Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anderton's Review And My Take

drschultz

The thing about Google is it's self-correcting. If enough people eventually, as more and more people talk about the product, and it's available for sale on various website, Google's algorithms will stop auto-correcting the search.

Two things: First,  what he said is 100% correct - when you search Google now, AMPLIFi is at the top of the list, right in front of Amplifi Commerce. And second, I came off like a total lollipop bashing the gear, and I feel like a jerk for the things I said.

Happy with my DT25, HD500, JTV59, and happy for anyone who is happy with their AMPLIFi gear!

It's a cool idea, and a very interesting concept. It sits in a price point similar to lower cost studio powered monitors,

and I could see them expanding the line to compete with some of the offerings from KRK, M-Audio, etc.

I am currently looking at those exact products for my home studio; the three way KRK with a 10" woofer is $500/each. M-Audio has a three-way coming out soon with in-line mid and tweeter, and the list is $350/each.

Anyway, signing off, you won't hear negative energy from me anymore, sorry to anyone who found my misguided ranting and raving irritating, disingenuous, or disheartening. :)

"It might seem crazy what I’m about to say

Sunshine she’s here, you can take a break

I’m a hot air balloon that could go to space

With the air, like I don’t care baby by the way

Because I’m happy

Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof

Because I’m happy

Clap along if you feel like happiness is the truth

Because I’m happy

Clap along if you know what happiness is to you

Because I’m happy

Clap along if you feel like that’s what you wanna do!"

• 3 weeks later...

Talk about overthinking...lighten up people. 

I don't think Line 6 claims it to be a replacement for an tube amp head and a full stack!

I'm on my way out to pick one up right now...no kidding.

How about this senario.  This amp is perfect for my practice sessions.  I can cue up a  Guitar Tricks lesson on my laptop, and play the audio on the Amplifi while I play along...no cables, no mess.

Just as a full stack has an intended purpose, this unit has a purpose also, so please stop comparing an apple to an orange!

• 1 month later...

The AmpliFi 150 can be LOUD, very LOUD (well near a cannon shot, I speak by experience), but one shall understand how to tweak the volume as one has to work on 3 diferent dials:

- Master;

- Guitar; and

- Amp.

When all of three are at 100%, beware...

• 8 months later...

Guys.  We are talking two different animals here.

The dispersion, full frequency and reliance on smaller horns for the "stereo' effects" would never allow this amp to have the piercing throw and cut of a dedicated guitar amp.  It is indeed not it's purpose.

With that said, these days in anything but a small club and even there, the goal is to have an amp that you can realize the full gain potential both for tone, controlled feedback, etc, and mic the thing into the PA.  The amp is an instrument and to play it right it needs to be fully usable without drowning out the entire room. 

The dispersion of a guitar cabinet is generally much narrower (tighter), throws much further while directly in front of it and anyone who has stood dead eyed to an AC30 from 50 feet away then walks off axis would attest to this.

The speaker is also pretty much designed to replicate the frequencies that the human ear hears best 2-3K. 

This is kind of apples and oranges.  For some this won't be a gigging amp.  For some it will suit their needs.  Personally I find Guitar Rig  with 2 Mackie SRM-450's in stereo covers both throw and dispersion nicely. :-)

The lack of XLR outs to a board in favor of a switched headphone jack is a shame.  It would have been a small addition that would have negated much of this conversation and made it translate to a stage much easier.

On a side note:  Can anyone verfify that using the 100 internal patches with an FMV MKII Shortboard without bothering with IOS and bluetooth negates the issue of sound delay while switching patches?  I really miss my Lexicon MPXG2 processor that actually allowed blends between patches, etc.

Thanks.

• 1 year later...