Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Anderton's Review And My Take

drschultz

Here is the review

I can't believe the Line 6 rep said hooking up a POD X3.  Really??  I think its more of an appliance than an Amp.  It looks super lite and I am sure sounds great being stereo.  I just can't see this being a gigging amp.  I know, its geared towards entry level and the younger crowd.  I was hoping that it was something I felt I could use.  Guess not.  :(

I feel like Line 6 took a step back on this.  POD X3, FBV Board, 

What do you guys think?

Oh just thought I would put this out.  When searching on Google Line 6 AmpliFi  Google auto completes to Amplifier so it can be kinda of hard to get a proper search.  Yeah you can override but in this day and age it might have been better to use a word that would not get auto-completed to something so generic. 

• Downvote 1

Honestly, I am glad it doesn't compete with the DT amps!! I won't feel some inane need to return my recent DT25 purchase - though I'd be lying if I said this thing is not intriguing.

First up, It isn't really a guitar amp to me. It's a wireless speaker system. I mean - this thing has no tubes. It's not "Just" a guitar amp, though, and that's what makes it interesting. I have a DT25, it lives in the band practice spot. I'll probably bring it home over the weekend since I have Saturday off, work on some patches in low volume mode, give the new JTV59 that arrived today a proper session.

From the literature, they literally call it a boombox. That's what they should have called it. Line6 BoomBox!

quote: "Need to play back songs during rehearsal? Or crank up the volume at a party? This isn’t your dad’s boombox."

That being said, I could totally see this thing in my living room. It's more akin to the iHome type stuff, but with some "fun" guitar modelling features. Notice how they don't use the word "HD" ANYWHERE in the product description"? I would hazard a guess that means these are NOT the HD amp models in the HD500x, etc. I could be wrong, but it seems like they chose IOS for a reason.

The primary reason I can think of, is iTunes app and music library. They want people to create a Cloud user buzz, and IOS has a pre-existing entity in place to help. This thing depends on some form of WIFI signal I would imagine, given this statement:

"The AMPLIFi cloud automatically keeps all your devices up to date and synchronized. You can store an unlimited number of presets in the cloud—and access them anywhere."

How exactly does that work? Is it relying on the IOS device using 3G/4G or WIFI to connect to the Cloud, then uses the onboard Bluetooth to transmit that data to the amp? For me, this thing would LIVE at home. Stage? No Freaking WAY. Also, no tubes.. 150w of SOLID STATE power.

This is not the guitar amp reinvented. It's the BOOMBOX reinvented! And that, is a cool idea.

There are just so many unanswered questions... you can stream audio to the box so we know it is a power amp/cab. But you have to plug your guitar into the box, so where is the sim/fx taking place?  Is it in the box? If so its pretty dumb not to be able to access it without your iStuff.  Or is your guitar signal being sent to your iStuff for processing and sent back to the box for broadcasting?  If so then why wouldn't they have utilized their existing Sonic Port to get a true wireless system?

I can't imagine how they would build something so entirely dependent on you owning/using a separate Apple device and yet, here it is.  Even if you hook up your floorboard, you won't be able to see what its doing without your iStuff.  If it was a truly wireless system where I could keep it in the corner of the living room and plug into my iStuff over on the couch and jam that would be OK but I don't see it working like that.

Not impressed...

There are just so many unanswered questions... you can stream audio to the box so we know it is a power amp/cab. But you have to plug your guitar into the box, so where is the sim/fx taking place?  Is it in the box? If so its pretty dumb not to be able to access it without your iStuff.  Or is your guitar signal being sent to your iStuff for processing and sent back to the box for broadcasting?  If so then why wouldn't they have utilized their existing Sonic Port to get a true wireless system?

From a guitar processor perspective, the amp isn't much different than previous Line 6 modeling amps. It still does everything in the amp. This is kind of the rebirth of the Spider amp, in a way. Those amps were always marketed toward a younger player, and they marketed the fact that they came loaded with 300 or whatever it was artist tones. With this amp, all the tones are simply being stored on Line 6's servers instead in the amp itself. The iOS portion simply allows for audio streaming from your music library to the amp, and it allows you to use the editor in the app.

