Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi From Line 6

gunpointmetal

saw the UK posts of the new amp...meh....HD amps in StageSource tech....not exactly a reinvention.

And I can't post the links from the UK stores that already have it up on this forum...can't link, can't paste....can't be done. Check out sevenstring.org or the thegearpage for pics and specs.

Been googling as you suggested, and a blurb/product description they copied/asted on the metalguitarist.org says "more than 70 AMPS and 100 effects". If it is based on the HD platform we could see a REAL firmware update doubling our available amp count. That would pretty spectacular.

Hopefully it's not another marketing flub like the "double the power" adds we were seeing for the HD X series, which only turned out to be 20% more power, not 100% more. :P

SPECS:

The AMPLIFi is not a conventional amplifier. It delivers every note with amazing precision thanks to a revolutionary stereo system 5 speakers.

Specifications
• 150W
• Speakers Celestion 12 " custom
• 2 woofers
• 2 tweeters
• Input Guitar 6.35 mm and AUX 3.5mm stereo
• Headphone output of 6.35 mm
• Functions Tap Tempo / Tuner
• 4 internal memory (access to an unlimited number of presets with the application)

• Effects Stereo (Wet / Dry) creating a perfect sound immersion

• Compatible with FBV MkII Line 6

• USB connection
• Streaming audio via Bluetooth (compatible with Android , iOS and Mac or PC).

Application " amplification " (iOS compatible)
• More than 70 amps, 100 effects and 20 pregnant
• 8 effects simultaneously available
• Remote- amp settings to tweak the sound
• Automatic selection of the guitar sound depending on the selected song in your library
• Access to thousands of sounds online
• Sharing and evaluation of sounds in the Cloud
• Archiving and Backup an unlimited number of presets in the Cloud

• Compatible with iPod touch (4th and 5th generation ), iPhone 5 , iPhone 4S , iPhone 4, iPad ( 3rd and 4th generation ) , iPad 2, iPad mini and iPad.

No FX Loop or L6 link stated.. Yet. If not.. This is a flop for those that want to integrate their POD units.

SPECS:

The AMPLIFi is not a conventional amplifier...

Application " amplification " (iOS compatible)

• More than 70 amps, 100 effects and 20 pregnant

And best of all, this amp can reproduce!!! Pair it with another of it's kind, and soon you will have 20 PREGNANT amps!! lol, best typo describing an amp ever! ;)

I agree at this point...

I would like to see what it can do though... 

#marketingfail

Agreed there. Just a bummer. Had they released something like Mission and released it at similar pricing to what this is and add L6 Link.. They would have been gold.

for alot of us surely...

i think that's where their marketing really fails... quite simply i don't think this is for us, anymore than last years mixer stuff was...

rather than "reinventing the guitar amp" it should have been "reinventing the way you learn" or something...

since it clearly seems to be for those that want to play along with the tracks....

i'd say this is more like a new spider jam, than anything that reinvents for the gigging/recording musician.

Agreed there. Just a bummer. Had they released something like Mission and released it at similar pricing to what this is and add L6 Link.. They would have been gold.

• Upvote 1

for alot of us surely...

i think that's where their marketing really fails... quite simply i don't think this is for us, anymore than last years mixer stuff was...

rather than "reinventing the guitar amp" it should have been "reinventing the way you learn" or something...

since it clearly seems to be for those that want to play along with the tracks....

i'd say this is more like a new spider jam, than anything that reinvents for the gigging/recording musician.

Couldn't agree more on that. Lets hope the Mission FRFR is priced reasonably. Gonna be a few weeks till we find out, probably.

Well the description says "70 amps and over 100 effects" and further down it says "up to 8 simultaneous effects". While they may not have used the buzz-word "HD", that sounds like POD HD routing to me. I could be wrong of course, but reading between the lines it sounds like POD HD software to me. I'm burnin' to know what all those other amp models are!

Well the description says "70 amps and over 100 effects" and further down it says "up to 8 simultaneous effects". While they may not have used the buzz-word "HD", that sounds like POD HD routing to me. I could be wrong of course, but reading between the lines it sounds like POD HD software to me. I'm burnin' to know what all those other amp models are!

IF it is HD modeling in it.. I MIGHT consider it. I'd also think that they would release more amps for the HD line.

Hopefully it's not another marketing flub like the "double the power" adds we were seeing for the HD X series, which only turned out to be 20% more power, not 100% more. :P

That was a translated adveret that leaked before an official announcement.

If it's X3 amps, that would boggle my mind. Seriously. I can feel my mind imploding at the very thought of that premise.

And yes,  it was a mis-translation, but again, we're quoting some UK website for the tech specs, so it could be another one of those cases where they got the description wrong.

the x3 amps wouldn't surprise me... many of the current standalone amp models use pod 2.0 models...

so the x series models would be a jump up.

