Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Corrupted preset(s)

themetallikid

I have one or more presets in a setlist I want to utilize that are giving me an error.  I don't know how to remove them.  

I had a setlist that was a song library of all the songs (I go a song per preset in my lists for band shows) and I was copy/pasting to clear it out to use the new preset templates I created and I get an error and my Helix screen turns blank, have to power up and its fine again.  I've tried different methods to try and overwrite it. 

What are my best steps to get this corrected for my shows Friday/Saturday...I have about 80 presets I need to redo.  Otherwise Its back to basic tones on my GT100 as a backup....

I understand your problem in general but I am unclear on the details of the procedure that you have already used. Please elaborate on what you mean by 'copy/pasting to clear it out to use the new preset templates...' Once I understand that I may be able to suggest alternative methods.

Have to say, and you may/probably already have tried this but if I were seeing that kind of behavior I would first try to delete the preset using the FS 11&12 global reset option. That option deletes the current preset. Make sure you have the preset you want to delete selected before you do this. If you can't get rid of them that way or you have a lot more presets that are acting up I would do the backups in step#1, do a complete global reset, and then restore from backup. I would probably do that anyway just as a preventive measure. If that didn't work I would do the following.

1. Do a create backup, backup all my setlists, and backup my presets individually.
  2. Uninstall the Helix software, and reinstall, making sure my firmware matched my HX Edit version.
  3. Do the the global reset described in the firmware update instructions.
  4. Restore from backup.

https://helixhelp.com/manuals/helix/reset-options.html#helix-floor-lt

As always get some backups before you start mucking with anything.

I'm just curious if you tried exporting an empty preset to your computer hard drive, then just restore the empty preset over the one you want to replace.  I do that if I want a clean empty preset, but I can't say I've ever done it en masse like what you were doing.  Typically it's just one at a time.

alright, tried the 11 & 12 button reset, it seemed to erase the preset, but when I checked by  copying/pasting a preset on top of the 'newly blank' version...I got the same error.  Tried a backup from restore...only restoring setlists (after backing up the one that I want to keep)....and it couldnt complete when it got to the setlist>preset with the issue....

On 11/12/2019 at 11:24 PM, themetallikid said:

alright, tried the 11 & 12 button reset, it seemed to erase the preset, but when I checked by  copying/pasting a preset on top of the 'newly blank' version...I got the same error.  Tried a backup from restore...only restoring setlists (after backing up the one that I want to keep)....and it couldnt complete when it got to the setlist>preset with the issue....

Do you have your presets backed up individually or just setlists? If you do you could restore just the ones you want. Probably aware but presets can be backed up individually by highlighting all of them at once and hitting 'Export'.

When you copy/pasted on top of the newly blank preset did you copy in a preset that was working properly elsewhere? In other words will no preset load properly in that position; even one you know works correctly in another slot? Can you successfully create one from scratch in those positions after you used the FS 11&12 reset to delete the corrupt preset? Seems like you have a few options now:

1. If the preset slots that were glitching are acting right after the global delete/reset procedure you could just not load the corrupt presets and leave things as they are.
  2. If those preset slots are still acting up with no preset loaded after the reset/delete process. Try a full global reset and restore.
  3. Or, if all else fails as a last resort completely uninstall, reinstall HX Edit, update firmware, run global reset and then restore from backup. 

Good luck with this, sounds like one of your setlists got corrupted but you never know. When something goes wrong with the firmware update or HX Edit install there's definitely a fair share of people who report preset issues. Also sometimes you may have a setlist that does not load properly but selecting and restoring the setlist from a "Restore From Backup" works just fine.

ok tried a full reinstall of 2.82....restore from backup....the preset names now say 'new preset' and they are blank, but when I try to acces them, I get these errors

Error 1:

Failed to paste one or more presets

Unknown communication error

Error 2 (after the 1st error is cleared):

Failed to get preset names

Service is not online [code -8207}

yeah I did open a ticket as I was debating to send it in to have the tap tempo button replaced/cleaned whatever.  I don't want to try and tackle that and void any warranty.  

