Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi... Really? This Is The Next Gen Amp?

dtriley11

Although I just finished reading up on this, it looks to me like an interesting toy.  A digital gadget to tinker around with at home.  Doesn't appear to be a gigging musician's amp.  If you were to mic it for live shows, which speaker would you mic?  But who knows, I guess there's a lot more to learn and know about it.  But how do you pick it up... I don't see a handle.  And why would Line 6 not have their logo prominantly displayed on the amp?  Hmmm. 

I still say #EpicFail

This might be a fun toy for a high school teenager.. Sure.. Who is just starting out.. Or someone looking for something simple for practicing at home or something.. They would have hit a home run if they at the very least added post preamp stereo inserts that disable the preamp. There would have been a LOT more happy people around here.

• Upvote 1

could probably take the stereo out from the pod into one... could be kind of awesome...

practically a Vetta III so to speak...

not a direct integration... but if i get my hands on one... i think it'd be worth a try.

They do have that. There's a stereo aux in jack on the back of the amp.

This is a cool concept and one that I think could have practical uses in several applications.

What I can't fathom is why Line 6 have opted for X3 rather than podHD technology. This unit should surely be up to date and natively compatible with podHD floor units (I'm sorry Zap, but for me suggesting use of the stereo aux in is simply making excuses for the company).

I can't understand this move unless this is the lower end unit and an ampliFi HD is coming later, as proposed in another thread.

I was only suggesting that i would like to try it... not suggesting that anyone buy it based on that as its intended use.

The use of the XT era sound models does not surprise me...

its likely to accommodate slower\lower priced DSP chips, higher capabilities... and to make certain pricepoints feasible.

this is bedroom warrior gear... or simply a practice utility...

it's obvious to everyone... even those that are disappointed... that this is what it is....

not what we would have liked perhaps...

This is a cool concept and one that I think could have practical uses in several applications.

What I can't fathom is why Line 6 have opted for X3 rather than podHD technology. This unit should surely be up to date and natively compatible with podHD floor units (I'm sorry Zap, but for me suggesting use of the stereo aux in is simply making excuses for the company).

I can't understand this move unless this is the lower end unit and an ampliFi HD is coming later, as proposed in another thread.

Just to help clarify a few things:

Android app is due later in the year. But bluetooth should work with anything, it's only the app that needs iOS at the moment. You can still dial in sounds on the amp to a point and store them in 4 preset locations on the amp. Perhaps those without an iOS device can still have one and use a friends phone to setup some presets and then the knobs on the amp can tweak the preset fx too. many people who I know who don't have an iOS device have someone they live with who has one so the market is still potentially huge.

The handle is built into the top of the units

The 150watt version has a 12" guitar speaker built in - should be good enuf to gig for smaller venues and mic that main speaker for the guitar tones for big gigs. The other 4 speakers I assume will be used mostly for the high freq sounds from the recorded music played via BT.

I doubt Yamaha would have had enuf time to influence the branding. Hardware is usually signed off months before a release so factories have time to start production. Yamaha has only been the owner for 1 month. I think its minimal branding is so it isn't obviously a guitar amp if you have it in your living room.

The tone matching sounds a great idea to me, as does the portability. Sure line6link would have been great, but none of the switching that the DT amps and L2/L3 PA have are in this amplifi. So why add l6link just to carry sound when an aux in is already provided. Just plug in and select studio output on the pod HD. L6link wouldn't give you anything more.

Would I have liked HD sounds? Sure. But the x3 sounds are still good, and I guess my fav the 5150 will be in there!!! YAY

Do I think there should be a line out? Would have been good for sending out to the FoH board.

Do I see that some people who want a lower cost solution for a good home audio system and guitar amp will buy one of these. Hell yes!!!

Cheers

Andy

Perhaps those without an iOS device can still have one and use a friends phone to setup some presets and then the knobs on the amp can tweak the preset fx too. many people who I know who don't have an iOS device have someone they live with who has one so the market is still potentially huge.

srsly? I mean, srsly?

"Hey friend, can I borrow your iPhone for a few hours and download an app so I can set-up and store 4 PATCHES that I will surely want to change in a few hours, so may I borrow your iPhone/iPad/iTouch for the weekend, I mean?"

