Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why the $100 price increase?

ledvedder5150

21 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Tarriffs, as already mentioned... but it's not exactly sudden. Prices went up months ago.

They went up again... There are new tariffs that took effect in September.

29 minutes ago, phil_m said:

They went up again... There are new tariffs that took effect in September.

Oh well, it's a lovely world... glad I bought when I did. Fascinating that each new round of tarriffs works out exactly to a $100 increase... that's some really convenient math.

13 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Oh well, it's a lovely world... glad I bought when I did. Fascinating that each new round of tarriffs works out exactly to a $100 increase... that's some really convenient math.

Yeah, well, I actually think Line 6 is eating as much of the tariffs as they can, but at some point it becomes untenable. This last found was 15%, but the $100 increase is like 6.2% for the Floor and 9% for the LT. Companies don’t like raising prices. I’m sure they understand the potential for backlash.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, phil_m said:

Yeah, well, I actually think Line 6 is eating as much of the tariffs as they can, but at some point it becomes untenable. This last found was 15%, but the $100 increase is like 6.2% for the Floor and 9% for the LT.

Well calculating the % increase of the retail price won't tell you much of anything...without knowing what L6's per unit cost is, as well as the wholesale price that the retailers are paying, there's no way to tell who's eating what... if any part of it is being absorbed at all. And the smart money says the only one getting screwed is the consumer. Everybody else is running a business. Why should they take the hit? It's not their doing, and the govt's pi$$ing contest with China doesn't make anybody's bottom line any less important than it was last week.

I just found it a bit odd that the price was hiked an even $100 both times... that seems a little too neat and tidy. Wouldn't surprise me if there's some extra gravy in somebody's pocket when the dust settles. Who's pocket, I can only guess... but that's usually how the world works.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Businesses operate out of fear. They tend to raise the prices a lot more than they have to so that they are sitting at comfortable margins for quite some time.  In terms of a $1500 product, $100 is just enough that it hurts but not enough that it out right turns people away. At least, that would be the hope. 

At the same time though, competitors have not raised their prices once since the tariffs were brought about, and most of their products are also made in China. There is definitely a certain power in Line 6 being the product leader. It allows them to raise prices and keep happy margins where their competitors can't afford to. 

I'm sure there are other complex variables going on too. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, HonestOpinion said:

I propose putting the extra revenue into additional developers, extended warranties all around, free Helix backpacks for registered owners, and a renewed commitment to polyphonic processing. Who's with me?  :-)

Lol...

"Yeah... and I'm gonna find Jesus, quit drinking, get in touch with my feminine side, and we'll all meet right back here at half-past impossible." - Dr. Perry Cox

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

I propose putting the extra revenue into additional developers, extended warranties all around, free Helix backpacks for registered owners, and a renewed commitment to polyphonic processing. Who's with me?  :-)

Hear! Hear!

7 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

At the same time though, competitors have not raised their prices once since the tariffs were brought about, and most of their products are also made in China.

Depending on a company's primary distributor location, there will be loop holes to get around the tariffs. The hardest hit are US based company's that have products manufactured in China. 

6 minutes ago, caledoneus said:

sigh.  

I wish people could answer questions without dragging their political baggage into it.  I just wanna talk about guitar stuff! 

Oh, the question was answered thoroughly right away.  And no names have been mentioned... I think that's as much as you could ask for!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chasingMango said:

Oh, the question was answered thoroughly right away.  And no names have been mentioned... I think that's as much as you could ask for!

Was it answered thoroughly and right away?  Yes.  

BUT

Then we had to have comments such as 

"Tired of winning?

Vote"

and 

"You bet I will! I don't want a madman determining how much I have to pay for my guitar modeler!"

which are not answers to the question and are political comments in nature.  I keep my political thoughts out of it (which I think is part of the rules for when you sign up), so it's only fair to expect other to do so as well...  Whatever though.  Screw it.

• Like 1

Every belch and fart in the world is politicized now, and absolutely everything has to be labeled somebody's "fault". Politicians love it when the populace is at each other's throats... makes them feel like they're actually important. After all, why else would two complete strangers be willing to beat each other to a pulp over a hat that one of them is wearing? But I digress...I'm  genuinely mystified that it doesn't creep into discussions more often around here. Generally speaking, there is remarkable restraint on this forum, in that regard. I fully expect it to get worse over the next year, though... I'll be shocked if it doesn't.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, caledoneus said:

I keep my political thoughts out of it (which I think is part of the rules for when you sign up), so it's only fair to expect other to do so as well...  Whatever though.  Screw it.

Do you though?  The only source of contention in this conversation has been you brother :)

12 hours ago, caledoneus said:

sigh.  

I wish people could answer questions without dragging their political baggage into it.  I just wanna talk about guitar stuff!

