Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Would P4 (EADGCF) string tuning be an issue?

I'm considering a JTV-59. It seems ideal for what I want, but I don't use standard tuning. I tune my strings to EADGCF (i.e. P4, or 'Perfect Fourths' tuning) rather than the usual EADGBE. It's a matter of personal preference & I have no plans to change. Is that any sort of issue for using a Variax?

I appreciate that it would throw out all the 'Aternate Tuning' options by the same amount on two strings, but I don't see that as a problem (I could probably reprogram appropriately anyway?).

I more mean is there likely to be any other issue resulting from using a different basic tuning regime?

It would think it should be fine. I've seen some users report down tuning to Eb tuning and it still working. Tuning those two strings up a half step should be fine. I think tuning up is probably better than tuning down, actually, because it seems the modeling doesn't like it if the string tension is too low.

" I think tuning up is probably better than tuning down, actually, because it seems the modeling doesn't like it if the string tension is too low. "
That makes sense. Tuning B up to C & E up to F is just going to make the string press onto the bridge even tighter.

"I've done 1/2 step tunings, open C for acoustic guitar (CGCGCE). It works. But you need to keep the amp volume up pretty high to make sure it masks the sounds of the strings. "

It's the strings themselves I'd be tuning to EADGCF, so direct string noise shouldn't be an issue except when using the alternate tuning knob, like it can be for anyone.

Okay, I've laid my card down and ordered a JTV-59. However it's not clear if I'll actually get one. It turns out they are out of stock at my (UK) supplier . They have an order in with their supplier, but don't have any delivery schedule. I get the impression generally that the JTV models are heading for the end of the line?

If push comes to shove, I'd settle for a Standard, but I already have a Yamaha Pacifica 112VM which is (so far as I can tell) the basis for the Standard, so I was hoping for a guitar with a different body (as well as the JTV-59 being a generally better spec'd guitar).