It wouldn't fit everyone's needs, but for some people who only use a few tones or who want to use it more as a music player, why not? How's about the number of people who use amps with 2-4 channels.

That said I was meaning more borrowing an iOS device from someone you live with. Sure that doesn't suit everyone, but for some it would just fine.

If it doesn't suit you then that's cool, but it will work for some.

Peace

Andy

srsly? I mean, srsly?

"Hey friend, can I borrow your iPhone for a few hours and download an app so I can set-up and store 4 PATCHES that I will surely want to change in a few hours, so may I borrow your iPhone/iPad/iTouch for the weekend, I mean?"

Exactly

Just to help clarify a few things:

Android app is due later in the year. But bluetooth should work with anything, it's only the app that needs iOS at the moment. You can still dial in sounds on the amp to a point and store them in 4 preset locations on the amp. Perhaps those without an iOS device can still have one and use a friends phone to setup some presets and then the knobs on the amp can tweak the preset fx too. many people who I know who don't have an iOS device have someone they live with who has one so the market is still potentially huge.

I am now convinced that some of the "Line 6 Experts" on this forum are either

1) on the payroll of Line 6 making a job out of scouring these forums and making excuses for anything that's called into question (while peppering their posts with genuinely helpful tips to maintain the facade)

or

2) so flattered and blinded by their "expert" status that they make ridiculous suggestions as per the quote above.

I was only suggesting that i would like to try it... not suggesting that anyone buy it based on that as its intended use.

The use of the XT era sound models does not surprise me...

its likely to accommodate slower\lower priced DSP chips, higher capabilities... and to make certain pricepoints feasible.

this is bedroom warrior gear... or simply a practice utility...

it's obvious to everyone... even those that are disappointed... that this is what it is....

not what we would have liked perhaps...

Hang on..the marketing campaign, for starters, was "the guitar amp reivented" with much fanfare. Actually, what they mean is "a modelling guitar amp/ hifi hybrid with outdated modelling software...hope the bluetooth and app help disguise that last point".

The price point arguement is weak...a pod X3 floor unit (as far as I can tell from google shoppping) is roughly the same price as a podHD300 with the newer/ improved modelling software. There really isnt a huge difference in the price of the DSP chips etc.

This didnt have to be beginner gear- If they'd included HD patch compatability and mabye a podHD interface I'd probably have bought one for home use and jamming or even small gigs.

• Upvote 1

Exactly

1) on the payroll of Line 6 making a job out of scouring these forums and making excuses for anything that's called into question (while peppering their posts with genuinely helpful tips to maintain the facade)

or

2) so flattered and blinded by their "expert" status that they make ridiculous suggestions as per the quote above.

Perhaps my previous statement fits my own personal situation more than it does for the majority of people.  if that's the case then my opinion is valid to me, just as your opinion is valid to you.  But I still stand by what I said and how I meant it (perhaps I didn't word it very well to convey my actual meaning  :wacko:  ) - I'll try to clarify my opinion further: I personally do this, and the majority of my friends have at least 1 iphone or ipad in their household, and for most people their iPads are shared with partners and kids.  So why would it be so wrong to use an ipad that's available in your house to dial in your 4 presets (perhaps over time - it doesn't have to be a set it once only) and then use those 4 presets directly on the amp.  If you want to play music you can use any Bluetooth device or anything with a 1/8" output to connect tot he Amplifi's aux input.  I don't know many people who don't have am MP3 player or phone with MP3's on it...

Like I said, this is my opinion.  I'm not trying to defend the product to the Nth degree like a Ninja  :ph34r:  , I'm trying to suggest that it's still a useable product for some people who don't personally have an iOS device, but may have regular access to one.  Perhaps I used the word friend to describe this earlier, and of course I don't expect you to keep asking a mate to borrow his iPhone for a few days - I agree with you, that's never going to work - but if you have android there might be an app later in the year (this isn't confirmed by L6 though).  people with Android and iOS devices do make up a large proportion of mobile devices, so that should suit most people (assuming the android app does happen).

The point I made separate to that about only needing 4 presets... Well think about this: how many people have the lower spider amps (4 presets only) and other makes, like Roland Cubes, and marshall tube amps (hell just about most tube amps) which have 4 channels or less.  If it's impossible to use just 4 channels as that's not enough, why do some of those other products sell so well too?  Again, this wont fit everyone, but a lot of people will be fine with 4 presets and those who want more can get more with iOS and soon (hopefully) with Android.

