Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Main Outs: two EQUAL mono signals (summed from stereo) possible?

Elephantstomp

Hello,

as described in the Manual the HX Stomps Main Outs send two mono signals (with L and R Portion --> Stereo when both are in use) OR

one mono Signal (L/mono: Stereo summed to mono).

Is it possible to send TWO EQUAL MONO SIGNALS (each summed from Stereo to mono) out of the main Outs? (To FOH and IEM Mixer).

The FX Send is already used for feeding an Amplifier.

Greetings

Try placing a mono FX block (e.g. a simple EQ) at the end of the signal chain. This will sum the signal to mono before sending it to the main outs. Use neutral settings on the EQ so that the tone is not affected and make sure the panning is at C in the Output block. This should deliver two equal mono signals to the L and R outputs.

2 hours ago, Elephantstomp said:

Is it possible to send TWO EQUAL MONO SIGNALS (each summed from Stereo to mono) out of the main Outs? (To FOH and IEM Mixer).

The FX Send is already used for feeding an Amplifier.

Are you running stereo at all? It doesn't look like it to me. 

If not... make sure all effects are inserted as "mono" and your Left / Right Outputs will already be the same. 

With using a Legacy Room Reverb at the end of my signal chain I am forced to stereo although I would rather have mono.

Or wouldn´t you mind having reverb with only a R and L portion for each of its own mono main out?

To put an EQ at the end for summing to mono is a great idea.

Unfortunately there are already 6 blocks in my "snapshot-signal-chain".

But I could build different presets that contain less blocks and throw in the EQ...and sacrifice gapless switching.

A mono reverb would also be the solution but i didn´t find one as good as the Legacy.

3 hours ago, Elephantstomp said:

With using a Legacy Room Reverb at the end of my signal chain I am forced to stereo although I would rather have mono.

Ahh yes, I keep forgetting that some of those legacy effects force you into the stereo realm. 

You could just live with the two sides being different... but they would be a little different! Maybe not enough to matter, but that's hard to say. 

Does the "mono effects send" (used to go to your amp) not collapse the signal to mono already?

Or are you putting that send before the reverb? 

This is what I like to do:

Split to Path A and B right after Input.

Path A: Amp/Cab+FX ---> Main out L out to FOH

---> Main out R out to IEM

Path B: Preamp+FX   ---> FX-Send (L, mono) to Guitar Amp FX-Return, yes here stereo is collapsed.

I guess I really should find a equivalent mono reverb to replace the legacy room stereo.

Any suggestions?

I will also check 

- how different the two mono signals are. Perhaps good to go...

- Switch the positions of delay and reverb, to get mono again. But i guess it will get washed-out with REVERB (Stereo) --> DELAY (mono).

Just to weigh in, I believe ALL of the legacy reverbs are stereo reverbs. The newer ones can be mono or stereo, but they are also a lot higher DSP usage and, as you've no doubt noticed, pretty ambient sounding. Though sometimes they can be tweaked to reduce a lot of that. 

So I checked out:

The two mono signals L and R are each identical with the "mono sum from stereo" as far as i could hear with my AKG Studioheadphones.

I really listend back and forth...imagination can be a thing after a while but then I quit and judged it for good.

Switched DELAY-->REVERB to REVERB-->DELAY

The sound was different, somehow more unpleasant to my ears.

I kept DELAY-->REVERB.

So I am done with this, get out of the rabbithole and played guitar again.

I also played through a rehearsal room pa yesterday and what can I say?

I am happy! It was so perfect in a band context. Good sound with this tiny thing.

I love my HX Stomp :-)

Thank you, guys!!!

• Like 1