Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boss VE-500 (XLR In/Out) in Helix FX Send/Return

kevin627

I would like to run a Boss VE-500 Vocal Performer in the FX loop of the Helix to be able to use some of the harmony and pitch correction features.

I prefer to run this in the FX loop rather than before or after the Helix because 1) more flexibility, and 2) I have a wireless IEM set up for my vocals and if you're a singer you know that hearing the pitch corrected signal while you're singing can sound/feel strange, running the VE-500 in the FX loop will allow me to process my IEM vocals separately on the Helix. I also plan to connect the Helix to the VE-500 by MIDI so that I can make changes on the VE-500 using the Helix.

The Helix FX Sends and Returns are 1/4" TS, but the VE-500 In/Out are XLR. My questions:

1) Can I buy a cheap XLR to TS cable (like this) for this, or do I need to get an impedance transformer (like this)?

2) Do I need a specific cable for sending signal from the Helix and a different cable returning the signal to the Helix?

3) On the Helix, should I set the Send/Return that I'm using to instrument or line?

Helix Manual: https://line6.com/data/6/0a06439c975d5787c3e351aa0/application/pdf/Helix 2.0 Owners Manual - Rev D - English .pdf

VE-500 Manual: https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/VE-500_eng01_W.pdf

My objective is to minimize any negative effects that might arise from running an XLR In/Out device through the Helix TS FX Send/Returns.

Thanks in advance!

I read your post last night, but being somewhat new to the Helix, and knowing next to nothing about vocal processing, I figured someone that knows better than me might have an idea, but since no one else replied yet, I'll make a suggestion...

I don't think the 'Impedance Transformer' you linked is what you need - at no point are you connecting a Mic out to a Instrument or Line in.

The 1/4" to XLR cable is worth a shot (to connect the Helix Send to the VE's Mic input). I would set the output of the Send that you're using to connect to the VE's XLR Input to Line Level, then experiment with turning down the 'Send' value on the Helix block and adjusting the Mic Sensitivity on the VE-500 to see if you get an acceptable signal.

If you don't get a good signal, you may need a DI Box (in which case, you'll probably still need that XLR Cable). Something like this one comes in handy for things like this

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DualRDB--art-dual-rdb-2-channel-passive-re-amping-device

Note that you still need to set the Output of the Send of the Guitar signal to the VE to Instrument. So, for example, you'll set Send/Return 1 to Instrument for the Guitar signal out, Send/Return 2 to Line for the Vocals out, and then Sends 3/4 to Line Level for your IEMs.