I will try what was mentioned above, but I've tried copying/pasting several single presets from different locations into it and seems to get the same error.  Only time I didn't get the error was during the restore from backup procedure, 

@themetallikid I just had the same exact problem (fw ver 2.82) - landed here searching for any others w/ this issue. Mine's a couple of ranges of contiguous patches in setlist #3 that were previously "New Preset" and are now all corrupted. Same symptom - can't overwrite them w/o error, and trying to blanks the helix screen requiring a reboot. I was hoping it was just a memory corruption, but I'm not encouraged by the fact that yours persisted after a wipe. Maybe I'll try /not/ doing the restore from backup & see if that helps...

1 hour ago, shmaque said:

@themetallikid I just had the same exact problem (fw ver 2.82) - landed here searching for any others w/ this issue. Mine's a couple of ranges of contiguous patches in setlist #3 that were previously "New Preset" and are now all corrupted. Same symptom - can't overwrite them w/o error, and trying to blanks the helix screen requiring a reboot. I was hoping it was just a memory corruption, but I'm not encouraged by the fact that yours persisted after a wipe. Maybe I'll try /not/ doing the restore from backup & see if that helps...

Oddly enough, I wiped all presets/setlists & all was good again. Tried manually restoring my patches to a *different* setlist one at a time (not from a setlist backup), and that setlist got corrupted, too. I'm trying to narrow down if one specific patch is causing it, or if it's just interacting with hx edit that's my problem... The way it followed me into a different setlist in much the same way makes me doubt it's a problem with the flash itself?

Yeah I agree, here is the response I got from my latest support ticket exchange:

"Hi Jason,

I honestly have not seen this issue before with any other Helix's. If you would like us to take a look at the setlist issue when you send in your Helix for a repair, then I don't mind doing that for you. I would just need to know what setlist you're having the issue on.

You're technically out of warranty since the Helix was originally purchased over 2 years ago, but I can make an exception for you this time around."

Cool, that they would be willing to make an exception, but I've got 0 weekends free in the meantime to be without.  

There was a thread not too long ago about a guy stating that HX Edit was causing his presets to be corrupt, as he can roll them back to previous firmware and they are fine, but as soon as he upgrades to 2.82 and the reimports them....and some other things, they become corrupt.  He has repeated the process several times I guess and L6 refuses to acknowledge his information or something.  Seems I'm sorta going down a similar path.  I'm not really currently using the setlist that has the corrupt presets, but I'd like to.  I'm about to do a wipe again, and only import the core presets that I know are good into set 1 indvidually and leave the other setlists wiped and work that way.   

I could technically use that setlist and not get to presets 84/85, however it makes me wary to put that much work into song specific presets and have them go bad as well.  

• 2 weeks later...

So...update....I finally had time again to try and (worst case scenario) factory reset the device and just restore my good 'core' setlist.  I see that buttons 6 & 7 would restore presets/setlists to factory so I tried that first...

It worked as far as allowing my corrupted slots to now be overwritten, and I imported my 'Core' setlist just fine in Setlist 1 slot.  

However, I now have the 'lag' that I had when I first switched to 2.8...that was fixed (i believe) in the 2.82 release....??  Any ideas...I step on a preset/snapshot and the helix audio is there, but visually its about a second behind

update #2.....I jumped the gun apparently....

working through creating song specific presets...I'm through 26 of them...and I see at the bottom of my preset scroll area that presets 44/46/49/51 all have a 'diamond with a ? inside it' in the name field.  I tried copying a preset over the top and got the same errors as before, screen goes blank and requires a power reset of the Helix....but boots up the same ways.  When I try and click on one of those presets i get a screen on my helix where the upper right 2/3's of the screen is just a grey scrambled mess....gonna update my ticket, but something is definately not right....

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem, I have 5 preset that I can not use any more. I can not do anything with helix crash with black screen, it's like a dead zone in my setlist. I reinstalled the firmware 2.82 do a total reset, nothing changes, I used HX edit to save a preset and use the helix directly, it does not work. I can live with this dead zone but I'm afraid it will spread. My helix LT is no longer under warranty. I am French and it is difficult to communicate on English forums for me.