Oh and yeah I'm on the line 6 payroll, they pay me for each post I make by giving me a truck load of AMPLIFi's and each post I make that people disagree with gets me a bonus AMPLIFi HD (doesn't exist before anyone asks).  Yeah that and having the words expert under my avatar make me think I am a demi-God...  Yeah srsly!

Oh wait... that's all in my dreams :D

Just trying to help out here and suggest ways to make Amplifi work for people who may on the face of it think "well I don't have an iOS device, so I can't use it"... a little out of the box thinking may mean you can.

Cheers

Andy

aka - Rowbi, the demi-God of 4 presets

Edited by Rowbi
Edited to clarify Android App information

I cant defend the marketing as i pretty much agree that it was overboard...

but you're just being silly if you think that the same chip that powered the x3 would be the same cost as one that powers the HD

not to mention the fact that the x3 is alot more capable with alot less DSP...

would not surprise me if the DSP in the amplifi is even slower than the actual one used in the x3, since it doesn't have to support streaming over usb for recording and separate outs for the various I/O options, among many other things that the x3 does that this doesn't.

disagree all you want... but engineering things to a specific pricepoint with a specific profit margin is common practice... 

not to mention, they aren't exactly targeting the audiophile, tone hound demographic here...

this is not for someone chasing elusive tones... 

quite the opposite... this is for someone that just wants tone hand delivered to them.... and to do that they needed a large pool of tones...

far more xt/x3/pod farm tones to draw from than hd300/400 tones.

Hang on..the marketing campaign, for starters, was "the guitar amp reivented" with much fanfare. Actually, what they mean is "a modelling guitar amp/ hifi hybrid with outdated modelling software...hope the bluetooth and app help disguise that last point".

The price point arguement is weak...a pod X3 floor unit (as far as I can tell from google shoppping) is roughly the same price as a podHD300 with the newer/ improved modelling software. There really isnt a huge difference in the price of the DSP chips etc.

This didnt have to be beginner gear- If they'd included HD patch compatability and mabye a podHD interface I'd probably have bought one for home use and jamming or even small gigs.

Exactly

or

I see this sentiment expressed frequently, and I understand it. No matter how often we refute it, it remains. I can see how my own behaviour plays into it because I rarely speak negatively here. That's for two reasons:

1) I own quite a bit of Line 6 gear and in my personal experience it works very well for me. In the few cases where I have had problems, Line 6 support has resolved them quickly. I simply haven't had the sort of negative experiences regarding product quality and support that are often reported here. That doesn't mean I don't believe the reports I see, or try to minimize their importance. This is a support forum, exactly the place where such issues should be addressed. I try to help resolve some of the issues. It does no good for me to 'pile on' with the negativity. It's counter-productive in terms of resolving the issue, so I try to avoid it. That can leave people with the impression that I am biased and that somehow my 'Expert' status obligates me to defend Line 6 in all situations, and never say anything negative. Totally wrong.

2) I think there's a lot of merit in what most of our grandmothers told us: If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything. I fail at that often but it's something I try to do here. This, too, can lead to the above impression of biased behaviour. I understand that, but I see no point in pointless negativity.

I am going to break my habit in this post sepcifically to provide a counter-example to stratman82's comments.

I think Line 6's pre-release marketing campaign for the Amplifi product was way over-hyped. I can't and won't try to defend it. As for the product itself, it's simply not one that interests me. I'm sure it has its target demographic; I'm not it. I choose not to buy it, and I also choose to be disinterested in complaining about it or wishing it were something else. I don't want to spend my time even thinking about it any further. I don't expect every product from any company to meet my specific needs or desires. A product is released, I don't like/want it, I move on.

As far as my 'Expert' status goes - I am completely free to rant and/or rave here to my heart's content. I could go on and on about how I think the Amplifi marketing sucked, how it's not a product that does anything for me or my Dream rig, how I was expecting much more ..... blah, blah, blah. It doesn't matter. It's a product I don't like. Period. I choose to spend no more time on it. I don't think it's productive for me to do so - there are lots of things I'd rather spend time on. That's my choice - not an obligation imposed by Line 6.