I can't imagine how they would build something so entirely dependent on you owning/using a separate Apple device and yet, here it is.  Even if you hook up your floorboard, you won't be able to see what its doing without your iStuff.  If it was a truly wireless system where I could keep it in the corner of the living room and plug into my iStuff over on the couch and jam that would be OK but I don't see it working like that.

Well, yeah, you won't be able to see the parameters on the amp itself without having an iPhone or iPad with you. But you could still recall presets, and presumably, I imagine you could turn effects on and off with the floorboard.

I'm not sure what to think myself yet. It seems like it will be useful. I kind of like the fact that it's a relatively inexpensive amp that I could grab and go and use for both acoustic and electric sounds. Plus, if I needed to, I could actually play a backing track or something through it. It could be nice for a small coffeehouse gig or something.

You can also store 4 presets in the amp once downloaded or configured on an iOS device. You can then tweak some standard amp controls on the amp itself (drive,bass,mid,treble,reverb, and one fx parameter) and restore the settings on the amp. An fbv mkii express or SB can then recall those 4 presets on stage.

Hope this helps

Andy

Oh just thought I would put this out.  When searching on Google Line 6 AmpliFi  Google auto completes to Amplifier so it can be kinda of hard to get a proper search.  Yeah you can override but in this day and age it might have been better to use a word that would not get auto-completed to something so generic. 

drschultz,  If you want more consise results use this line 6 amplifi -amplifier you can negate words by using the minus "-' sign.  Multipe negations are okay too.

drschultz,  If you want more consise results use this line 6 amplifi -amplifier you can negate words by using the minus "-' sign.  Multipe negations are okay too.

I understand what you are saying here.  I was just pointing out that in this day and age a product name should be something that pops to the top when you type in a search engine.  How many people would type in Line 6 Amplifi vs Line 6 amplifi -amplifier ?  The target audience appears to be younger to early 20s.  Which means there may be purchases done by parents and other family who may not be search savvy and maybe less amplifier savvy.  Just my thoughts.  Heck they could have used the name Line 6 Spider Web.  That would have put it in the right placement since I feel it is replacing the spider amps AND would have been unique as well.

I agree... to a point.  The younger crowd, early 20's and 30's should know this search strategy.  They pretty much grew up with it.  I'm in my mid 50's and only due to the fact that I was there at the beginning (when Al Gore invented the Internet) know it.  That and a whole lot of Unix / Linux experience.  Regular expressions etc... However, you are correct, their parents other family members may not be so savvy.  By the same token, I can't imagine anyone in the target age group that would not be looking on their own and knowing what and how to look for it. 

The real problem is, the powers that be I.E. the people who name the product don't think that way.  They with the ad agencies try to come up with the most catchy term.  They most definitely missed the boat on this.

You're right, if it is indeed the evolution of the Spider series, which I own a Spider Jam, Awesome amp!  Which I'm looking to replace, it's dying.  It should have a name relative to that series.  Alas, ours is not to decide, just deal with it. lol

The real travesty here is, the only thing that pops to the top of ANY search engine anymore is either paid for or "stolen" by page rank bots.  So sad, what the Internet was and is are two vastly different things.

My concern is the ability to get loud enough, convincingly.  150 non tube watts...is NOTHING.  I have a 1000 watt Matrix power amp (non tube)...it gets loud...but I definitely have to push it for realistic rock band, gig volumes.  I can't even imagine, this little boom box competing in a pro level way....with a hard hitting drummer and bass player with an 8x10 cab.  

