Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Footswitch is best for use with POD HD PRO X?

tecboy

With such little information out there, I am simply trying to find a footswitch to use with my POD HD PRO X. I purchased the MKII Express, it was a joke. I purchased the FBV3, I cant use it during the day, cause the led display is so low you cant see it. You cant use the color coding rings unless your using it with the spider. Its crazy! I am now considering the FBV MKII shortboard. It looks like the display is better for use during the day. Im just confused. What are those people owning  the POD HD PRO X, using for a footswitch with good results? Is there such a thing? 

You could use a MIDI foot controller like the following one (one of the best bang for the buck MIDI controllers):

Behringer FCB1010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnPey_oYn8c&feature=emb_logo

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thanks bro. I really appreciate your responses. My problem is It seems I am dumb as a box of rocks on how to setup, Especially midi. Im really good with tech stuff, but this has got me totally on my heels. Analogue is easy, just press the pedal and it works, but with technology, it seems very confusing. The board looks great. I have not seen anything that explains what I am doing, and even more complex, is how to set it up for my POD HD PRO X. I am also confused on how I should set it up in regards to whether I set up my setlist (Button 1 - Van Halen Song) (Button 2 - Godzilla) etc. or should I set up A rock tone, and the other switches are effects, like delay, reverb, distortion, etc. CONFUSED LOL NEED SOME HELP 

Thanks in advance. PS I tried my FBV3 this weekend at a gig for vets, and I couldnt see the display during daylight hours. I paid like 265.00 for this boat anchor, and I couldnt see the songs or the effects, I couldnt even use the tuner. Definitely only good for night shows. Cant use color codes. Seems like its a worthless waste of money. Maybe this unit will be easier?

IMO you would work much better with just the all in one floor version POD HD500X (same exact sound quality and power of the rack version) and take advantage of the Performance View full screen mode (with which you can set the LCD contrast as you like) where you can see how the FXs are arranged in the 2 (top and bottom) rows of footswitches and which of them are turned on/off:

lpg1dh2.png

..or of the Big User View full screen mode where you can see zoomed the preset number you are using:

SQhuwdF.png

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Thanks again! Well I really like my POD HD PRO. Really dont want to buy another unit. I really like the portability. It would be like me buying another gt100, which I already have. It really sucks, as I have my POD hd set up real nice. I took the patches I have and named them the name of each song. Bank 1a=Song Name, 2a=Song Name,3a=Song name, etc. It all seems great until I play during the day, and cant see the dam display. Im wondering if I can tap electronically off the display and mount a better display! I know it sounds like a major operation, but this is so stupid that this thing cant be seen during the day. What the hell were the developers thinking? Problem is, If I knew it was that way I would never spent almost 300 for that thing. I guess ill look around to see if I can have someone me help program that board you showed me. I like the 2 expression pedals. One for volume and the other for wah. 

1 hour ago, tecboy said:

Thanks again! Well I really like my POD HD PRO. Really dont want to buy another unit. I really like the portability. It would be like me buying another gt100, which I already have. It really sucks, as I have my POD hd set up real nice. I took the patches I have and named them the name of each song. Bank 1a=Song Name, 2a=Song Name,3a=Song name, etc. It all seems great until I play during the day, and cant see the dam display. Im wondering if I can tap electronically off the display and mount a better display! I know it sounds like a major operation, but this is so stupid that this thing cant be seen during the day. What the hell were the developers thinking? Problem is, If I knew it was that way I would never spent almost 300 for that thing. I guess ill look around to see if I can have someone me help program that board you showed me. I like the 2 expression pedals. One for volume and the other for wah. 

You're welcome..

When you struggle to read the screen of a smartphone or tablet due to the strong daylight, what do you do to improve the readability if you can't move to a place indoors?
You could increase the brightness, or you could try to create some shade somehow around the screen.

In the case of your pedal board you can't increase the brightness, but maybe you could find a way to create a bit of shadow around the display so that the direct light doesn't reach it and you can better see the names displayed.

I've never tried it, but who knows, it might work.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

34 minutes ago, hurghanico said:

You're welcome..

When you struggle to read the screen of a smartphone or tablet due to the strong daylight, what do you do to improve the readability if you can't move to a place indoors?
You could increase the brightness, or you could try to create some shade somehow around the screen.

In the case of your pedal board you can't increase the brightness, but maybe you could find a way to create a bit of shadow around the display so that the direct light doesn't reach it and you can better see the names displayed.

I've never tried it, but who knows, it might work.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Yes sir, great suggestions! I must say. Unfortunately, went through those things before asking out here. I built a little cover to create some shade around the display. this picture was taken at night in the carport. You really cant see the display there, in the dark. Just took a pic for idea. The light showing in this pic is my flash, but were under cover when we play. Its not bright light were playing in. Shady. There is a ceiling, (band shell). were not playing in the direct sunlight. This device makes it better, but not enough to see the display clearly. Just the strangest thing I have seen. I was thinking of tapping off the leads of the led display and bridge off, mount an external led (brighter) on the body of the FBV3. I dont know man, I like this thing but there is one bad thing about it, and Im living it. lol Looks like I might want to start learning how to program A midi controller. I hear you can do almost anything with that thing. Not looking forward to the learning part. Thanks again brother. I appreciate you - Tec

20191110_171031_resized.jpg

Have you ever thought about applying a good quality Anti-Glare Filter/Film on the display?

