Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problem With Jtv69 Tunings

i bought a jtv69 made in korea about 9 mos. ago   it was perfect right out of the box  now i have this problem   all models work fine   i tune thus with a korg pitchblack plus tuner  in standard tuning its fine but when i go into the other tunings lollipop baritone low strings   E A D sound fine the other 3 strings sound awful. anybody else have this problem or any ideas on how to fix it or do i have to send it back  thanks for your help.    cal

I just bought a JTV-59 korea model 2 days ago and am having this exact problem. 

In most tunings like drop dflat and open G, open D, open A, the top three strings sound like a 12 string guitar but not exactly, it sounds like the original sound is also leaking through. This is most apparent when using clean models like acoustic or reso, making it unplayable.

I would like to know if this is a problem that can be fixed by software update or is it a hardware problem and I have to replace it?

Im going to try and install the latest update tonite, if mine already isnt the latest one and post back the results.

BTW, Im connecting the Guitar to my POD XT Live via the Variax Input. Output is from the phones to my Studio monitors. All amps, cabs, mods and effects are turned off on the pod xt live.

My personal opinion is its a hardware issue.  I think when you use highly sensitive pickups such as (Piezos) you pick up allot of artifacts from the guitar (sympathetic resonance).  I have talked about these issues before and posted my own solution you can try it or not (it solved my problems I had with the way the tunings and the modeled guitar sounded.. 

here's a link to the topic http://line6.com/support/topic/111-make-your-variax-sound-100-better/

My personal opinion is its a hardware issue.  I think when you use highly sensitive pickups such as (Piezos) you pick up allot of artifacts from the guitar (sympathetic resonance).  I have talked about these issues before and posted my own solution you can try it or not (it solved my problems I had with the way the tunings and the modeled guitar sounded.. 

here's a link to the topic http://line6.com/support/topic/111-make-your-variax-sound-100-better/

Thanks for replying. I will definite try this out.

But in the video you posted in the link, you are referring to the noise that rings out from the headstock, but in my case its the original sound thats leaking out and coming out of my monitors and even headphones. When I record into a DAW, the clip sounds perfectly fine, but monitoring the guitar in alternate tunings just sounds so off.

broker2 - If you follow katiekerry's links, I believe there is a picture in one of the posts of someone who put velcro or felt or whatever it is at the back of the bridge to keep the "sympathetic vibrations" at bay.

broker2...  I vote that you pioneer it for all JTV69 users.   ;)  Obviously you'd have to remove the strings and restring the guitar with the velcro in place.  Or maybe you could loosen the strings enough that you could slip the velcro under the strings just behind the string saddles.

can you put that velcro on the bridge of the jtv69  i saw you did it on the jtv59  just wondering if it would work on the 69 and how you would get it on   thanks  cal

It's hard for me to believe that the short section of string between bridge piece and anchor slot could possibly create problem harmonics.  The section between tuning machine and nut is another story.  I've tried putting a foam strip on the headstock of my JTV-69 and couldn't really hear any difference, but there's evidence to suggest that it can be a problem for some folks.

Actually with the JTV 69 series you may pick up allot of funny noises from the bridge.  Since in most cases its floating ( not flush with the body) then there are also the funny spring vibrations you get.  ( with my Fender stratocaster I completely blocked it) Removed the springs and all, I placed wedges of wood on both sides of the tremblock to hold it in place. Totally changed the sound and tuning stability.  (some guys like the sounds the springs I didn't).  Further more I noticed a more dramatic change in the way my JTV59 sounded after I added the strip to the bridge ( not so much behind the nut).  I think because there is more direct dampening behind the bridge.   One of the biggest differences is the amount of cross talk is cut down ( arpeggios are much clearer and precise) when you hop between say the 6th string and the 3 string it doesn't vibrate to the other open strings.  So when your running the modeling or alt tuning there is less artifacts to process..  Also when you palm mute it sounds allot better for some reason.    But everyone has their beliefs or theories.  I would try it, worst case scenario you have to change strings again.  I would just run a thin strip ( I did about a 1/8 of a inch wide) right behind the Piezo pickups. 

ok guys tryed the velcro and the foam nothing worked took it back to the store and they had 2 in stock so we tryed them and mine amp.was loud everything worked fine they all sounded the same    they said i must have been playing with my amp. turned down to low so i was hearing double sounds .thanks for all of your help    cal

I have tried the Velcro on the nut and bridge of my 59 but no luck. Still get the ringing especially with the virtual capo on. Doesn't matter what volume I play at. Seems worse playing the Lester models. I may as well try Velcro just in front of of the little ball on the strings. The biggest offenders for me is the B and E strings