I played a Amplifi 150 at NAMM at the Line6 booth. It may be Ok as a home practice amp, but neither version (Amplifi 75 or Amplifi 150) is loud with enough SPL to keep up with a Rock drummer. So buy from a retailer with a return policy, and IMHO look elsewhere if you need an Amp to play gigs with . Just for reference, my 2005 Vox Pathfinder 15R (15 transistor watts) is louder than either of these Line6 Amplifi amps   

Just for reference, my 2005 Vox Pathfinder 15R (15 transistor watts) is louder than either of these Line6 Amplifi amps

I'm gonna say I find that hard to believe. I can't comment on the Amplifi's volume, but I'm just saying I'm skeptical that a 15W solid state amp is going to significantly outperform either of these. I used to have one of the little Vox modeling amps. It wasn't that loud.

Anyone who needs to compete with a drummer for volume has the wrong drummer. The drummer has just as much responsibility as anyone to stay in the context of band dynamics. You don't let him bang away and then crank everything else to match.

Is it because you use iTunes Match?

There's another thread about that on this forum where only downloaded songs will play in the amplifi app. If you download them first in the normal player, they'll work in the amplifi app.

let us know if this works for you

Cheers

Andy

Some interesting posts both positive and negative. My thoughts...

I'm a gadget freak so when I saw this amp I thought,'got to have one'. I was going to get the 150 - being led by the usual Line 6 hyperbole about it being a real gigging amp etc. - but instead went for the 75 as I had just got rid of my Yamaha THR10 (about which I also believed the marketing boasts!) and thought it would at least make a good practice amp with the bonus of the built-in music player.

I dutifully downloaded the app, updated the firmware, plugged in and...pleasantly surprised. Good, usable clean tones and the app seemed to respond well. Simple to connect and once you get the way the volume/level balance works, plenty loud enough for a home amp. But as a gigging amp, I don't think so.

First off, 75 tranny watts are definitiely NOT 75 tube watts and my AC15 would have the Line 6 cowering in a corner. I also would advise any potential buyer not to expect tube-like tones. You will get Line 6's versions of tube tones, but as we all know, these are approximations at best. However, I stuck a Shure SM57 in front of it, recorded a few pieces using the Amplifi and the Vox and I have to say, most of the people I asked were pretty evenly split about which they thought was the true tube amp and the modeled versions. Not sure if that says more about the people I know or the amps, buy there ya go!

So, trying to get things into perspective, my hand-wired Vox AC15 cost me £800 ($1200) and has one - possibly two - amazing, very loud sounds. The Amplifi 75 cost me £250 ($375) and has an almost infinite range of sounds, virtually every stomp box you can imagine, is plenty loud enough for home use, has a decent built-in music player, works with my FBV foot pedal and looks pretty cool too.

Not for everyone, but does what it does very well indeed.

• Upvote 1

My concern is the ability to get loud enough, convincingly.  150 non tube watts...is NOTHING.  I have a 1000 watt Matrix power amp (non tube)...it gets loud...but I definitely have to push it for realistic rock band, gig volumes.  I can't even imagine, this little boom box competing in a pro level way....with a hard hitting drummer and bass player with an 8x10 cab.  

If I needed to blast my 100w TSL and 4x12 1960 Lead to keep up with a band, then I'm looking at permanent hearing loss, and then a new band.  I hardly ever got that thing past volume level 5, and usually only between 3 and 4, even during live performances, and it was mic'd up as well so it didn't need to be.

The whole idea (for me, at least) is to go smaller these days, I don't think massive rigs with mountains of 4x12s are needed anymore unless you're playing an arena.  Mic up a polished tone from your nice small amp, and drive it elsewhere.

In my opinion, a SS 150w amp is more than loud enough on its own, and if not, then you're doing it wrong.

Respectfully,

J

• Upvote 1

I can't even imagine, this little boom box competing in a pro level way....with a hard hitting drummer and bass player with an 8x10 cab.

1. My 150 watt Vetta never had any trouble keeping up with a hard hitting drummer and a 2 cab bass rig with 4X10s and 1x15 - I doubt the 150 watt AMPLIFi would be much different.