Had a preset become corrupted right in the middle of a rather important rehearsal two days ago. No idea what caused it because others than doing the usual operations (switching and adjusting the occasional parameter) I didn't do anything special. Had to do the 11/12 reset to even get the Helix back to work - but unfortunately that preset was lost, hence all the edits I did during the rehearsal went with it, too. Fortunately I'm always only using one preset per gig and I had a backup sitting on a different memory slot, but obviously that was without the edits.

So far, this hasn't happened to me on gigs, but in case it does more than once (I always give my tools a second chance), the Helix will have to go in favour of something else, there's no way around it, as much as I dig the unit.

For me, one of the reasons to use dedicated hardware (as opposed to, say, using a laptop) is additional stability. And so far, each and every of the units I ever owned and used have provided that additional stability, in around 30 years of using programmable devices not a single one has ever lost a preset because of a software error, so it's quite a sad thing that the device I love more than anything else I used ever before is exhibiting such issues.

I do of course always have a backup solution with me - but the reason for doing so is because some hardware might break (which is what I could understand) not because the software is buggy and deleting my work, along with things freezing in entirely.

Even more unfortunately, this seems to be a wellknown issue in Helix land. If you google for related things, there's plenty of hits for the Helix, but when you replace "Line 6 Helix" with "Boss GT-1000", there's no hits. Hm...

So far I'm knocking on wood, and as said, I'm willing to allow the Helix for one "free shot" (which it hasn't taken yet, at least not on a gig). But reading all this up is quite discouraging.

yeah I had an issue with my GT 100 when I first got it.  I did the same thing, I created my core tones, then a preset per song...for 60+ songs we do...using the Boss GT Studio or whatever its called.  shut it down, came back the next day to play and all the preset names were jumbled....the expression pedal wasn't doing what it should have been....come to find out, their software is known to corrupt presets and there was no way to recover what I'd done the night before.  ugh....I learned a hard lesson that day.  the helix has been better for me and thankfully its easy to backup and restore items...but still...makes me a little worried and want to go back to the Fractal with it being rack mounted and safer from spilled drinks and such during gigs.

Hi, I am also having the same problem with the preset list becoming corrupted. I have tried the complete reset reload of 2.82 and still have the issue.

The interesting part of this is that the preset locations that are corrupted are different from the first time it happend.

This seems to occur while using HX Edit to copy paste presets which is something I do often to build gig specific lists.

Symptoms are the same with the affected presets either being blank, or they have a few characters in them, or they have  the question mark outlined by a diamond at the front of the preset name.

I started a ticket with support so we shall see what happens.

You are not alone with this issue though and it is very disturbing.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:10 PM, nord37 said:

This seems to occur while using HX Edit to copy paste presets which is something I do often to build gig specific lists.

Symptoms are the same with the affected presets either being blank, or they have a few characters in them, or they have  the question mark outlined by a diamond at the front of the preset name.

Possibly related to this I have noticed that copying and pasting from one location to another sometimes results in the copied presets being rebuilt the next time the Helix is restarted. In my opinion this should not be happening! If a preset is being copied from a location on a Helix that has been started with no rebuild messages, why is it rebuilding after being copied? In other words, what is the Helix seeing in a copied preset upon restart that makes it think that it needs to run the import/upgrade process on it a second time? The same process it would use after you import new presets or do a firmware upgrade and reload setlists. Additionally it does not seem to happen consistently. Perhaps it is only happening on certain presets that have been built originally on a prior firmware version. If that is the case why weren't they already rebuilt to be indistinguishable from presets built on the current firmware on your last restart? The Helix does NOT immediately run the rebuild process when you modify and save a blank preset on the current firmware, or at least doesn't display a rebuild message. So what is different when you copy and paste that is sometimes initiating a rebuild upon your next restart? 

