Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V: Best User Settings?

deadastronaut

Hey all, new to the forum & to Line 6 apart from the original POD.  I've had a Spider V 60-watt combo for a couple weeks now & have been immensely impressed with its modeling capability, especially after you get a lot of the presets out of the way and start digging down into the amps, effects, etc. 

I've done about 70 patches, starting with my ideally EQ'd versions of amp presets that were already available (god, there are some gorgeous sounds to be gotten out of the Bogners, the Diezels, and the Mesas – the Triple Rectifier especially can be tweaked to sound very different than the Dual), then doing players whose rigs I knew how to assemble, and now I'm in the realm of what you might call "combinatory synthesis," where I'm trying to match heads, cabs, FX, etc., to come up with results that ably model something not available among the presets. 

(Oh, the Shawn Lane Modeling Conundrum.  Right now, I've got 3 tones for Shawn, and since I won't be locating any Holmes Bluesmasters or Westbury ODs in the near future, I'm quite happy with my Lane/Hellborg/Sipe-era tone, which is a Triple Recto EQ'd for very low bass and treble, very high gain and mids, then sent thru the Line 6 4x10 cab – Shawn preferred 10" speakers, for whatever reason – and 2 digital delays, one around 305 Hz and one at, I think, 845 Hz.  Feel free to steal and modify; it also sounded good with a Bogner Ecstasy/"Bomber X-TC," and if you want an earlier, more ’94 tone, the Peavey 5150/"Mississippi Criminal."  Extraneous question: why in the world is the 5150 called a "Mississippi Criminal"?)

So what I want to ask is, essentially, a continuation of the Shawn Lane quest: is there any thread where Spider V users can post their own best settings?  And shouldn't we start one?  I'd be happy to go first with as many of my ≈70 as you guys would like, though I favor a heavy-midrange, mid-bass, low-treble singing 'liquid lead' sound so heavily that I imagine there won't be much to interest the metal crowd.  Ideally, though, this database could build on itself & provide usable patches for everybody.

MSJ

Well, having suggested the damn thing, a few of the best sounds I've dialed in so far:

Diezel Fusion Lead

Amp: Deity Crunch (Diezel VH4, Channel 3 "Mega')

Cab: 4x12 Brit V30

Bass: 4

Middle: 7-8

Treble: 5

Gain: 7

Presence: 50%

Diezel Legato Lead

Amp: Deity Lead (Diezel VH4, Channel 4 "Lead")

Cab: 4x12 Brit V30

Bass: 6

Middle: 7

Treble: 5

Gain: 7

Presence: 50%

Shawn Lane Lead

Amp: both Diamond Tread (Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier) and Bomber X-TC (Bogner Ecstasy) have provided good results

Cab: Tread 4x12 (Mesa/Boogie) or Line 6 4x10 (Bogner)

Bass: 2-4, to taste

Middle: 8-9

Treble: 2

Gain: 8-10

Presence: 40%

Delay 1: Digital, mix 30%, speed 305 ms, feedback 39%

Delay 2: Digital, mix 25%, speed 845 ms, feedback 39%

• Like 1

I think the original idea was a downloadable bank called customtone. Seems it didn't work w the original Spider V Full Range firmware. They say now it does work with the firmware update 2.00 - but there have been some comments on this forum that suggest some issues with the upgrade. One poster suggested with the "Classic" that amp modeling disappears. Not sure if he's right, but that's a little unappealing. Another poster mentioned buzzing sound - definitely not desirable. IDK the final answer to all this - but once Line6 works it all out (if they ever do), the CUSTOMTONE share site would be an amazing asset. I'm excited about the prospect, but I'm taking a wait and see approach. Patch upgrades are notoriously buggy - I like to wait a few iterations if my stuff is running ok.

That said, your idea is a great alternative! Just sharing a text list of settings would be awesome. Frankly I'm terrible at it and totally need help - I've learned a few things from your post already. Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna try out your settings. Up until this weekend I didn't know what a triple rectifier was. Halfway through this wknd I was itchin to run out and buy the damn thing - yeah, like f buying a car, I need a top of the line amplifier. Along with an Ibanez Jem7VP.  And the helix. Or maybe the Fractal. Cuz if you walk by my bedroom, I want you to only hear the best.