I have tried the Velcro on the nut and bridge of my 59 but no luck. Still get the ringing especially with the virtual capo on. Doesn't matter what volume I play at. Seems worse playing the Lester models. I may as well try Velcro just in front of of the little ball on the strings. The biggest offenders for me is the B and E strings

is it on all tones you make up or only distorted tones.  Do you get it with perfectly clean tones no effects or amp emulations going.. just plane variax going... cause I have seen videos of some of these phenomenon ringing and I think some of its caused by their settings they are running the variax through.  Similar to phase cancellation. Odd Ringing or almost doubling effects.. I am not saying that's it just trying to find more information to figure out whats going on by isolating the occurrence to help find the culprate.

I have started having the same problems just recently! My 59 worked flawlessly when I first got it? I have started a ticket with tech support & will probably have to send it back as I think it's a hardware issue. The guitar is useless if the tunings sound this bad!

is it on all tones you make up or only distorted tones.  Do you get it with perfectly clean tones no effects or amp emulations going.. just plane variax going... cause I have seen videos of some of these phenomenon ringing and I think some of its caused by their settings they are running the variax through.  Similar to phase cancellation. Odd Ringing or almost doubling effects.. I am not saying that's it just trying to find more information to figure out whats going on by isolating the occurrence to help find the culprate.

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your query.   It seems to be noticable on clean tones with or without effects (but worse with delays)  and with an AC30 Preamp emulation going into my DT25.   It is especially noticable when you slide from one note to another as opposed to just lifting your fingers off of one fret and moving to another.

BTW do you change all your strings at once so you can put the velcro across the bridge?  If so, is that okay to do so?   I always thought strings needed to be changed one or two at a time to avoid neck problems.      I'd much rather do it all at once however.     How close should the velcro  be the little saddle thingys (very technical term) that the strings rest on?  My little saddle thingys are not in a straight line at all so I could get my intonation right.  

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

I always thought strings needed to be changed one or two at a time to avoid neck problems.

ROFL! who told this? Just dismount your guitar neck, hit him quite a few times on his head and see who get problems ;)

I never heard such bulllollipop! I have a very close friend an he's a guitar manufacturer and I help him many times in his workshop.

When he have to repair e. g. the varnish of the guitar, stays for a long time with strings dismount. Do you think the guitar will get neck problems???

I think what katiekerry meant to say: There is possibility that the strings between their seat and the bridge can vibrate just a little and the piezo pups can pick up this noise.

Put something under the strings to avoid this vibration of the low end of the strings.

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your query.   It seems to be noticeable on clean tones with or without effects (but worse with delays)  and with an AC30 Preamp emulation going into my DT25.   It is especially noticeable when you slide from one note to another as opposed to just lifting your fingers off of one fret and moving to another.

BTW do you change all your strings at once so you can put the velcro across the bridge?  If so, is that okay to do so?   I always thought strings needed to be changed one or two at a time to avoid neck problems.      I'd much rather do it all at once however.     How close should the velcro  be the little saddle thingys (very technical term) that the strings rest on?  My little saddle thingys are not in a straight line at all so I could get my intonation right.  

you had mentioned the lester model when this happens, Does it happen with all models or just the lester.  If its kinda a high pitch gliss type of sound You could change the impedance settings on the HD500 to lower the top end a little. ( you have to use the guitar input though not VDI cable) I have noticed a change in the highs when I mess with the impedance setting.  it says in the manual the lower the settings act as a attenuater for high frequencies. it may help reduce it possibly.  I really wish I could hear it though that would help allot.  is it the same sound as in this video..

http://youtu.be/ldaIK3gUlXM

I actually had problems with the sounds in the video above but after I did the velcro thing it dissipated.  As far as changing strings I change em one at a time but when I put the velcro on it I did them all at once.  Its no biggie, take in mind I am not a luthier I am just a hobbyist.  I think everyone has a opinion on how to do things you just have to find you own way. I posted the picture of my bridge I used a heavy duty adhesive velcro and cut it about 1/8 of a inch wide.  Laid it across right up next to piezo.

2013-04-19+at+19-53-06.jpg

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your query.   It seems to be noticable on clean tones with or without effects (but worse with delays)  and with an AC30 Preamp emulation going into my DT25.   It is especially noticable when you slide from one note to another as opposed to just lifting your fingers off of one fret and moving to another.

Oh by the way I was gonna ask have you tried just running the HD500 with headphones with out the DT25 seeing if its maybe the DT25..