2. Little amps work on even the largest stage if you use enough of 'em:

image0001.jpg

I do not doubt we will see an AMPLIFi style head/4X12 cab setup soon enough for those competing with 8X10 bass stacks.

If I needed to blast my 100w TSL and 4x12 1960 Lead to keep up with a band, then I'm looking at permanent hearing loss, and then a new band.  I hardly ever got that thing past volume level 5, and usually only between 3 and 4, even during live performances, and it was mic'd up as well so it didn't need to be.

The whole idea (for me, at least) is to go smaller these days, I don't think massive rigs with mountains of 4x12s are needed anymore unless you're playing an arena.  Mic up a polished tone from your nice small amp, and drive it elsewhere.

In my opinion, a SS 150w amp is more than loud enough on its own, and if not, then you're doing it wrong.

Respectfully,

J

You're responding by way of another planet my friend.  Nobody's arguing about needing to crank a 100w tube marshall head to hear over a drummer.  Solid state wattage is a completely different animal than tube wattage.  Yes, yes...typically a standard 150 watt solid state amp will not be able to keep up in terms of stage volume with a a rock drummer in a gigging, medium venue scenario.  That's not opinion...that's a fact.  If this string if full of bedroom players...then fine, that amp would suffice.  Yes you can mic any lower volume amp and if there's enough sound system/PA headroom...it will translate in the house.  Yes, if you're playing in a "clean tone", blues...funk...non full blown rock band...it "may" suffice.  You'll find the majority will tell you, that 150 solid state watts is nothing for a rock setting.  Even solid state watts, modeling amps...need to be pushed to feel that natural headroom and that "tube like" articulation...and yes, this opinion comes from a large amount of pro players.  No they are not doing it wrong.  It's gear 101.  

• Upvote 1

1. My 150 watt Vetta never had any trouble keeping up with a hard hitting drummer and a 2 cab bass rig with 4X10s and 1x15 - I doubt the 150 watt AMPLIFi would be much different.

2. Little amps work on even the largest stage if you use enough of 'em:

image0001.jpg

I do not doubt we will see an AMPLIFi style head/4X12 cab setup soon enough for those competing with 8X10 bass stacks.

The Vetta was 300 watts.  150x2.  This little toy is just 150 total.  My guess also, is that the Vetta had a different design.  I had a Vetta head years ago and it pumped.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, this comment is 100% spot on. It's called "passing the Google Test". It's what any band attempting to name their song, band, or album needs to look into. In the world we live in today, ideas no longer exist in a bubble.

And it's clear from this name, that they couldn't come up with anything better than "amplifier" minus the R. Sort of a good analogy for what this toy gadget boombox bluetooth speaker really is : short one letter. Just shy of the target.

That being said, when you type "amplifi" into Google, the first search result is not Line6....: The funny thing, if you scroll to the bottom (of the "Amplifi Commerce" web page) they have a little graphic of a moving speaker! too funny... OOPS!! There really is no excuse. A simple web search would have turned up that Amplifi Commerce was founded in 2008.

Amplifi

• Upvote 1

The Vetta was 300 watts.  150x2. 

Erm...

http://line6.com/legacy/vettaii

Vetta II Combo Features

• 150-watts stereo

My vetta II combo was 150 watts, same wattage as the AMPLIFI.

As I recall, the Vetta head was higher wattage than the combo.

The combo was plenty loud, I toured with it and played to audiences of more than 1000 people - never had any volume problems.

If I were playing metal in stadiums or hockey arenas or something I would have probably opted for the head with 2 4X12 cabinets, for most other kinds of music and venues the 150 watt combo was fine.

Of course if you are an arena rocker the AMPLIFi would be a silly choice for an amplifier and you are clearly not the target consumer.

For most other players in most venues up to medium sized clubs I believe the 150 watt AMPLIFi (if it is as loud as my Vetta combo was) would likely provide plenty of volume.

This little toy is just 150 total. 

150 watts is a lot for a solid state guitar amp - not many have more than 150 and most have around 1/3 to 1/2 of that.

