Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Share your patch setup ideas!

SaschaFranck

Hi,

I thought it'd be a nice idea to share some ideas about how we all create our patches and how we use them in different situations. Things such as special routings, switch assignments and what not.

I'll start myself with what I think will be my main way to use the Helix in a typical recording situation when I'm recording on my own, using the Helix as an interface, too.

Note before I start: I also own Helix Native, but that's irrelevant for this kind of patch.

Here's a picture demonstrating the basic layout of this patch (I can as well attach the patch, but it's really nothing special):

MainRecordingPatch-1.jpg.6dbdd4dda07f1e44508bfb0c813085d8.jpg

First thing is a looper, so I can always record something quickly and adjust the patch without having to play myself (incredibly handy).

Then there's a gain block (not controlled by any switch) that I use to somewhat compensate for different guitar output levels.

Next there's a wah block and a bunch of drives, followed by some modulation blocks. I use and replace them whenever I feel like. They're all controlled by switches for quick access.

In path 2a, you'll see the amp block - this is also what will ultimately run into USB 1/2 and be recorded. I might add some post-amp blocks whenever I feel like. At the end of path 2a there's a split, path (a) going out to the mentioned USB 1/2, path (b) being reserved for monitoring only.

The first thing in path 2b is an IR block, loaded with what I'd call a "generic cab", suitable for all kinds of sounds. I do occasionally exchange the IR, but it's not really required.

Next thing is a volume block routed to EXP2, which is very comfortable as it adjusts my monitoring volume. Small caveat: Should I want to record a volume swell, I would have to drag it into path 2a and lose the quick monitoring volume control. Same goes for recording a wah (I'm not using an external pedal but just a switch for EXP3). Still fine most of the time - and in case I need a different monitor level, I can as well adjust the output of path 2b.

The last two things are a "monitoring pleasure" delay (usually the legacy stereo delay) and reverb (usually the legacy plate).

As you can see, what gets recorded via USB 1/2 is a sound a) without any cab information and b) without any room FX. Having no cab recorded is allowing for a lot of mixing freedom as I can chose from a plethora of IRs in my sequencer of choice. For a start, I always load the IR I'm using on my monitoring path. Similar things go for delays and reverbs, I usually have some of them running in my sequencer anyway, so I'm rather using those, especially as it's quite easier to mix. Punch ins are easier that way as well, as I don't have to deal with any overlapping or cut off delay/reverb trails.

Pretty happy with this setup. And should I feel like, I could always record USB 7/8 simultaneously, delivering a DI guitar track that I could slap Helix Native on.

This patch can easily be modified to suit recording with another interface, in that case I'd simply change the output of path 2a to XLR. And in case I wanted the cab portion to be recorded as well, I could just drag it from path 2b to 2a.

As said, so far this is my prefered recording patch, seems to work as great as it gets.

Hopefully there's more to come.

• Upvote 1

Mine isn't nearly as complicated since I'm really only building my basic preset that I'll use when I play the song live, so no surprises there.  The difference is, since I have a full Helix floor, I have separate presets that are designed for the Bass, Keyboard, rhythm guitar, and electronic drums all of which can stay plugged in to the Helix.  Then when I'm ready to record the bass track or the keyboard track I simply select the appropriate preset, arm the track and start recording.  My studio monitors are attached to the Helix and are used for general playback but I usually use the headsets when actively recording a track.  I can control the playback output level from the DAW with the master volume control and the mix with what I'm recording using the headphone control.  It all makes for a quick and easy workflow when I'm recording.