Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

BSOD: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL

lachinelli

Sadly, I got this problem. It's the first time it happens after I've updated POD HD500 Drivers to 4.2.7.7. Also, it happened while using Bandlab's Cakewalk (latest version).

I have all drivers up to date, as well as HD500's firmware. I'm using Windows 10 1803. So far it was working fine while using 4.2.7.6 drivers on FL Studio. I've checked Windows update and it's now available 1903 update for my system. I'll update and give it a try tomorrow, but I'm afraid it does nothing...

7 hours ago, lachinelli said:

Sadly, I got this problem. It's the first time it happens after I've updated POD HD500 Drivers to 4.2.7.7.

.....I'm using Windows 10 1803.

...........So far it was working fine while using 4.2.7.6 drivers on FL Studio.

Compared to the 4.2.7.6 the latest 4.2.7.7 (Windows 10 - POD) driver doesn't really add any new feature or improvement specifically for the HD500 proper communication with the computer, so given that you experienced the BSOD from when you installed the 4.2.7.7, just uninstall it and reinstall the 4.2.7.6.

You can use the Line6 uninstaller app to uninstall the driver, and you can download manually from this site the driver version you want, and install it.

Very easy job.

Why bother for boring and long to solve unnecessary problems?

Make your life easier.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

You're right. Thing is that in FL Studio, both 4.2.7.7 as well as 4.2.7.6 seem to work fine, while in Bandlab Cakewalk, it gets the BSOD.

I thought that the new update addressed these kind of problems with newer versions of Windows 10. What would be the point of releasing a new driver version then?

4 hours ago, lachinelli said:

You're right. Thing is that in FL Studio, both 4.2.7.7 as well as 4.2.7.6 seem to work fine, while in Bandlab Cakewalk, it gets the BSOD.

I thought that the new update addressed these kind of problems with newer versions of Windows 10. What would be the point of releasing a new driver version then?

As the saying goes?:......... If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Drivers are very difficult to write.  It doesn't take much for something to go wrong and because drivers works directly with hardware in the kernel part of the OS they blow up the entire system when things go wrong.  Not that this helps, but it sounds like Cakewalk is the problem.

1 hour ago, joel_brown said:

Drivers are very difficult to write.  It doesn't take much for something to go wrong and because drivers works directly with hardware in the kernel part of the OS they blow up the entire system when things go wrong.  Not that this helps, but it sounds like Cakewalk is the problem.

Could be. I'll give it a try, now with Windows 10 updated to version 1903, and up-to-date reinstalled HD500 drivers. I'll try to keep the system light, without anything else open rather than Cakewalk. Also, I'll disable the network port. Hope this doesn't happen anymore.

Follow the instructions given in the following article to generate a Small memory dump when your computer crashes, then you can use the suggested Nirsoft’s BlueScreenView free program to see the previously generated memory dump and see which are the drivers involved in the system crash.

---->>> Windows Memory Dumps: What Exactly Are They For?

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

1 hour ago, lachinelli said:

Ok... now I got another BSOD "System thread exception not handled"

Windows 10 1903, up to date drivers selected as default in Windows. Don't know what else to do...

Any luck yet?

I’m so pissed I have been getting the BSOD everyday for a long time now. I have a POD HD Pro X and primarily use FLStudio. The only thing I haven’t tried is rolling back driver versions to see if any of the old ones are better. I even troubleshoot windows server and PCs for a living.

do you get the same IRQ NOT LESS OR EQUAL L6PODHDPROSE64.sys BSODs?

It's a conflict between the LINE6 driver and some other audio interface driver you have installed.  The typical problem is the other audio interface driver you are using loads up ASIO4ALL.sys or some generic driver that doesn't play well with LINE6.  I've never seen previous versions of the LINE6 driver resolve the problem.

Just now, joel_brown said:

It's a conflict between the LINE6 driver and some other audio interface driver you have installed.  The typical problem is the other audio interface driver you are using loads up ASIO4ALL.sys or some generic driver that doesn't play well with LINE6.  I've never seen previous versions of the LINE6 driver resolve the problem.

Bro thank you but you sound like a broken record, I’ve researched every thread on this topic and you say the same thing which might be valid in some cases. I have no other audio drivers installed!!!!!!

On 11/17/2019 at 10:19 AM, joel_brown said:

You don't have on-board audio built into your motherboard ?

I uninstalled the drivers AND disabled the only other audio interface (onboard) in device manager!

I have the same issue on two different Win10 computers, I have analyzed the crash dumps, and trust me, as an IT Director by trade, I have troubleshot this and isolated it to the L6PODHDPROSE64.sys driver. I've had this issue for a few years now. I'm also not the only one at whit's end after extensive troubleshooting (see other threads).

I don't want to but I read one other person ended up buying an interface to connect the Line 6 instead. Someone else also using something else as the primary sound interface and using the Line 6 for inputs only. Problem went away in both cases.  I wish Line 6 would just release a proper new driver or otherwise acknowledge the issue.

• Like 1

My old XP OS still crashes (BSOD) occasionally, especially when I disconnect the device after having used it even momentarily as the OS main audio interface (eg to listen some online media clips), it happens despite I diligently remember to set back the audio integrated card to be the main interface before disconnecting the POD.

Based on the Nirsoft’s BlueScreenView program (linked in my previous post) here is the list of the drivers involved in the crash:

lEL6YlO.png

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Im Having the same issue. not an IT guy by any means but I know my was around win 10. I wiped my whole pc clean, reinstalled old drivers and new...... same problem.

Mine is actually " L6PODHD5SE64.sys " If you anyone figures it out please share. I like the line 6 editor on pc. thats the only reason I need it connected. I play Rocksmith and wanted to change to my own tones in It, but I might just run the PC and line 6 sepparatley into a small mixer instead

• 3 weeks later...

I think I've found a solution to this. I've done 3 steps, and so far the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED blue screens have disappeared.

1.- In Control Panel, select Sound and choose the HD500 (Or similar model) as the default sound device, for listening as well as for recording. Check that sample rate is the same you're using in your DAW.

2.- I have a desktop, so I plugged the usb port to the back. USB connections coming straight from the motherboard are more stable. I don't know if this step helped in any way, but I think it's worth trying.

3.- I THINK THIS STEP IS THE DEFINITIVE SOLUTION: These blue screens began to appear when I started working with Bandlab Cakewalk, but when I used FLStudio, they never occured. I've looked through thousands of forums and websites for a solution, but never found one. One day I noticed that when I opened Cakewalk, Windows 10 showed in the notifications panel below to the right that an application was accessing the microphone, something that hadn't happened when I opened FLStudio. When I double-clicked the notification, a Windows 10 panel opened where I could select which applications had access to the microphone, and I blocked access to all of them if I recall correctly, or at least Cakewalk.

This procedure doesn't block or disables by any means any input in the POD that goes to the DAW, in this case, Cakewalk, since the inputs and outputs handled by the DAW are done using the POD ASIO driver. So, blocking the access to the microphone in Windows 10 doesn't disable recording using the inputs of the POD by any means, as long as the POD ASIO drivers are being used in the DAW.

After doing these procedures I haven't had any other BSOD mentioned before. I suspect step 1 solved the DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSOD meanwhile step 3 solved the SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED BSOD. I'm into the IT business, but I have no way of proving which step was the definitive solution, or which is the real culprit of them, being Cakewalk or Line 6 driver. I suspect there's an issue with the latter when it's not the default audio driver or when an application is granted access to the microphone in Windows 10.

I hope Line 6 notice this and fix the driver, since it made me lose a lot of time finding a solution, and I almost had to cancel the recording of my new album.