It makes me think that you should not start editing presets that have been copied and pasted until you restart the Helix. If that is the case that is a massive inconvenience and a "feature" that should be fixed. Ultimately what I am getting at here is I wonder if corruption can be introduced into a preset by editing after it has been copied and pasted without restarting first and allowing the preset(s) to rebuild. If this is the case then first off you shouldn't be able to edit a preset until it has been rebuilt. Better than that would be to rebuild a copied preset immediately upon paste. All of this though begs the question of why a second rebuild of a copied preset is required of a preset that has already been rebuilt upon a previous start. This should not be occurring at all.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

It makes me think that you should not start editing presets that have been copied and pasted until you restart the Helix. If that is the case that is a massive inconvenience and a "feature" that should be fixed. Ultimately what I am getting at here is I wonder if corruption can be introduced into a preset by editing after it has been copied and pasted without restarting first and allowing the preset(s) to rebuild. If this is the case then first off you shouldn't be able to edit a preset until it has been rebuilt. Better than that would be to rebuild a copied preset immediately upon paste. All of this though begs the question of why a rebuild of a copied preset that has already been rebuilt upon a previous start is occurring at all.

Thanks for your investigative efforts (really!).

Yet, whether restarting the Helix will result in "edit-able" presets or not (I didn't have too much issues, but well, as said, I had one preset completely freezing the Helix, but that didn't happen on a copy) is of little help because that's not even remotely how I'd want to work at all. I have a few baseline presets that I build the final presets up upon. Hence I need to be able to copy and edit them. Besides, this is computer 101. You just don't restart your computer in order to be able to edit a copied Excel document.

In a nutshell: I think this is by far the most serious software related issue the Helix is suffering from and it's pretty wellknown, too. The Helix team should be all over it. At least I'd be, if I were in their position. Might be a tough thing, though, as there's no 100% reliable ways to reproduce the problem (if there was, I'd happily give it a try, usually helps programmers to tackle it down).

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, nord37 said:

Hi, I am also having the same problem with the preset list becoming corrupted. I have tried the complete reset reload of 2.82 and still have the issue.

The interesting part of this is that the preset locations that are corrupted are different from the first time it happend.

This could be related to mine as well, as I do copy my 'core template tone' into another setlist/preset slot and then edit it to make it song specific (effects, lead boosts, snapshots).  I can see where that would be an issue if the Helix does have to 'rebuild' it when transferred between setlists.  Maybe within a setlist it doesn't but maybe different setlists require a 'clipboard' to continue the Excel/MS analogy and even though its pasted into a new setlist/preset option its not fully pasted or saved there until reboot and when it is restarted...there are 2 versions fighting for one slot...the 'saved' one and the 'clipboard' one.  

To contradict that line of thinking though, initially my corrupted presets were setlist 2, presets 82/84 the very end of my Master Song List 1 setlist....not sure why it wouldnt have happened on the previous 80+ presets then...and also....once I did the resets that I went through and 82/84 were 'fixed'....why did I have 4 other presets show up with the ?diamond shape...when those ones were fine before hand. who knows.

I added these 2 threads to my ticket and replied back to line 6 that the steps in the other thread have fixed my issues and that maybe they should add those steps to their troubleshooting steps....and have heard nothing back for almost a week now...so happy the issue is still resolved, but not about the lack of reply from them.  

Just got my Helix this week (used), upgraded it from 2.50.0 to 2.82.0 and started loading it up with presets and....ran into this same corrupted set list and black screen hung Helix issue.

I saw it when I tried to grab and drag 4 presets at the same time from a folder into the HX Edit over 4 new preset entries. Helix hung (black screen) and I got the same error messages mentioned above to on the HX Edit and then could not get the set list to clean up (some empty line some line with ?preset and others with odd text.

I did however manage to clean it out by saving the ´corrupted' set list as it was, then by just re-importing it. It came back in clean.

Then to not run into the issue again, I only dragged in one preset at a time (not 4) and that worked. After dragging in about 15 presets, I also stopped,  closed the HX Edit tool and powered down and back up the Helix. This allowed the Helix to come up and ´rebuild' the presets that I added (sorry can't remember the exact term the Helix screen showed after turning the unit back on and after the firmware loads).

Maybe a work around for now....until an official solution is provided.

• Upvote 1

They replied to my ticket and just had me try to start the Helix up with different reset combinations. I had already done that and I still had the preset corruptions and responded with that information. They never got back to me after that.