But yeah, thanks again. I didn't realize there was a triple rectifier built right into this spider. I'm gonna check that out. 

On 11/14/2019 at 10:28 PM, deadastronaut said:

Ok, so a few Q's about your settings here:

I can't find the DIAMOND TREAD amp on my list (see pic). I also have no CAB options (or don't know where to find them) Are you using the 2.00 firmware (MK2)? 

Shawn Lane Lead

Amp: both Diamond Tread (Mesa/Boogie Triple Rectifier) and Bomber X-TC (Bogner Ecstasy) have provided good results

Cab: Tread 4x12 (Mesa/Boogie) or Line 6 4x10 (Bogner)

Bass: 2-4, to taste

Middle: 8-9

Treble: 2

Gain: 8-10

Presence: 40%

Delay 1: Digital, mix 30%, speed 305 ms, feedback 39%

Delay 2: Digital, mix 25%, speed 845 ms, feedback 39%

tia

shawn lane lead.jpg

Oh, OK, you're doing this through the app – I just do everything on the amplifier itself by pressing AMP and then EDIT, and the first 2 options on the menu are "Amp" and "Cab."  "Diamond Plate" is easy to find on there, and I would encourage use of the "4x12 Tread" cab with all of the MESA/Boogie presets, namely

Cali Crunch (Boogie Mark IIc+)

Treadplate Dual (MESA/Boogie Dual Rectifier, channel 3, Solo)

Diamond Plate, called "Cali Diamond Plate" on the mk II software (MESA/Boogie Triple Rectifier, channel 3, Solo – sorry I forgot the name change)

L6 Treadplate (MESA/Boogie Trem-O-Verb Dual Rectifier)

I don't know how to access the "cab" settings on the app, but I'm sure it's still in there – it's on the amp settings, and I imagine they're the same, save the interface.  This is just a guess, but on your interface, there's an icon across from the word "Amp," above the amp's EQ/drive/etc. settings, that looks like a speaker cabinet.  Maybe that'll give you a dropdown cab menu?

5 hours ago, colek98 said:

That said, your idea is a great alternative! Just sharing a text list of settings would be awesome. Frankly I'm terrible at it and totally need help - I've learned a few things from your post already. Thanks for sharing. I'm gonna try out your settings. Up until this weekend I didn't know what a triple rectifier was. Halfway through this wknd I was itchin to run out and buy the damn thing - yeah, like f buying a car, I need a top of the line amplifier. Along with an Ibanez Jem7VP.  And the helix. Or maybe the Fractal. Cuz if you walk by my bedroom, I want you to only hear the best.

Yeah, that was the idea here – I just program via the amp itself and find everything to do with downloads pretty buggy and non-intuitive, plus you can't read up on downloadable tones before you actually have to download something.  I'd like to know what it is and does on a basic level before I go through the trouble of connecting thru USB, etc.

And yeah, the Triple Rectifier is my favorite of the MESA/Boogie Recto models.  Some people will tell you that it's just a 150-watt Dual Rectifier, and the differences are subtle, but I can clearly hear more fluid, singing midrange and less chugging bass and crispy treble out of the Triple Recto, and the Line 6 models reflect that perhaps even more than the real amps do.

I forgot to mention on those Diezel/Shawn Lane settings that I also use a very mild noise gate on almost everything, usually -50dB/50% release (or whatever it's called on there).

If you lot are interested, I could post a whole list of my customized settings; what I've done in almost every case is either 1) to dig out the sound of a particular amp I really like from the effects and alterations on other settings, or 2) to imitate the sound of a particular guitarist, usually during a particular period, sometimes using his gear if I can find a list of what he played through and sometimes just synthesizing a new sound. 