I understand it is not for you and due to the lack of HD modeling it is also not for me (after spending 2 years with my HD500 the AMPLIFi would be a major step back in tone IMO), but just because it doesn't suit my needs or your needs does not make it a "toy". It is essentially a PodX3 with cool wifi control , a fairly high power amp and FRFR speakers added - and a PODX3, though not the best modeler available at this point, is still IMO a fairly serious and powerful piece of gear.

No matter how much nay-saying anyone does here people are still going to buy it and gig with it and enjoy it.

Buy it or don't, then move on and enjoy life!

• Upvote 1

I used to gig with a Flextone II XL (which I believe was only 100w SS in a 2x12 combo) and had no problems at very loud rock/metal volumes, competing against an 8x10 Ampeg cab and the loudest DW kit on earth.  Stage level was more than enough for me and everything else was mixed into the mains.

Anyways, you made it clear what your opinion is so let's just move on.  This isn't a product bashing site and it's odd that you're posting here when you're hating on the thing so much...plenty of people are going to love this amp and it's exactly what they need.

Yeah, this comment is 100% spot on. It's called "passing the Google Test". It's what any band attempting to name their song, band, or album needs to look into. In the world we live in today, ideas no longer exist in a bubble.

And it's clear from this name, that they couldn't come up with anything better than "amplifier" minus the R. Sort of a good analogy for what this toy gadget boombox bluetooth speaker really is : short one letter. Just shy of the target.

That being said, when you type "amplifi" into Google, the first search result is not Line6....: The funny thing, if you scroll to the bottom (of the "Amplifi Commerce" web page) they have a little graphic of a moving speaker! too funny... OOPS!! There really is no excuse. A simple web search would have turned up that Amplifi Commerce was founded in 2008.

Amplifi

The thing about Google is it's self-correcting. If enough people eventually, as more and more people talk about the product, and it's available for sale on various website, Google's algorithms will stop auto-correcting the search. It's actually already doing that because even though it wants to auto-complete to "Line 6 amplifier" if you search for "Line 6 Amplifi", it searches for that, and doesn't auto-correct the search.

Line 6 is a business, and they've been doing this for a while. They're the one's risking their name and reputation on the product. It is what it is. You like it or you don't. It's not like they kicked your dog.

Pretty sure the name is a play on words like Amplifier and HI Fi ...

Maybe but more likely the little i at the end of AMPLIFi is homage to Apple iOS on which the technology is based... don't hold your breath for an Android version any time soon...

Maybe but more likely the little i at the end of AMPLIFi is homage to Apple iOS on which the technology is based... don't hold your breath for an Android version any time soon...

Actually I think the AMPLIFi was leaning towards WiFi.  Since they are using wireless technology, Bluetooth and using the "cloud" to manage the device..  I still think they should have called it Spider Web.  I look at this new amp as being a reinvention of the Spider Jam.

• Upvote 1

I think its best that all party's actually go to a Guitar Center and demo the Amplifi 75 and 150.

I have demoed the Amplifi 150 at 2014 Winter NAMM and for verification last weekend at Guitar Center Hollywood.

Its fine for its intended function - a nice home practice amp -

But due to Amplifi's moderate SPL level it does not move enough air for live Rock Band use , its going to get drowned out by a drummer.

Also no D/I Out kills all enthusiasm for live use. Id rather bring a '65 Deluxe Reverb and some FX pedals - as that would have more SPL for live use compared to Amplifi. 

I also own a Line6 Vetta Combo and a Line6 DT50  - both these work well live and leave the Amplifi where it belongs, at home in the living room.

• Upvote 1

I could maybe agree about loudness, but frankly, I don't want to play with a drummer that cant control his dynamics.

Agreed - and in most of my bands i play in today playing too loud will get you fired.

But there are times when the band must breath fire, and its important to have the right tools for the gig. 

If you play in a 70's Tribute Rock Band at festivals, look elsewhere.  