I eventually just restored from a complete backup before the  corruptions showed up. 

I have the same problem (2.82.00) some slots for presets are not available when i try to import preset files it make my helix black screened I tried to import a complete blanck new preset setlist and that work, but when I try to import my setlist, it fail. I can use the over setlists without issue

• 1 month later...

Hate to necrobump, but I just had this happen to me again (fw 2.82.0) while copying blank presets over existing ones in HX edit. End of this particular setlist is irrecoverably corrupted again just like a couple months ago. My guess is there isn't much data validation going on and one of the messages from HX edit got corrupted, causing it to stomp on flash where it shouldn't. Guess I'm off to restore presets again and hope my patch backups are up to date...

I just experienced the same issues, some slots can't be used anymore. If I try to copy a preset an error message occurs and the screen gets black. I am assuming it's not an isolated issue, looking at the other users occurrences..

Hoping Line6 considers to work on it in the next updates.

4 hours ago, gary93 said:

I just experienced the same issues, some slots can't be used anymore. If I try to copy a preset an error message occurs and the screen gets black. I am assuming it's not an isolated issue, looking at the other users occurrences..

Hoping Line6 considers to work on it in the next updates.

Please send in a support ticket to Line6 so they have visibility into how many users are having these issues. Even though this is a Line 6 forum they don't frequent here as often as other places.

Wanted to contribute to the conversation and share that I'm experiencing a similar problem where some of my patches are corrupted.

In one of my playlists, for example, the names of the patches are empty or show the name as "reset", "Preset" or "�New Preset" (with the question mark symbol).

This looks to me as a memory corruption bug out there.

I started to have this issue after I edited a patch (copying a block from path A to path B). After saving the patch, I went to use another patch and, upon returning to the patch in question, it was blank. I'll see if I can open a support ticket as well. 

1 hour ago, themetallikid said:

yeah tickets for sure......its an easy fix if you back your stuff up properly.  it happened to me a 2nd time...and was back up and running and working again in about 10 minutes.  Most of that the boot/reset time

What exactly did you do to get everything working as expected? Did you do a global reset followed by a restore from a backup?

• 1 month later...

Hi everybody!
I just submitted a very detailed ticket on the corrupted presets and helix freeze black screen when copying bug

I thought I would share the text I sent to line 6, it's a bit long but I hope it can help someone

I've not added here the screenshots and attachments mentioned in the text since I think they are only useful for developers to track the bug

the part in green is the procedure that in the end worked, but I think it's worth it to read it all if you're having similar problems,

here it comes:

--- --- ---

Hi, this is a very long and quite detailed document: it took a LOT of time (three full days that I wouldn't have had if it wasn't for the quarantine) and a LOT effort to investigate and write down all of this, so please take this seriously, thanks

starting point:

Helix Floor

HX Edit and Helix Floor Firmware 2.82

Line 6 Updater 1.18

mac pro 8 core, macOS 10.12.6

a problem happened to me months ago,

then I worked around it

and it happened again (but worse) now

in case you need to know, I upgraded to 2.82 months before the first problem: I followed all the instructions and I had no problems at all with that

causes:

copying some presets from a setlist and pasting to another

then trying to rearrange presets in a setlist, i.e. dragging some blank presets over others to "clear" them, etc

effects:

some preset slots become "corrupted":

loading a backup preset or setlist over them gives the errors in attached screenshots

in detail:

moths ago I copied a preset from a setlist to another and after a while (I can't reconstruct the exact steps) it gave me the code -8207 error (see attachment "191223 hx edit crash.png"), then when I quitted hx edit it crashed (see attached log: "191223 hx edit crash LOG.txt")

I tried to reimport a backup of the preset exported from the original setlist with no luck: other crashes

the workaround was to reconstruct that preset from zero by hand then avoiding touching it anymore.

