Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Stomp preset volumes wildly disparate

jkartush

Got my HX Stomp and as expected there is always going to be differences in the volume of the different factory presets as well as the many presets I’ve downloaded from the community site. Such differences of course would be expected say between a clean twin preset and a cranked metal tone.

however the volume differences appear to be extremely different from one patch to the next. I spent a number of hours trying to normalize these, not to identical volumes, but to more appropriate volume differences between clean versus crunch versus distorted. 

at first I begin modifying amp distortion levels then channel volumes then master volumes, then pedal volumes...and lastly noted that additional volume changes could be made at the output.

so... before I spend too many more hours, am I missing some major concept here - and if not is there a better way to be approaching more reasonable volume differences between patches.

Many thanks, Jack

GOTCHA!

Honestly, nobody knows why one of the biggest complaints ever has never been addressed, unless it's because of the second biggest complaint - the factory presets all $uck!

Factory presets serve one purpose - to demo a modeler's capabilities. They're not intended for serious use, they're a learning tool. If you find one you like, examine how it was made, then apply the principles to making your own.

If you must try leveling the factory presets, I would suggest that you've been going about it backwards. Any changes in levels that you make at the beginning of the signal chain affect the GAIN STAGING downstream. Start by increasing (or decreasing) the gain at the Output Block. If that's not enough, add a Gain Block just before the Output Block. You can then move to the speaker output level. The Amp Channel Volume doesn't affect the Amp's tone, but it will affect any effect blocks downstream. See the can of worms you open when you try to "improve" somebody else's preset?

Learning to create your own presets is not that hard. Just approach it like you would a REAL WORLD amp and pedalboard. Start with an amp you think you might like, work with the amp's tone stack and the stock speaker, maybe changing mics and distances, until you've got something you like. Then add effects. Most of the effects are based on real world effects, and most of them have online User Guides at the OEM sites. Nobody knows how the Line6 original effects work, but you can always ask here......

MOST IMPORTANT: HAVE FUN!

• Thanks 1

rd - thanks for your quick reply

Been using pedals for a few decades... Stomp easy  enough to program from scratch but I usually pick something in the ballpark and then modify from there.  Also a learning experience to see how the other presets programmed.

Agree that factory presets usually just show off capabilities and are often not useful except as a starting point.  But was a bit surprised at how the volume differential was also the case in the downloaded CustomTone forum when I was just seeking gig useable ones vs overly effected gimmick tones.  Oh well

One quick aside - When moving my Stomp from an amp to a PA, I of course changed the output to Line from Instr - but tones not sounding great, despite the proper output change - but I'm guessing the mods I made before may be at fault and will have to be reworked

Will now aim to "normalize" tones starting with the gain at the Output Block, and then move back in the chain

Appreciate your advice.  Great having folks willing to help out

Thanks!

58 minutes ago, jkartush said:

One quick aside -when moving my Stomp from an amp to a PA, I of course changed the output to Line from Instr - but tones not sounding great, despite the proper output change - but I'm guessing the mods I made before may be at fault and will have to be reworked

What I'm about to suggest may be a complete duh to you, but it's always hard to know someone's experience with a modeler off of one post.

Just to be sure though, direct presets need to be substantially different from amp presets.

9 hours ago, jkartush said:

But was a bit surprised at how the volume differential was also the case in the downloaded CustomTone forum

Why would that surprise you? Everybody has a different method for normalizing their setups... and they may all differ from your approach. Some might run their outputs at line level, others at instrument. Some might keep their main volume at 1/2, others at full. That hasn't even touched on the countless variations of how a person might monitor their tone.

Any of those choices will alter how "loud" their create their presets. There is no right or wrong way, you just need to be prepared to adjust things for your use. 

It seems to me that most of presets designed for direct use (they have DIR in the preset name) were relatively close in volume, but I haven't scrolled through them in quite awhile. There are several use cases represented in the factory presets, though. The FX only presets (they have FX in their name) would probably be significantly lower in volume than the direct presets (and won't sound right in a direct scenario).

Appreciate everyone's comments! 

Going forward I'll begin my volume adjustments first at the Output block.  

I did know diff's re FX and DIR - but as a new Stomp user, simply didn't take that into consideration during my first flurry of edits

Regarding prefixes DIR + FX, FWIW, of the many presets I DL'd from CustomTone, don't recall many using these in preset names.  Now I know I'll simply need to analyze the effect chain in edit mode and go from there

Thanks again