Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Do You Think?

floyd25

I have to admit I thought it would be something more. Something like a new DT Amp but I do like the concept. This thing could be fun to play around with, being able to edit it with an iOS device is quite cool. I just downloaded the app for iPhone and played around a little bit. You can play around, see the list of different amps / fx / etc. Quite nice. I guess it won't be an "amp" for for though it will have its market but what I really would like to see is line6 offering the new cloud / community / upload/download environment for us existing pod/dt/ variax owners.

Honestly?

I think that while technology, and Line6 in particular has afforded us guitar players many cool toys to play with, I am really glad I was born in the 1950s.  I say that with the utmost respect for all players of all gear and all stylers mind you.  I LIKE Line6 gear and the company "spirit" of innovation.

But here's the thing for me and it's why I have a love hate relationship with my HD500 and JTV59 Variax as well; One of the beauties of playing a guitar is the simple act of plugging it into my favorite amp, or maybe through a pedal or 3 and just playing it.  No digital menus. No fiddling with knobs and dials and stuff -- just playing my guitar and hearing the pure majesty of the sound as it blooms from my amp.

I value this experience because I program and otherwise do battle with computers for a living, and I loved doing it before that all the way back to my Atari 800XL bought in 1983.  I got into computers because it was a Black Art and I was one of a very few people who could do it at the time.  In other words, it was COOL.  Like playing my guitar was COOL.  So as technology continues to try and separate me from that purity by introducing (and damn near requiring!) computers, and now smartphones and tablets just to get to the "patch editor" and twiddle knobs, dials and manipulate digital menuing just to get where I used to get by the simple of plugging in and rocking out -- it makes me a bit mellancholy.

I have this digital gear for those times when I want to experiment with alternate tunings, alien amplifiers I don't own and never had access too and to see exactly why someone would want a ring modulator or whatever.  I DO have fun doing that too mind you, but it is definitely NOT the same experience as guitar->amp->rock either.  Flexibility such as comes with my Line6 gear has it's own pricetag, after all.

So let me shed a manly tear for bygone days, and lament that I now can get an amp that runs on an i-anything.

*SNIFF* :(

I'm glad to see the big bottom, Connor 50 and other amps. What is disappointing is the beauty of mixing the amps as you could with the X3, perhaps this will be an update? Other iOS apps have dual tone. I believe the focus isn't the app but the amp and the ability to program it.

The amp is shown neatly tucked in a book shelf.....guess it will go great with a factory distressed guitar so you can look the part at home.

No handles ? Does it include a carry bag?....perhaps a nifty backpack would be snappy.

I was really looking forward to seeing what was being released ....if it was right I guess I'd go along with the Yamaha transition. I been with L6 since the 2.0 and like my HD500, If your going to release something that's going to reinvent the way things have been ...why are we going backwards to 1/2 an X3?

They probably didn't include the HD technology because if they did they would have to price Amplifi at a similar (possibly higher) price than the POD HD so as not to hurt the PODs market share. That would take Amplifi out of the budget for it's target market- the younger/ more casual player.

They probably didn't include the HD technology because if they did they would have to price Amplifi at a similar (possibly higher) price than the POD HD so as not to hurt the PODs market share. That would take Amplifi out of the budget for it's target market- the younger/ more casual player.

If so thats seems a retrograde step that will alienate users (like me) that have progressed through the generations of this technology and are now using podHD patches.

The XT floorboard is roughly the same price as a podHD300 so there can't be that much difference in cost to manufacture. This would have been a good option for those (like me) that didn't want a DT amp and would have welcomed a home-friendly and versatile speaker system for the podHD floorboard with the added bonus of bluetooth and built in hifi.

• Upvote 1

If so thats seems a retrograde step that will alienate users (like me) that have progressed through the generations of this technology and are now using podHD patches.

The XT floorboard is roughly the same price as a podHD300 so there can't be that much difference in cost to manufacture. This would have been a good option for those (like me) that didn't want a DT amp and would have welcomed a home-friendly and versatile speaker system for the podHD floorboard with the added bonus of bluetooth and built in hifi.

Agreed. With all the marketing blurb about 'reinventing the guitar amp' I was hoping for more- maybe an FRFR guitar amp sitting below the DT range price wise. As a gigging proposition this seems a non starter which is a great shame and a missed opportunity for L6.

The DT series is fantastic, works great with the 500x and jtv guitars. This new amplifi is just a new addition to their catalog of gear. I don't want it, not interested but maybe someone will enjoy it.

As long as they continue to support and improve DT and jtv gear, life is good.

Not sure where Line 6 is going with this????

An all plastic case (it looks like) means it won't be as sturdy as a Spider amp; however 75/150 watts is not a home practice amp!

Add to this the use of X3 modelling and it is not aimed at the higher market.

I'll have a go of one out of curiosity but would not swap my DT25/HD500 at the moment.