaper - am I setting this up incorrectly?

krisDOTco

I mean first of all, I have a brand new Helix LT and it's absolutely unbelievable. I really don't have any words that do it justice, it's pushed me into recording and I did what all the cool kids are doing - fired up Reaper.

The LT is plugged in via USB to my PC (a decently powerful Windows 10 box, all drivers and necessary software up to date). Headphones plugged in to the back of the Helix, the settings are right as far as I know (1-8 wet-dry), latency is killing me though. It's about 40-50ms, which is enough to put me off.

Am I right in how I'm approaching it? Does anyone have any screenshots of their Reaper setup that works perfectly for them? I'm open to the possibility I may need to pick up some hardware upgrades, I'm not above that.

Thanks folks!

Just to elaborate on what Silverhead said, I wouldn't mess around with monitoring the recording itself. Monitor from the hardware and assume the recording is capturing it perfectly. Once you've laid down the track, then play it back in Reaper to make sure it recorded okay. 

If you really want to amp up the recording process, purchase Helix Native. It's $100 with a new LT, and in my opinion, totally worth it as you can skip the whole process of re-amping. Even better, wait until Black Friday and there's a very good chance Line 6 will have a Native sale all the way down to about $70.

• Upvote 1

What @Kilrahi said... just get Native, you could get it later in life but then you'll wonder why you didn't get it sooner, just like the Helix :)

I'm assuming you might not have another audio interface to plug direct into your PC... FWIW I have the FocusRight 2i4, it works great and I get ~6ms latency in Cubase+Native on my W10 laptop with decent buffer settings.

All of the above. Hardware monitoring is where it's at.

If you set the ASIO Configuration in Reaper to "Extra Small" you'll get a buffer setting of 64 samples and RTL of around 12.5ms. That's on an i7-7500/16gb W10 machine.

At 128 samples it goes up to just over 20ms. 256 samples took it to 34ms, and I had to go all the way to 512 samples to get to 58ms.

Definitely check the ASIO Configuration if you decide to use Native or some other VST.