Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Spider V Firmware 2.00 gets a buzzing sound all my tones

reyrios10

Once I upgraded my Spider V 120 to 1.05 or 2.0 all of my distortion sounds have this buzzing or almost like a blown speaker sound.  If I downgrade to 1.01 or x.03 for example, everything sounds fine, except that I don't the classic amp setting from 2.0.  So I can assume is not a blown speaker and a firmware issue.

I have tried everything I know.  Factory Reset (FR).  Downgrading to 1.01, FR, installing each firmware up until 2.0, factory resetting each time. Installing 1.05, FR, installing 2.0.  Doing the upgrade from my iPad, from my PC using Line6 Updater, from my PC using the downloaded file.  Every time I have the same outcome. 

Has anyone seen this?  Any other things I can try?

Classic mode has all of the frequencies through the primary driver vs the horn taking the high frequencies in FRFR mode.     I'd look at the face of the amp closely to see if anything may have gotten between the protective grill cloth and the driver.    If of a certain size, it may not resonate or buzz except when the driver is also taking on the high frequency range as well.

Holding a flashlight at an angle to the cloth might help to locate.   I had a similar problem after playing an outdoor event and a few pine needles had become logged into the grill cloth.   Removing those fixed the bug.

The other test is to use headphones.    If there's no buzz with the headphone, then it's driver related.    If the buzz is in the headphones, then it's DSP related.

If you don't see anything when checking with a flashlight, contact Line 6 for their warranty support.   I do not recommend attempting to remove the grill cloth, there's not a non-destructive or non-warranty voiding method to accomplish that.  https://line6.com/warranty/

Those were god suggestions.  I checked the grill and move the amp around just in case something was stucked there.  Couldn't find anything. I even used a dusting air can to cleaning between the grille and the speaker.

Then I tried it with the headphones and I can hear the "blown" sound as well.  So something is wrong with my firmware update.  Unfortunately, I don't have a warranty anymore but I might have to take to a service store to see if it would be feasible and able to be fixed.

Unless anyone else has anything other ideas?

Honestly, I think what you're hearing is just the "Classic" mode on the speaker.  It has an awful midrange cut and equally awful mega treble boost, I suppose in a failed attempt to make up for the proverbial boxiness of the 1x10" combo.  I would recommend dialing in a preset you know very well and flipping the "Speaker" control back to "Full Range" – apart from a few peripheral updates, I think this 2.00 firmware is bogus as hell, and most people probably haven't even noticed that it automatically turns your maximum volume down to 78%, as well!  You'll have to go thru all your presets turning the Volume parameter off, cause guess what: it doesn't recognize or save changes to the max volume percentage. 

Maybe it's good for the Remote app or something, but as a staunch straight-into-the-amp user, I think it's trash.  Maybe some slight updates to the amp presets – I thought my Dual and Triple Rectifiers sounded very good last night, and my Bogner Überschall (i.e., Bomber Über) was screaming through the Brit 4x12 V30 cab, but everything non-basic-sound-related is basura.

• Like 1

(Bear in mind, this is coming from someone who loves mid-boosted, thick, creamy guitar sounds and is apparently the world's only fan of the Full Range/Flat Response system, but I really think what you're hearing is the "Classic Speaker" update.  Everything with the treble above 2 becomes an unlistenable wall of static.)

• Like 1

• 11 months later...