Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi Thoughts?

No Charlie you are right per say- the Vetta used iirc switching power supplies that HAD TRANSFORMERS IN THEM, that provide mostly the same results as a tube output transformer does for that circuit. Thats not the point here is it? Lets not fog up the issue with my calling a part incorrectly for what it is here even if it does the same thing more or less for said amp. Did the percentage of output parts fail in the Vetta line like they have in the DT Line, no matter if the switching power supply/output is the equivalent of an output transformer used in tube amps Charlie? If not why? Was their QA better back then? Were they more focused back then? What happened ?

Then tell me phil, what made all those output watts in the vetta if there wasn't some kind of a step up output device, like a solid state switching power supply/transformer/doubler/trippler for a solid state like circuit? Cold fusion perhaps? A little info just for you...

There are power transformers in solid state amps, but not standalone output transformers. They are simply built into the power amp, and so you essentially go straight from the power amp to the speakers with no output transformer. All I'm saying is that it's not an apples to apples comparison. I brought up Duoverb because with that amp, there were systematic failures with the power amps. They had gotten some bad components from a supplier. It's the same thing that happened with the output transformers in the DT50. It just happens.

With the proper testing done beforehand and QA tenacity,  I don't think it just happens Phil. For example, when we as a company starts to care more about our profits versus our quality, thats when it just happens. Thats when we quit updating what we have to make it even better, and put out iPads with speakers. But, Im cynical and opinionated about such things, believe it or not... ;)

And..., As always hind site is 20/20 and YMMV...  :)

I don't mind the inevitable obsolesence of a product because of technological advances.  That's just going to happen and should.  What I do mind is bailing on a product.   The Vetta II has bugs.  They should have been fixed before they stopped supporting it.  Or at least explain that there was no way they could be fixed.  The Variax bass was going to have Workbench compatibility.  This was in all the advertising before it came out and is in the owners manual I have.  It never happened. 

Also some backward capability.  I have a hard time  believing they can't do this for the JTV with at least the X3 if not also the Vetta and XT.  Yes I know they can work sort of but it's a pain.  If you're going to put a product out there at least support it until you have nothing left that you offer you can plug it into.  And I'm only talking being able to do with the JTV what you could with the Variax.  Ya know I buy a new version of your product and it still functions the same as the old one.  Just being able to select models from the edit programs is mainly what I'm talking about.  It must be possible or am I wrong?  I do think businesses owe it to their customers.  Just my opinion/

• Upvote 1