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

1 hour ago, tecboy said:

NOW WERE TALKING! No! I never even knew it existed. How cool. I will check it out. See, thats all i needed were people to think outside the box. 

Thanks a bunch

Beware that anti-glare filters are not all of the same quality..
Buy a good one. In any case it shouldn't be too expensive.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 8:55 AM, hurghanico said:

Beware that anti-glare filters are not all of the same quality..
Buy a good one. In any case it shouldn't be too expensive.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

ok, so heres the deal. This may be good for others that are having the same issue. I contacted LINE 6 and pushed me to their request site, to request a better led. What a waste of time that was. So buying something that really does not work for daytime players, was a waste of my money, but I did find a vendor online that offers the high quality anti-glare film that may be the answer to our problems. The site is: https://www.photodon.com/c/LCD-Protective-Films.html . I spoke to a very nice lady and purchased the MXT film, which she said should help the situation. She also said that if that doesn't work, she could devise a custom visor for me. The cost for the film was 16.00 bucks for a .5 inch X 4.5 piece to put over the led display. I will test when I get it and report back. Thanks for your help, and your ideas. More than Line 6 support would offer. They obviously dont care as they sold the item, thats the bottom line. Just dont understand why they would design a high quality trigger like this and you cant use in in the daytime. Makes no sense, or atleast make it adjustable. But it is what it is and I just have to suck it up and deal with it. Thanks again!

1 hour ago, tecboy said:

ok, so heres the deal. This may be good for others that are having the same issue. I contacted LINE 6 and pushed me to their request site, to request a better led. What a waste of time that was. So buying something that really does not work for daytime players, was a waste of my money, but I did find a vendor online that offers the high quality anti-glare film that may be the answer to our problems. The site is: https://www.photodon.com/c/LCD-Protective-Films.html . I spoke to a very nice lady and purchased the MXT film, which she said should help the situation. She also said that if that doesn't work, she could devise a custom visor for me. The cost for the film was 16.00 bucks for a .5 inch X 4.5 piece to put over the led display. I will test when I get it and report back. Thanks for your help, and your ideas. More than Line 6 support would offer. They obviously dont care as they sold the item, thats the bottom line. Just dont understand why they would design a high quality trigger like this and you cant use in in the daytime. Makes no sense, or atleast make it adjustable. But it is what it is and I just have to suck it up and deal with it. Thanks again!

Great!.. When you receive it let me know if it's a good solution.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

• 3 months later...

I use the Line6 FBV MK2 Shortboard, which is great, and the LED is visible in both daylight AND low light situations. I DO however have a problem with it, which I'm hoping you guys can answer.

I tend to use two or three patches, with multiple effects in each. I like switching on and off individual effects but find that I only have 4 switches to do this (labeled Stomp, Modulation, Delay etc).

I'd like to assign a unique switch to each effect across the patches, so for example FS1 always triggers distortion, FS3 always triggers delay etc, but am running out of switches unless I use the bottom row, which of course tend to be for patch switching, which I DO still need. Any way around this? Or will the Behringer FCB1010 be my only option?

1 hour ago, cyberi4n said:

I like switching on and off individual effects but find that I only have 4 switches to do this

or 8. consult the owner's manual for the "how to". 

I'd like to assign a unique switch to each effect across the patches, so for example FS1 always triggers distortion, FS3 always triggers delay etc,

that is all in how you design patches. consult the owner's manual for the "how to".

unless I use the bottom row, which of course tend to be for patch switching,

you can''t have your cake and eat it too. you can have 4x4, or you can have 8. 

Or will the Behringer FCB1010 be my only option?

any limits you have is going to be within the Pod. a new pedal won't make a difference. 

On 2/20/2020 at 4:57 PM, cyberi4n said:

I use the Line6 FBV MK2 Shortboard, which is great, and the LED is visible in both daylight AND low light situations. I DO however have a problem with it, which I'm hoping you guys can answer.

I tend to use two or three patches, with multiple effects in each. I like switching on and off individual effects but find that I only have 4 switches to do this (labeled Stomp, Modulation, Delay etc).

I'd like to assign a unique switch to each effect across the patches, so for example FS1 always triggers distortion, FS3 always triggers delay etc, but am running out of switches unless I use the bottom row, which of course tend to be for patch switching, which I DO still need. Any way around this?

FYI if you set the POD to use the footswitches in FS 5-8 mode, you can use all 8 footswiches to switch on/off effects all the time.

The only difference with the FS ABCD mode is that in FS 5-8 mode you have to press 2 footswitches (instead of just 1) every time you want change patch: ie you have to press one of the bank up/down buttons (doesn't matter which one of the 2) and then one of the ABCD FS you want, that's it!.. very simple.

The long explanation is that (only) when in FS 5-8 mode, when you press one of the the Bank UP/DOWN FS it doesn't change immediately the Bank, but it puts instead the POD TEMPORARILY in PRESET CHANGE mode, so during this temporary state you can select one of the ABCD patches, or you can change bank with a further Bank UP/DOWN FS press and then select one of the ABCD presets. In any case as soon as you choose one patch all 8 footswitches start working again only for switching on/off effects.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips