Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V and DAW

Spidermanuel

Hi guys,

I've a Spider V 240 mkii and a Presonus 26C as DAW with Cubase 10. The DAW has 2 XLR input.

What is the best way to record my guitar?

I've tried to connect directly my guitar to the DAW and post processing the sound with some plug in but the results are not so god.

I want try to connect the direct outs of the spider to the DAW. How must be set the ground/lift switch? (I can disable the phantom power on the DAW).

It is better to connect directly the Spider to the DAW or it is better to connect the Spider to a Mixer in order to set level, eq, and then to the DAW?

Thank you for the answers.

Manuel

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2019 at 10:51 AM, Spidermanuel said:

Hi guys,

I've a Spider V 240 mkii and a Presonus 26C as DAW with Cubase 10. The DAW has 2 XLR input.

What is the best way to record my guitar?

I've tried to connect directly my guitar to the DAW and post processing the sound with some plug in but the results are not so god.

I want try to connect the direct outs of the spider to the DAW. How must be set the ground/lift switch? (I can disable the phantom power on the DAW).

It is better to connect directly the Spider to the DAW or it is better to connect the Spider to a Mixer in order to set level, eq, and then to the DAW?

Thank you for the answers.

Manuel

Good Q. I don't think there is a right answer. That's the magic - making the rig work. Im experimenting with it right now too. Funny (strange not amusing) thing I discovered today - the tone I worked so hard to sculp yesterday which sounds so amazing coming out of my speaker (of my Spider V FRFR 30) sounded like utter crap in my headphones. So i downloaded a bunch of tones from Customtone and found some really good ones (Ride The Lightning tone is awesome in my phones). Anyway you choose, you'll have to eq it out. Best practice tho most experienced performer will tell you is do it both ways. Run a direct line in one channel and mike the amp into another. Then you can choose or blend as u c fit. Blending is a real good idea. 

The simplest and most direct way to record your Spider V would be to connect it to via USB to your computer and use Spider V as your interface. You may need to download the Spider V driver depending on your computer, but once Spider V is connected via USB simply select Spider V as the input and output in your DAW's audio settings.