Some days ago I copied some presets from a setlist to another

then I tried to rearrange presets in a setlist, i.e. moving some presets, dragging some blank presets over others to "clear" them, etc

it gave me code -8604 errors (see attachment "200324a helix error.png")

and the hardware freezed = black screen

each time switching off and on again the hardware and relaunching hx edit or better restarting the computer got me back running,

but trying to import a backup of the same setlist older than the problem over the seme setlist slot

or to overwrite the corrupted slots with blank presets gave back the same errors and the hardware freezing

(importing the same old backup over another setlist slot did work correctly)

my "workaround" months ago was to avoid some preset slots in that setlist and work in other setlists and presets, then everything seemed ok...

then, as it happened to me, months later you forget which slots were corrupted and you use them or you repeat some of the actions that I described above, and there you have the problem again...

other users have had the same or similar problems, here are some links where you can find their descriptions and snapshots:

https://line6.com/support/topic/52598-corrupted-presets/

https://line6.com/support/topic/52387-in-a-setlist-some-presets-positions-bug/

https://line6.com/support/topic/51832-strange-behaviour-in-setlist-when-copying-presets-2nd-time-this-happens/

https://line6.com/support/topic/54673-would-someone-be-so-kind-to-share-a-blank-setlist-with-me/

https://line6.com/support/topic/16083-helix-bug-reports/?do=findComment&comment=319227

I thought I found a partial solution resetting everything just like described in this post:

https://line6.com/support/topic/51832-strange-behaviour-in-setlist-when-copying-presets-2nd-time-this-happens/?do=findComment&comment=316239

so I tried to make a backup but the backup failed!!

an error code -8214 message appears, and the helix freezes on a black screen (see attachment "200413b backup fail.png")

then I backed up each setlist and all are correctly exported except the "USER 4" which gives many "-4" errors, see "200413c setlist USER 4.hls", "200413c setlist USER 4 export fail.png" and "200413c setlist USER 4 single presets" folder;

that setlist was all made of "new presets" because I tried before to clear it by importing a clean setlist which reproduced the problem,

oddly enough, exporting all those empty presets does not give an error (I included them in the attachment)

[reading this after having finished all the procedure I think that setlist could have been the USER 3 slot with the name USER 4 because that was the empty setlist that I had backed up and that I used to overwrite the faulty setlist]

then the procedure I followed was:

helix factory reset (9+10 FS pressed on boot),

hx edit reinstall,

firmware reinstall,

manual import of IR's

manual reconfiguration of the global settings

loading of each setlist by itself except the faulty one

then I manually reimported single presets (saved before all problems) to build the "various best" previously faulty setlist, in doing so I also rearranged them inside the setlist to change their order,

then when I exported this setlist I got the -4 errors, see: "200413d setlist export fail (built from single presets).png"

the corrupted preset slots have strange names (as you can see in my "200413e corrupted presets.png" snapshot and in different other snapshots from other users in the above links) and before corruption they were ALL empty "New Preset" at the bottom of the setlist (my presets arrived at n.70 and the corrupted ones are from n.93);

I tried to export all these presets at the end of the setlist, see attachments:

"200413e corrupted presets.png" and

"200413e corrupted presets" folder (only the normally named presets were actually exported)

then I tried to overwrite the corrupted slots with empty "New Presets" from the same setlist, and this recreated the -8207 error and the helix floor freezed, see attachment "200413f corrupted presets overwrite + floor freeze.png"

in the attachments I'm including differet versions of my "various best" setlist

before and just after the 2.82 upgrade and two "failed export" versions

so again I followed the procedure:

hx edit reinstall,

this time I then updated the line 6 updater to v. 1.19,

firmware reinstall,

restart helix holding FS 7+8 to restore factory presets and setlists,

manual reconfiguration of the global settings,

at this time I erroneously loaded a backup of a different "safe" setlist in user 3 setlist slot which was the faulty one and I had an hx edit crash

this time the hardware did not go black screen but freezed on a "transferring data please wait" message (see attachments: "200414a hx edit crash LOG.txt" and "200414a screen.jpg")