I'll warn you, though, that I like liquid, rich, midrangy sounds, with thick gain, moderate bass, and pretty low treble, so except for a few special cases (gotta dime everything on the Plexi Lead 100; I'm pretty sure it's in the Bible), I don't lollipop around with a whole lot of high end.  Hopefully there'd be some worthwhile secrets nonetheless.  E.g., I think their Plexi Lead is a little too clean, but if you set everything on 10 and then turn on the "distortion" (it isn't really distortion) called Boost+EQ, you get exactly enough "push" to bring it into Hendrix/Page territory.  And you've always gotta run those MESA/Boogies through the 4x12 Tread cab; they get buzzy and anemic everywhere else, even with a Brit 4x12 Greenback 25 or V30.

I very much liked the Shawn Lane configs. I customized it to my own tastes - yeah - you're heavy on the bass. I boosted up the treble and liked the tone.

You should download the spider app for laptop - it works quite well actually. Very easy to use - just plug it in via usb and it works real nice. 

I started messing with the on amp settings to see if there was something different - yeah - a little different terminology. If you turn the effects knobs or adjust setting via the amp edit you can watch it change on the laptop app. And there are some badass hidden settings too - the purple synth ones are very interesting.

Maybe you shd share like your five or ten favorite configs to start. Then if it generates interest add more. I'd hate to see you do all that work if no one reciprocates.

OBTW, I was watching a youtube video of best metal amp shootout and the Mesas Boogie Triple Rectifier really did stand out. For 3K I guess it ought to, but yeah, real badass.  

• 2 weeks later...

One more before this thread completely dies:

As you may have gathered, I'm a huge Shawn Lane fan, and one of his most unusual sounds was the one he used when playing with Jonas Hellborg and the Vinayakram brothers near the end of his life (if you Youtube "Shawn Lane live in Paris," you'll get tons of footage).  It was totally clean, but it had the bite and sustain of a hi-gain tone, and he would also kick in what I believe were very early Line 6 delays to simulate the drones normally heard in Indian music.  

Here's my take.  Note that the settings are all amp-knob style, not o'clock, and that the gear is nothing Shawn ever played (after he got his basic sounds loaded into his Peavey Profex, he didn't seem to care what power amps/speakers/etc. he played through), I just thought it got the tone.  

Shawn Lane Indian Drone

Amp: Tweed B-Man

Cab: 4x12 Tread

Drive 2.5, Bass 7, Mid 6, Treble 6

Presence: 60%

Compressor: threshold -39 dB, 10 dB makeup gain

Delay #1: Reverse, 25% mix, 555 ms, 60% feedback

Delay #2: Tape Echo, 35% mix, 417 ms, 56% feedback

• 1 year later...

Hello, I'm new to guitar playing and the line 6 spider v 60 amp. I'm following the Fender Play online lessons and the first song is, I can't get no satisfaction by the Rolling Stones. 

Is there a setting in the 60 amp which will sound like the stones sound please?

• 2 months later...
On 1/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, TyeSooty said:

Hello, I'm new to guitar playing and the line 6 spider v 60 amp. I'm following the Fender Play online lessons and the first song is, I can't get no satisfaction by the Rolling Stones. 

Is there a setting in the 60 amp which will sound like the stones sound please?

Select the Line 6 Fuzz amp.  From another thread:

Line 6 Fuzz - Although not technically an amp, we loved the unique tonal qualities of the classic 1960’s Arbiter® Fuzz Face enough to base a special amp model on it. This fuzz box used broad frequency, transistor-based clipping. The result is a buzzing kind of distortion that has become popular again with the alternative and grunge set. Jimi Hendrix was among the guitarists to popularize the Fuzz Face in the States, but our model is considerably dirtier than the tones found on “Are You Experienced.” Try playing “Satisfaction” by the Stones, or the lead from “American Woman” by The Guess Who. Liberal use of the Bass, Mid, and Treble controls will let you go beyond the tones that the Fuzz Face could deliver, enabling you to discover your own unique recipe for those elusive fuzz tones in your head. Just a note: when recording Purple Haze, Jimi didn’t even use an amp - he just went straight from a Fuzz Face to an Orange® power amp to a 4x12 cabinet. Which is the same sort of tone you get here...