I intend to keep a link to this post in my personal files. Every time I hear this sentiment about Line 6 Experts' supposed bias I will refer to it. I am completely free to say what I want when I want here. What I actually do say/do is my own choice.

Every Line 6 Expert here has exactly the same freedom of expression. We occasionally disagree publicly with each other, although we do it respectfully. All of us decide for ourselves whether and how we pass judgement on Line 6 products, either positively or negatively. The fact that you may see more positive than negative comments is, at least in my case, both based on my personal experience and a personal preference in terms of expressing my opinions (or not).

So I have no more to say about AMPLIFi. Now on to more productive things.......

• Upvote 1

So I have no more to say about AMPLIFi. Now on to more productive things.......

Most of your comments are absolutely fair and I agree with them.

However the "say nothing unless its nice" arguement doesn't apply to consumers in relation to (often) expensive technology in a very competetive market. We, the consumers, would be a walk over if it did.

Assuming Line 6 personnel occassionally look at these forums, they are probably an important way for them to find out what their loyal customer base want and feel about old and new products.

Yes we could all be apathetic and ignore the things we don't like or want to see improve. I'd rather Line 6 were aware of what their "community" wants. If I hated Line 6 gear and owned none of it, I wouldn't ever have signed up to this forum. Its not about "negativity".

• Upvote 1

I cant defend the marketing as i pretty much agree that it was overboard...

but you're just being silly if you think that the same chip that powered the x3 would be the same cost as one that powers the HD

But.... todays new technology is tommorrows old news. This is a very rapidly developing field. With all the fanfare many were expecting a podHD/ DT upgrade.

What I don't understand is the backward step. I assume that podHD technology is now cheaper to manufacture than it was a couple of years ago. Why not pass that saving onto the younger/ beginner market (if that is indeed the target group) and build it into the "reinvented" amp? Obviously the amp alone wouldnt have the same functionality as the amp + podHD floorboard...that would be the combination of choice for slightly more serious or well healed customers.

Again, there is not a huge difference in price (even accounting for functionality) between the pod XT floorboard and podHD floorboards. I can't imagine that the target "pricepoint" would have been that different.

And anyway, £400 for the gig-loud 150watt version isn't what I'd call entry level cheap. I don't think this product is exclusively aimed towards day 1 beginners and 10 year olds.

What I don't understand is the backward step. I assume that podHD technology is now cheaper to manufacture than it was a couple of years ago. Why not pass that saving onto the younger/ beginner market (if that is indeed the target group) and build it into the "reinvented" amp? Obviously the amp alone wouldnt have the same functionality as the amp + podHD floorboard...that would be the combination of choice for slightly more serious or well healed customers.

I remember reading a comment by one of the Line 6 engineers over at the TGP regarding the cost of the chips Line 6 uses in these devices. The price really hasn't come down in a way that comparable to standard computer chips. These are still pretty specialized chips. They have increased in power, but, from what I understand, the price hasn't changed much at all.

I guess the reason they went with the X3/XT tones is simply that there's a lot more existing tones for this format than there are with the HD. This format is used not only for the PODxt and X3, but for the Spider IV, Spider Valve mkii, POD Farm, and even the Vetta (although, the Vetta allowed more flexible effects routing, so I don't think the tones would necessarily be compatible).

Regarding the marketing, I actually don't know if agree with my fellow experts. I'm not even sure what over-hyped means in today's world. The marketing campaigns used by guitar companies are still rather subdued compared to larger, mainstream industries. Heck, Toyota is running "trailers" for their Super Bowl spot... Yes, we now live in a world where companies run commercials for commercials. I just think companies feel they have to do something to grab people's attention. It's also kind of a Catch 22. I remember previous years people were complaining that Line 6 didn't have a big enough presence at the NAMM shows. So, if you want to have a presence at the type of shows, you have to make some noise. They certainly aren't about being understated (which, personally, is more my style).

this is a toy - IK Multimedia iLoud 40W Portable Personal Speaker and its $299.  If I was just starting out I would be all over something like AMPLIFI, especially since it doubles as my personal sound system.  People trashed amp modeling in the beginning too but it broke new ground.  Lets give it time to grow.  I expect a higher priced HD version with all the bells and whistles is in the future and will be the FRFR counterpart to the DT line.                                                    