I try to keep my posts fairly apolitical so I know how you feel. Have never liked social media or forums much for discussing politics. Seems like the most polarizing views get rewarded with likes, there is little room for nuance, compromise, or veering off from the party line, whichever party you are in. Seeing as how you downvoted Soundog and kennyhickey though your complaint seems a bit disingenuous. You made your conservative politics quite clear here to anyone paying attention while simultaneously castigating political speech. I think everyone can tolerate the occasional political reference without voting people down for it although you're right, that does run the risk of getting distracted from our technical focus. There's enough division in the country already. Better to take a little jab of your own, hopefully with a comedic slant than to start trading downvotes. Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

...I'm  genuinely mystified that it doesn't creep into discussions more often around here. Generally speaking, there is remarkable restraint on this forum, in that regard. I fully expect it to get worse over the next year, though... I'll be shocked if it doesn't.

You won't be the only one. "Nobody for President" (Wavy Gravy's campaign slogan)!

On 11/5/2019 at 8:54 AM, soundog said:

You bet I will! I don't want a madman determining how much I have to pay for my guitar modeler!

47 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

I try to keep my posts fairly apolitical so I know how you feel. Have never liked social media or forums much for discussing politics. Seems like the most polarizing views get rewarded with likes, there is little room for nuance, compromise, or veering off from the party line, whichever party you are in. Seeing as how you downvoted Soundog though your complaint seems a bit disingenuous. 

Hell, I took soundog's comment as a joke. To be honest, I could see the statement being said by a Republican or a Democrat and I didn't think it revealed much about his political persuasion. 

Why? Because of the "guitar modeler" comment. In the grand scheme of things, in a world of murder, asylums, gun arguments, free speech debates, mental illness, war, budget deficits, and civil rights, guitar modelers rank at about a zero on political importance. 

So I read it as an agnostic statement with a humorous sarcasm tone, but what do I know?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

Hell, I took soundog's comment as a joke. To be honest, I could see the statement being said by a Republican or a Democrat and I didn't think it revealed much about his political persuasion. 

That is exactly how I took Soundog's comment as well. It worked beautifully regardless of the position it was on. I thought it was quite humorous. 

For the record... I'm in Canada, I don't have any dogs in this fight, and I'm not willing to enter any :) 

21 minutes ago, codamedia said:

For the record... I'm in Canada, I don't have any dogs in this fight, and I'm not willing to enter any :) 

Normally at this point I'd crack wise about little maple candies and weird round bacon... but truth be told, these days I'm genuinely envious. It's a $hit-show down here. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

You won't be the only one. "Nobody for President" (Wavy Gravy's old political slogan)!

29 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

Normally at this point I'd crack wise about little maple candies and weird round bacon... but truth be told, these days I'm genuinely envious. It's a $hit-show down here. ;)

Yippie! Though I fear something terrible happened to our candidate in Canada......

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cruisinon2 said:

Don't joke around with my maple syrup and back bacon!! I'll have to beat you up with my moose antlers, beaver tails and Mountie hats. But of course I wouldn't actually attempt that - you might be packing a few AR-15s .... because one is never enough.

... just kidding of course, in case I might offend someone's political sensitivities......;-)

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, caledoneus said:

sigh.  

How can the answer to the question not be political?

The answer is tariffs....who brought on the tariffs?

1 minute ago, kennyhickey said:

How can the answer to the question not be political?

The answer is tariffs....who brought on the tariffs?

Tariffs are the factual cause. Your comment was politics.

Now we're trying to make light of it, and you're wanting to argue? THAT'S why we don't talk politics here. Quit while you're ahead!

2 hours ago, silverhead said:

Don't joke around with my maple syrup and back bacon!! I'll have to beat you up with my moose antlers, beaver tails and Mountie hats. But of course I wouldn't actually attempt that - you might be packing a few AR-15s .... because one is never enough.

... just kidding of course, in case I might offend someone's political sensitivities......;-)

Bacon got back?!

1 hour ago, rd2rk said:

Tariffs are the factual cause. Your comment was politics.

Now we're trying to make light of it, and you're wanting to argue? THAT'S why we don't talk politics here. Quit while you're ahead!

I will comment however I please....

“quit while you’re ahead” that’s funny! Guess I have to do what r2d2 says

1 hour ago, kennyhickey said:

I will comment however I please....

“quit while you’re ahead” that’s funny! Guess I have to do what r2d2 says

Before you went back and edited it, you had it right.

You're not winning, on so many levels.

And now you're starting to sound like a troll.

r2d2? SO lame.

On 11/4/2019 at 9:29 PM, kennyhickey said:

Tired of winning?

Vote

This is hardly the height of political vitriol. To cast a more favorable (and naive) light on it, more like a "Get Out The Vote" message.  :-) Hope you and rd2rk can resolve this amicably or let's get back to politics, it's less contentious :-)  Btw, not accusing anyone of being a troll here but thanks for combining the word "troll" and "lol" in one post. Gave me a new abbreviation "tol" as in "troll out loud". Don't see it catching on but it makes me laugh.

30 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

This is hardly the height of political vitriol. To cast a more favorable (and naive) light on it, more like a "Get Out The Vote" message.  :-) Hope you and rd2rk can resolve this amicably or let's get back to politics, it's less contentious :-)  Btw, not accusing anyone of being a troll here but thanks for combining the word "troll" and "lol" in one post. Gave me a new abbreviation "tol" as in "troll out loud". Don't see it catching on but it makes me laugh.

Since everybody else seems to be OK with this, I'll bow out.