Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Running direct using HX Effects

PlayinOcean

Hi all,

Ive been using my HX Effects in conjunction with my Mesa F30 to good effect. However, I am interested in running direct to FOH, and I was wondering if you guys could comment on my proposed setup:

Guitar, HX, send to Amp input, amp speaker out to Harley Benton loadbox (I know, im cheap), then line signal to return/HX, using a good IR, then out to FOH through a DI. Perhaps I could use the speaker output of the loadbox to still use the amp speaker if I want to, but this is secondary.

This is the loadbox I would buy for this use: https://m.thomann.de/nl/harley_benton_pa_100_power_attenuator.htm

It's basically me really liking my amp but not wanting to use microphones anymore and having a loud amplifier on stage. And its me using the fact that the HX Effects does IR.

Would this work? Does the specific loadbox that I linked have the required connections? I am not able to spend any more on this..

Hope you guys can advice my on this!

Cheers.

I would use the 2 outputs on the HX FX to FOH.  I believe you can put a Cab IR block at the end of your signal chain.  Use 1/4" to XLR cables to run a mic cable to mixer.

I'm not running to FOH (don't play live anymore) but my set up is similar other than I don't need a load and can use the Mod 50's slave out.  I'm using a W/D/W rig but the set up is similar enough.

Gtr -> HX FX Input -> FX loop block send to Mod 50 input return from Mod 50 slave out -> stereo effects on HX FX -> HX FX output to stereo power amp.

Thanks for replying. 

4 hours ago, ncullen said:

I would use the 2 outputs on the HX FX to FOH. 

Do you mean that I should use 2 outputs in order to get a stereo sound? That would not have my highest priority.

The most important question for me is if I understand the use of the HB load box correctly and if my proposed setup could work well. Unfortunately my amp does not have a slave out.

Correct.  But you could just use 1 for mono out. 

I can't access the web page but yes that should work.  Load box connected the speaker out, and hopefully the HB has a line out connection which you would run to the return or input of the HX.

I just read in the HX manual that you can only asign line or instrument level to a combined fx loop in + out, instead of the two independent. This might cause problems for my setup: I want to send my signal from my guitar through HX to the amp at instrument level (as my amp-input is designed that way). Then, after the amp has fed the signal to the load box, I want to take the line out of the load box to the return input on my HX on the same fx-loop. That way the procedure only takes one send/return block. I also need to use a block for the IR, so that's two blocks used already before any effects are chosen.

If the send/return pair is set to line I send a line signal into my guitar amp, if it is set to instrument, I recieve a line signal from the loadbox into my HX... 

I really don't want to be forced to use two different fx-loops (and two different blocks) to do the HX-->amp and the amp(/loadbox)-->HX.

Does anybody have any experience with this setup and/or any advice on how to proceed?

3 hours ago, PlayinOcean said:

I just read in the HX manual that you can only asign line or instrument level to a combined fx loop in + out, instead of the two independent. This might cause problems for my setup: I want to send my signal from my guitar through HX to the amp at instrument level (as my amp-input is designed that way). Then, after the amp has fed the signal to the load box, I want to take the line out of the load box to the return input on my HX on the same fx-loop. That way the procedure only takes one send/return block. I also need to use a block for the IR, so that's two blocks used already before any effects are chosen.

If the send/return pair is set to line I send a line signal into my guitar amp, if it is set to instrument, I recieve a line signal from the loadbox into my HX... 

I really don't want to be forced to use two different fx-loops (and two different blocks) to do the HX-->amp and the amp(/loadbox)-->HX.

Does anybody have any experience with this setup and/or any advice on how to proceed?

Yes. You should start with the FX loop set to instrument. Then only worry about it if it sounds weird. If it does, you can manually adjust the volume levels of the FX loop. If that still doesn't work switch to line level and try that, but I'll be very surprised if you need to.