• Upvote 1

I'm just curious, does the Amplifi have handles? You would think they would at least have indented grabs to make it easier to move around. None of the pics show handles of any kind. Be kinda funny to show up to a gig (coffee house sized gig!) carrying the amp like a baby. Ha!

I'm just curious, does the Amplifi have handles? You would think they would at least have indented grabs to make it easier to move around. None of the pics show handles of any kind. Be kinda funny to show up to a gig (coffee house sized gig!) carrying the amp like a baby. Ha!

There is a handle on the top of the amplifi. It's next to the controls, where there's a recess on the top, there's also an undercut to put your hand under to carry it.

I think its best that all party's actually go to a Guitar Center and demo the Amplifi 75 and 150.

I agree - without trying it there is no way to know if it is loud enough for you.

If the AMPLIFi 150 is not as loud as a 150 watt Vetta combo then maybe it is a case of 150 solid state watts not always being 150 solid state watts, but I do think it is kind of silly to automatically judge a solid state amp unfit fit for live use just because it has a power output of 150 watts or less - I have seen literally hundreds of guitar players using SS amps with 60 to 150 watts live over the years playing every kind of music imaginable. Jeez, one of the hottest setups to amplify the HD500 for live use is a pair of Tech 21 60 watt power engines... and lest we forget, thee most popular solid state amp of all time was only 120 watts, and I don't recall anyone ever saying it was a toy that was only for bedrrom players:

jc120.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to chime in here and you guys are going to fry me but I'm learning guitar and will probably buy this amp.

57 YO. Played drums for 50 years. Pro sound for 30 years. I do  pro sound for festivals and bars in the Seattle area.

I'm a software architect and love new toys. I used analog audio forever. I started using the Software Audio Console for

live sound and live recording. Every old school sound guy said lollipop. The virtual audio stuff sucks, They are wrong.

Last year I added a Mackie dl1608 wireless iPad mixer to my rig for festivals.  At the end of the day, the bands from last

year ( 50 or so) loved the sound. They loved I could wander the stage with them getting it right. Audiences come up to me and say

"that sounded more like the record than any show I've heard."

I no longer own any analog outboard gear or mixers. I never let a guitar player crank a 100 Watt amp on my stage.

I never let a drummer kill the band. Most of my guitar players use small amps or pedal boards only and monitor through

in-ears or decent stage monitors.

Any guitar player or sound guys that says these new devices suck, does not realize their potential and does not realize

the audience does not know or care.  They know a good guitar player when they hear it.  They don't give a lollipop how the amp sounds.

Time to move on guys.  Embrace this new stuff. Have fun with it and learn some new stuff.

I tell myself this every day now.

Don't get me wrong. This is a commentary about old gear vs. new gear, not players...about new stuff vs old tubes.

Yes, i love a pure tube sound but that was then. This is now.

Thanks for listening. I welcome your comments.

Jim

• Upvote 1

BTW, another point. I was at NAMM this year listening to Robby Krieger's band. Up front the bass sound was physically hurting people. They had their hands in their ears or on their stomachs. I couldn't stand it. I went to the sound guy and politely and respectfully said, "Hey, the bass up front is overwhelming. People are unhappy." He. said, "I know. Its not me. The bass rig on stage is maxed out. Its Zappa's bass player and he won't turn down."

As a sound guy, I'm telling you, if you are mic'd on stage. You do not need 150 watts of screaming amp- or 2000 watts on bass.  Get the drummer a shield and let him eat his own dog food. When you kill the stage with sound, the sound guy can't balance it for the audience and you will sound terrible. Stop telling me you need to crank you amp to get "that" sound. If you can't get that sound its because you didn't practice enough - with your amp.  Play as a group, blend. Let the sound guy mix for the audience. If you don't like the sound guy, find one you do like. (There are many bad sound guys.)   My bands come up to me after the show as say, "My friends say the show sounded great. Thanks". This can't happen if everyone is competing on stage.

• Upvote 2