If it's X3 amps, that would boggle my mind. Seriously. I can feel my mind imploding at the very thought of that premise.

And yes,  it was a mis-translation, but again, we're quoting some UK website for the tech specs, so it could be another one of those cases where they got the description wrong.

On another note.. If I wanted to use the Shortboard with an amp (like it is looking like this will accept).. I'd go pick up one of the early Atomic Reactor amps off E-Bay and make sure it has the POD insert.. Then get the POD HD desktop model. That whole setup would likely only cost $200 more than this amp if bought new (and the Atomic Reactor used).. Probably just as cheap if you bought it all used.

This is taken from another forum.. Take it with a grain of salt.

"That and the Line 6 rep stating something along the lines of if this isn't what you were hoping for, just wait. There was an implication that more would be released yet this year."

about 2hrs until NAMM starts, and we find out one way or another what this is. An X3 in a FRFR enclosure would be such a let down! lol I mean, they almost kinda already did that with the Vetta II, didn't they?! lol

And I still maintain that the last firmware update where they introduced the SLO 100 was about a year and a half ago (the original drop for the 300/400 was, and very little new was added to the drop for the bean/500/pro in OCT, so I don't count that date as significant) so a whole slew of new HD models seems feasible to me, even if it may only turn out to be wishful thinking.

... A guy can hope, can't he? lol

If a single dude at fractal can come up with new models for the axe practically every other week in his basement (hyperbole/exaggeration. It's the internet; have a sense of humour whydoncha?) I believe line 6 can come up with 30+ new amp models in 18+ months! :D

I think building that type of hype for what appears to be a mid/entry level product is counter productive.  The ones that hang on every word of this type of announcement and get excited are more of the hard core users.  This just gets us excited and then lets us down.  

Maybe I'm wrong, it's not like I have a degree in marketing or anything, but I just don't think building it up like that was a good idea.  If they just announced it at NAMM without dangling the carrot out there for weeks I would probably think it's a pretty cool product.  Not something I'd be interested in per se, but still a cool concept.  Now I'm just really let down and want to see what other companies are coming out with instead :)

On another note.. If I wanted to use the Shortboard with an amp (like it is looking like this will accept).. I'd go pick up one of the early Atomic Reactor amps off E-Bay and make sure it has the POD insert.. Then get the POD HD desktop model. That whole setup would likely only cost $200 more than this amp if bought new (and the Atomic Reactor used).. Probably just as cheap if you bought it all used.

I used to own one of the early Atomic Reactor amps - the 18W version. I used it with the XT. It was OK, but it really didn't compare to a real amp. It was not even in the same league as the DT25 in that regards. One of the problems was that it couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It was designed to be a flat response, and it was. But it was missing the second half of the equation in that it wasn't full frequency because it lacked a tweeter. It's interesting that the current Atomic products do incorporate tweeters in their design.

wifi in the amp seems like a cool idea. Along with the usual performance anxiety, you now need to worry about standing on front of a room full of smartphone video cameras and internet connections while everyone within a blocks radius is trying to hack your amp..

• Upvote 1

from what I see Line 6 has just created an iOS platform amp.  This is not POD HD, its an iOS app with a dedicated cab.  Hence all the references to the cloud and sharing sounds etc.  Interesting to see what happens if you have a Droid.  I wonder if the actual software and OS is in the cab or if it just receives the signal from your iPhone, iPod (?), iPad, etc...  What a let down...

I don't believe that the Atomic amps had enough headroom to properly handle the models either.  You want an amp that will faithfully reproduce the modeled tones at high volume.  This means lots of clean headroom as well as full range flat speaker system.  Maybe Line6 has done this well?

It would make sense if it was like a Pod with FRFR. The cloud and streaming services just replace what you can do via the usb link with the current Pod and the FRFR would make it much better as a play-along tool than a standard amp. Price seems about right for that kind of tech.

If it really is 70 amps, though, they better share them with the rest of us and not just use them as an Amplifi marketing tool.

Anyway, NAMM starts in about 15 minutes, so we probably don't have long to wait.

Edit: Oops, my bad; there's another hour to go yet.

Someone on the TGP downloaded the app, and posted screenshots of the amp model names, and they're all X3 names, so unless they've spent the last year and a half upgrading the X3 models with HD algorithms then this is effectively a VETTA II (yes a friggin vetta TWO!!?!) with a couple of tweeters and iphone app. What a @#$%ing joke!

Reinventing the guitar amp with a 10+ year old vetta II amp... Someone needs to give there head a shake and come back to reality... FFFFFFFFFFFFfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.......

• Upvote 1