Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording helix into pro tools

jakebake

How do I record helix into pro tools via usb? Is this possible? I know you can use it as an interface but I want to use my existing one so I can easily switch between instruments and just have the helix as another "instrument." I cant figure out how to get it to record besides using it as the interface 

Unless Helix is your interface, you can't record through USB. You need to make an analog connection (or digital if your interface has S/PDIF) to your interface. You then connect with protools through your interface.

9 hours ago, rd2rk said:

Unless Helix is your interface, you can't record through USB. You need to make an analog connection (or digital if your interface has S/PDIF) to your interface. You then connect with protools through your interface.

Ah ok thank you. Is s/pdif any better than xlr? Also can a line 6 link cable be used as a regular xlr cable as well for connecting the helix to an audio interface? Because I only have 1 regular xlr cable so it would be nice not to have to go get another one right now for the left and right channel.

2 hours ago, jakebake said:

Ah ok thank you. Is s/pdif any better than xlr? Also can a line 6 link cable be used as a regular xlr cable as well for connecting the helix to an audio interface? Because I only have 1 regular xlr cable so it would be nice not to have to go get another one right now for the left and right channel.

S/PDIF eliminates one AD/DA conversion, thereby reducing RT latency. However, that latency is only relevant if you're playing a VST or further processing the Helix signal with VSTs. To totally eliminate the latency issue, just monitor the Helix direct while recording. As far as tone goes, I can't tell the difference between the recorded S/PDIF and an analog (XLR to interface) track. There are no doubt gods of recording who can tell the differences in a recording when the earth's magnetic field fluctuates, so YMMV.

1) Are you using a Mac? In that case, you could create an "aggregate device", combining your existing interface with the Helix or perhaps just switch the input of PT (not the output), the latter is at least possible in Logic. Both methods aren't ideal in terms of overall performance, though, but they might serve you well nonetheless.

2) In case your interface has SPDIF, I'd use that, simply because it'll transfer the Helix sound without any possible loss due to ADDA conversion. Just make sure that the sample rates are used (you can adjust that in the Helix' global settings).

Personally, I always just set the Helix as an interface in case I want to record things from it. Offers a bunch of additional options, such as parallely capturing multiple positions of the signal chain, which makes for easier re-amping.