Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

First impressions after upgrading to Helix from POD HD

dflorey

Hi folks,

just received my new Helix-looks very solid and is quite easy to use.

I've been late to the party as I've been waiting for the update to be able to remote control the DT-25's

First thing I did was upgrading to 2.8.2.

Just a few things I noticed that are a bit odd:

The effect blocks are grouped by mono/stereo/legacy.

Why are the put under "legacy"? Are they working differently than the new ones?

Here come my top 2 feature request (I've already starred them):

1. Would be great if the Looper could be synced to the tempo

2. Please add a pulse sync option to the SEND blocks, it would be so cool to sync external analog gear with the helix tempo... Plllllleeeasse :-)

41 minutes ago, dflorey said:

Why are the put under "legacy"?

Because they're old... exactly the same as the FX of the same name in your POD HD.

2. Please add a pulse sync option to the SEND blocks, it would be so cool to sync external analog gear with the helix tempo... Plllllleeeasse :-)

Feature requests need to go in Ideascale... in here,  they'll never be seen by anyone who can do anything about it.

42 minutes ago, dflorey said:

The Legacy category of FX are ported to Helix from earlier modeling technologies; they are not based on Helix modeling.  They don't work any differently but they were built differently. Nonetheless they are very good and popular models and Line 6 decided to make them available in Helix but tagged them as Legacy for easy identification.

1 hour ago, dflorey said:

Please add a pulse sync option to the SEND blocks, it would be so cool to sync external analog gear with the helix tempo... Plllllleeeasse :-)

I am assuming you are requesting that the "tap tempo" could be assigned to an external outlet so it can be used as an tap tempo for pedals that accept that. 

I agree that might be handy... https://line6.ideascale.com/ is the place to make a feature request like this. 

It looks like there has been a suggestion for this... but it has not received many votes. You can vote this one up.... or submit a new one that is reworded so people can understand the benefit more. 

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/CV-output-ability-to-send-tempo-pulses/782984-23508 

That aside, the tempo is send via MIDI... of course, that will only work with effects that have midi, and will receive the appropriate CC values. 

1 hour ago, dflorey said:

This is not a fairly simple matter of just sync'ing two time-based signals. Right now the Looper has no concept of tempo so there's nothing to sync. It's simply a recorder that captures a non-tempo-based audio signal for the time duration book-ended by the start/stop signals. But within that duration there is no concept of bars, beats or bpm. Before it could be synced to tempo the Looper would have to be completely overhauled to include tempo. Not likely to happen in this product.

But who knows? It's certainly worth posting the suggestion in Ideascale, or upvoting it if it's already there. At the very least it can be considered for future product development.

13 hours ago, dflorey said:

Hi folks,

just received my new Helix-looks very solid and is quite easy to use.

I've been late to the party as I've been waiting for the update to be able to remote control the DT-25's

First thing I did was upgrading to 2.8.2.

Just a few things I noticed that are a bit odd:

I also do not like that they put the Legacy effects into a separate category. Should have mixed them in with their corresponding category just like all the other ones and differentiated them with an alternate font or color or whatever. When I audition different overdrive pedals or delays for example I prefer to have them all in one place. Having to jump out to a separate directory for the Legacy effects makes no sense to me although at the time maybe it was quicker and easier for them to program them that way. I think a lot of people would use them more if Line6 mixed them in to their respective categories(distortion, modulation, delay, etc.) with the rest of the effects.  Don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth 'cos it was amazing that they added them but I hope they decide to change this at some point.

Actually put this one in Ideascale a while ago, vote it up:   https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Move-Legacy-Effects-in-with-the-rest-and-make-em-look-different/921132-23508

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, silverhead said:

The Legacy category of FX are ported to Helix from earlier modeling technologies; they are not based on Helix modeling.  They don't work any differently but they were built differently. Nonetheless they are very good and popular models and Line 6 decided to make them available in Helix but tagged them as Legacy for easy identification.

That's not entirely true. In every post I ever read from Digital Igloo he said they'd been upgraded to be Helix level.

I have no idea what the hell that means, but he did indicate SOMETHING magical was added to them. 

I'm not sure how magical it was but yes, they did have to do something to make the old models compatible with Helix. What I am saying is that this 'something' involved porting the software/coding of the old models so that it would run on the Helix hardware. What they did NOT do was start from scratch, draggng the physical analog device on which the Legacy model was based from storage and apply the new Helix modelling technology to create completely new DSP software for that analog device. It was a port of old DSP software, not new DSP software creation.

9 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

That's not entirely true. In every post I ever read from Digital Igloo he said they'd been upgraded to be Helix level.

I have no idea what the hell that means, but he did indicate SOMETHING magical was added to them. 

They weren't really upgraded. They were ported over. It does allow for the algorithms to run at a higher sampling rate, though, so in some cases that might make a slight difference in how they sound. The way Ben Adrian described it once is that it's like they put the older effects in an HX wrapper.

• Thanks 1

On 11/12/2019 at 9:24 AM, silverhead said:

This is not a fairly simple matter of just sync'ing two time-based signals. Right now the Looper has no concept of tempo so there's nothing to sync. It's simply a recorder that captures a non-tempo-based audio signal for the time duration book-ended by the start/stop signals. But within that duration there is no concept of bars, beats or bpm. Before it could be synced to tempo the Looper would have to be completely overhauled to include tempo. Not likely to happen in this product.

But who knows? It's certainly worth posting the suggestion in Ideascale, or upvoting it if it's already there. At the very least it can be considered for future product development.

It would be a huge undertaking to stretch the audio or something, but I think all he's asking for is quantizing the loop commands.  My Jamman does this when you run midi clock in to it.  When you hit the footswitch to start / stop a loop, it lines it up on the nearest beat.  It makes it much easier to time a loop properly.  This seems like it should be pretty straightforward.