I switched the hardware off and on again then loaded the same "safe" setlist on user 1 slot without problems

manual import of IR's FROM ORIGINAL FILES, not from files exported from the helix,

loading of each setlist by itself except the faulty one,

presets rebuild (hold 10+11 FS on boot)

full backup (for IR's and Global Settings), see attachments "200414b Helix Floor Backup post reset.hxb" and "200414c faulty USER 3.hls" which is the setlist that if overwritten on the helix gives the error

manual loading of each "safe" preset to reconstruct the faulty setlist (avoiding move/copy/paste)

at this point the USER 3 setlist showed the same strange names of the presets that you can see in "200413e corrupted presets.png"

I avoided touching them and I tried a presets rebuild (hold FS 10+11 on boot) with no luck (the strange names were still there but I had no crashes/errors/freezes)

then I overwrited the setlist with a blank one (which was an empty USER 1 setlist that I exported just after the last reset with hold FS 7+8 on boot)

and manually recreated my "various best" setlist, this time on the "USER 4" slot, again avoiding move/copy/paste

and had no problems!

I renamed the USER 3 setlist "faulty" so that I don't touch it anymore and again exported it, that gave me some -4 errors (see attachments "200415a faulty setlist export.png"

and "200415a faulty USER 3.hls")

then I restarted helix holding FS 10+11 for presets rebuild

(I was just glancing at the screen but I had the impression that the automatic rebuild procedure jumped the user 3 setlist slot)

and full backup + single setlist + presets export

here I made the "mistake" to move a couple of presets around the user 4 setlist and his export gave me the error -4 ("200415b various best export error -4.png")

then I did another full preset rebuild

(this time i filmed it: it jumped from 429 to 641 and again from 664 to 671 and from 677 to 686 ...)

anyway this time all exports went fine

it seems that overwriting the full setlist that has some corrupted presets with an empty setlist and rebuilding presets on boot, sort of creates a "less faulty" setlist that lets you do backups and exports

but I can't trust copying and moving presets!!

I hoped that not touching the faulty USER 3 setlist would have let me work without crashes but the last problem was on the USER 4 slot...

ok so just to be totally safe, let's start yet another full reset/restore !!!!

hx edit reinstall,

line 6 updater upgrade to 1.19,

firmware reinstall,

restart helix holding FS 7+8 to restore factory presets and setlists,

manual reconfiguration of the global settings,

manual import of IR's FROM ORIGINAL FILES not from files exported from the helix,

loading of each setlist by itself including the previously faulty one (on setlist slot 4)

restart helix holding FS 10+11 for presets rebuild

full backup + setlists export + presets export

this time everything went smooth... but of course I still can't trust copying and moving presets anymore!!!

at least now, if the problem arises, I have a procedure to restore everything BUT...

the bug is definitely there, somewhere between the HX Edit and the USB communication with the hardware, I think.

I hope I've helped you to identify the problem and solve it in the next upgrade

many of us don't care for new fuzzes or meters if we can't trust easy operations like copy/paste/move

thank you

Lorenzo Sempio

u.n.: perapera

loreiw@libero.it

• Upvote 2

Lorenzo, thank you for the time you took to investigate this issue and report the problem.

As a software developer, I can tell that the problem has to do with some type of memory corruption bug. There is some type of buffer overflow or similar that is simply writing data in places that should not be written.

Anyhow, let's hope this issue gets fixed soon.

I agree, thank you for the great work.  I can work on the unit directly, however it is much more convenient to do so in Edit.  

I agree just in my own assumptions and detective work that there probably is some sort of a buffer memory and the send/receive is not carrying all the data or its getting lost in transmission somewhere or being over loaded....something. 

Thanks for explaining in detail what you did. 

I can confirm pretty much everything you have found and have run into most if not all of the same issues multiple times. I'm at the point where I just don't dare to make too many changes in my setlists and I'm constantly backing up my presets. 

I have also submitted a ticket on the matter but the response from Line 6 was essentially an explanation on how to get things working again once I had these corrupted presets (which basically is a reset of the device). So that response wasn't very helpful. Clearly something is wrong in the way HX Edit communicates with the Helix. I'm not a software engineer so leave it up to the experts to figure out what it exactly is. Just as a user (who doesn't do crazy stuff and/or has an exceptional setup) I need to be very careful in making presets and setlists. For me guitar playing is just a hobby so if I need to reset the device ... well so be it. That said, it shouldn't be like this of course.