• Upvote 1

What exactly, is this a "step backwards" from? It obviously wasn't suppose to be anything on the "HD" etc etc architecture. So, it can't be a step back from that. It's a different animal than a Spider.. Can't be a step forward or backward from that. Is there any amplifier like this on the market (to this scale size wise)? There is a Vox-thing-a-ma-jig kinda-sorta similar-ish.. But much much smaller. This isn't a step backwards or forward at all. As a matter of fact, It's the first footprint in the dirt. No one can seem to accept that this is a totally new product line.. Not meant to interface with any other product line.

To the "Experts".

I've been a lurker here for far longer than I have been a posting member. Kudos for 99% of the time keeping your head through a lot of the unnecessary comments that are so often thrown your way,

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

this is a toy - IK Multimedia iLoud 40W Portable Personal Speaker and its $299.  If I was just starting out I would be all over something like AMPLIFI, especially since it doubles as my personal sound system.  People trashed amp modeling in the beginning too but it broke new ground.  Lets give it time to grow.  I expect a higher priced HD version with all the bells and whistles is in the future and will be the FRFR counterpart to the DT line.                                                    

it's an amplifi (the reinvented amp?????????) made by ik multimedia...i don't know....i don't think will see in the next years some professional player playing live with amplifi....maybe spider valve MKii (a Multichannell amp) or DT series (2 channel amp) could be the future if they will work well in terms of reliability, program change, no latency etc...but this is my opinion

At first I was disappointed, but the more I think of amplifi, the more I like it.

I personally prefer the XT/X3 modeling over the HD modeling.  So, what the amp looks like to me is a 150 watt powered PA speaker with an X3 built inside of it.  I don't know, that sounds pretty cool to me!  There are a lot of folks who use PODs through a PA speaker, this is nothing new.

My main concerns:  

- Just how loud is it?  A single 12" speaker can only move so much air.  And I'm really not expecting much out of the tweeters and woofers...I would be happy to be surprised though.

-  Having to buy a Android tablet.  I hope there are cheap versions out there.  I don't want to have to spend an additional $200 on top of the amp just so I can tweak it.  I could use my phone I guess, but I think my eyes will be really strained on the small screen.

I'm excited to try one out, I hope it's deafeningly loud.

(anyone else think it looks weird?)

At first I was disappointed, but the more I think of amplifi, the more I like it.

I personally prefer the XT/X3 modeling over the HD modeling.  So, what the amp looks like to me is a 150 watt powered PA speaker with an X3 built inside of it.  I don't know, that sounds pretty cool to me!  There are a lot of folks who use PODs through a PA speaker, this is nothing new.

My main concerns:  

- Just how loud is it?  A single 12" speaker can only move so much air.  And I'm really not expecting much out of the tweeters and woofers...I would be happy to be surprised though.

-  Having to buy a Android tablet.  I hope there are cheap versions out there.  I don't want to have to spend an additional $200 on top of the amp just so I can tweak it.  I could use my phone I guess, but I think my eyes will be really strained on the small screen.

I'm excited to try one out, I hope it's deafeningly loud.

(anyone else think it looks weird?)

Hold on to your horses on the Android tablet... it only works with Apple products at the time being.  Maybe, perhaps, potentially there will be an android app in the future but there might also be a new firmware for the JTV that fixes the known problems too...  just saying, lol...

Although I just finished reading up on this, it looks to me like an interesting toy.  A digital gadget to tinker around with at home.  Doesn't appear to be a gigging musician's amp.  If you were to mic it for live shows, which speaker would you mic?  But who knows, I guess there's a lot more to learn and know about it.  But how do you pick it up... I don't see a handle.  And why would Line 6 not have their logo prominantly displayed on the amp?  Hmmm. 

Well I agree that if you were hoping they REALLY reinvented the guitar amp, this offering is disappointing. However...

If they really had reinvented the guitar amp--let your imagination roam for a while--I don't know about you but I'd be even more upset because I just shelled out $$$ for a POD HD500X, and I'd now be "needing" this new thing. So in a perverse way, I'm sort of glad that the Amplifi isn't really aimed at us who want more/better from Line 6.