@katiekerry

Everybody may change his strings by his favour, no problem. I was just smiling about the statment, that removing all strings could do any harm to the neck (and it was not your statement!).

But anyway I'm playing among other guitars a JTV-69. Due to the trem bridge it is a good way changing strings one by another. It will keep the tension on the bridge and tuning will become much easier. 

But I clean my fretboard and give a little bit of fretboard oil to maintain on the fretboard so I remove all strings first.

For the JTV-59 I don't see any benefit it changing the string one by one. But as written, it is a question of favour.

@katiekerry

Everybody may change his strings by his favour, no problem. I was just smiling about the statment, that removing all strings could do any harm to the neck (and it was not your statement!).

But anyway I'm playing among other guitars a JTV-69. Due to the trem bridge it is a good way changing strings one by another. It will keep the tension on the bridge and tuning will become much easier. 

But I clean my fretboard and give a little bit of fretboard oil to maintain on the fretboard so I remove all strings first.

For the JTV-59 I don't see any benefit it changing the string one by one. But as written, it is a question of favour.

Yeah back in the nineties I had a  few floyd rose guitars that were floating.  talk about a pain to change strings, I think that's where I started one at a time.  But yeah I get your drift about the neck damage, But in his defense when you get your info from others who knows what they will tell you.  I have heard some crazy stuff in all my years.  And the sad part is allot of it comes from articles from our Idols.  I think I read once that Eddie Van Halen told a reporter that He would boil his strings in milk or some crazy thing like that..   For instance some people probable think I am an idiot for the things I say.  But enough gab for now

I have the same issue with my 69. I really don't think it has anything to do with sympathetic vibrations, since I hear the same thing when recording direct with headphones on.

The low strings just don't ring clearly when using alt tunings.   

One of the biggest differences is the amount of cross talk is cut down ( arpeggios are much clearer and precise) when you hop between say the 6th string and the 3 string it doesn't vibrate to the other open strings.  So when your running the modeling or alt tuning there is less artifacts to process..  Also when you palm mute it sounds allot better for some reason.    But everyone has their beliefs or theories.  I would try it, worst case scenario you have to change strings again.  I would just run a thin strip ( I did about a 1/8 of a inch wide) right behind the Piezo pickups. 

I wonder if the problem is caused more by the pickup being "loose" in its pocket than by the free portion of the string vibrating?  In looking at some of the solutions, it seems like the foam is actually pressed up against the rear face of the transducer.

Another point that's always bothered me about the piezo elements is that the treble strings are free to "float" back and forth in a rather wide, curved area.  That's not at all what a properly dressed conventional bridge piece would look like.  On even mild bends, I can watch the string walk back and forth.   At a minimum that's not good for sustain.

• 2 weeks later...

"you had mentioned the lester model when this happens, Does it happen with all models or just the lester.  If its kinda a high pitch gliss type of sound You could change the impedance settings on the HD500 to lower the top end a little. ( you have to use the guitar input though not VDI cable) I have noticed a change in the highs when I mess with the impedance setting.  it says in the manual the lower the settings act as a attenuater for high frequencies. it may help reduce it possibly.  I really wish I could hear it though that would help allot.  is it the same sound as in this video.."

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.   I have changed the impedance and it didn't seem to matter.   I have also taken the DT25 out of the equation with no change.   The only thing that improves the problem is changing the input from Variax to Variax Mags.  That seems to clear it up alot but then means I can't use any of the models and alternate tunings/capo etc.     I am not equipped to record the sounds it makes but will try to do something soon.  It seems to mainly be noticable when you do a slide from one fret to another on the E string (next to the B string).

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.   I have changed the impedance and it didn't seem to matter.   I have also taken the DT25 out of the equation with no change.   The only thing that improves the problem is changing the input from Variax to Variax Mags.  That seems to clear it up alot but then means I can't use any of the models and alternate tunings/capo etc.     I am not equipped to record the sounds it makes but will try to do something soon.  It seems to mainly be noticable when you do a slide from one fret to another on the E string (next to the B string).

seems to me like it could be a problem with the piezo. The best thing would be to give it to a service center, specially if you still under warranty.

I had the same problem when an update to 1.9 firmware resulted in a green light on my Model Sector knob. Here's what I discovered:

My magnetic pickups were ALWAYS ON.

So, when using alternative tunings in modelling mode, the mag pickups were adding THEIR sound to the mix, and totally screwing everything up.

The fix (for me):

Reinstall firmware 1.7, and then update to 1.9.