Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Pod Hd500 Patch Creation By Way Of The Amplifi App?

gsorkin

So I've got a POD HD500 and I'm pretty dense about using it. Haven't really put the time into it I should, to reap the potential. I digress.

In addition to my relative ineptness using gear, I've got a terrible ear. But I'd really like to set up a few patches that ape/steal the tone of a few, certain, probably obscure, players out there (including a bass tone). I was able to find information on their gear/rigs online, but translating them to what's available in the POD is where I get lost.

That said, my question is could you use the AMPLIFi app to pre-build the tone, then recreate it in the POD software/on the unit itself? Kinda take my guesswork out of it? I know the AMPLIFi probably has considerably more amp options than the POD, but is this feasible? This is working under the assumption that you could use the free app for research without having to pair it to the amp itself.

Thanks! I appreciate you lending me some of your know-how!

--gsorkin

not feasible at all... the amp models are all new on the HD's so they sound and react very differently than the older x series.

plus the amplifi app will not process sound.. you'd need the amplifi hardware to even audition what you had created.

I am going take a stab here and say no you can't create a "patch" on the AmpliFi and then port it over to HD500.  One reason is that the algorithms for creating the HD500 effects and amps are of a better design than the X3 which appears what the AmpliFI is using.  So there would be many amps and effects on the AmpliFI that would not be available on the HD500.

I am going take a stab here and say no you can't create a "patch" on the AmpliFi and then port it over to HD500.  One reason is that the algorithms for creating the HD500 effects and amps are of a better design than the X3 which appears what the AmpliFI is using.  So there would be many amps and effects on the AmpliFI that would not be available on the HD500.

I think I may need to clarify. I don't mean create it in the app, export it to file, import in POD HD500 Edit or Monkey and have it appear.

I mean, could the app feasibly use it's algorithm(s) to pin down it's interpretation of a tone (as demonstrated in the Anderton's video with the AC/DC grab)? It lays out an effects chain and lists the amps used (and maybe even microphone models). Presumably they're nearby to the effects/amps used in the sample it maths up and arranged in the proper order with the closest equivalent. It'd probably need some further tweaking to get even closer to the actual rig, but that's not the point. And again, I understand there'll be far more options on the AMPLIFi than on the POD, so some leaps will have to be made.

Could you then use this information (in an analog manner) and replicate it using the POD HD500 software? Like, he uses these amps, this distortion, this delay, this phaser, this etc. Maybe the amp model on the AMPLIFi says it's a JCM-900, but the closest option on the POD is a JCM-800. AMPLIFi says it's the Line 6 Distortion, so you go with that.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the capabilities, but presumably it includes the levels as well. Take all the guesswork I'm terrible at out of it. Using the derived tone chain as a guide on the POD.

plus the amplifi app will not process sound.. you'd need the amplifi hardware to even audition what you had created.

That was my other question. Would anything happen without the hardware. It's all bluetooth, so it would likely only work with paired devices (vs. an iRig input, just for the app). I'm just saying is there a way to let the app do the thinking/heavy lifting for me.

Thanks!

I don't think the amplifi unit actually listens to the artist and conceives of a preset to work. I think it searches a database of user uploads that have the key word associated. Load AC/DC and it searches for the same name....

Whether or not its a good match depends on the creator of the files it finds and on the similarity of your rig to his.

I've found that loading a youtube video of a guitar player or song and then building it from scratch in the HD Edit is pretty easy and it will get you up to speed with PodHD Edit in no time. Start with just and amp and cab.

• Upvote 1

the app would possibly show you the tone setup and give you ideas to try on your pod... just wouldnt be 100% perfect... might be a decent ballpark setting to start you with.... 

But you'd still need the hardware. Or would you just be able to view it (maybe hear a sample clip through the speakers) on the iDevice only?

I suppose you can stealthily try to do it at a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or wherever for the desperate.

yeah you wouldnt hear anything on the app... but if you can see it... you might be able to dial in the settings to your pod...

which is kind of useful since you previously couldnt view x-series tones in an "offline" manner (offline as in hardware unplugged)

But you'd still need the hardware. Or would you just be able to view it (maybe hear a sample clip through the speakers) on the iDevice only?

I suppose you can stealthily try to do it at a Guitar Center or Sam Ash or wherever for the desperate.

I believe people are mis-understanding a few things about this new amp -

- The iOS app only is a control program for creating patches for the modeling hardware built into the amp, like using HD500 Edit for a pod HD500.  On this amp it's needed since you can't do any deep editing and patch creation on the amp itself, unlike the Pod's which have a screen built in for managing the device.

- The tone matching app tries to identify the song being played back on your iOS device then searches Custome Tone for patch uploaded by other users matching the song/artist.  The app does not create a patch by listening to the recording.  I believe it displays the patches it finds in order of rating and from what I understand it's probably looking for Pod X3 patches to match the modeling hardware.

- In a very crude summary, this amp is a guitar amp and stereo "boom box" (stereo only for playing back music and backing tracks, mono as a guitar amp) with a Pod X3 built in.

If someone from Line 6 wants to correct me on the technical specs then by all means.