Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

For Those Of You Who Dont Feel The Strat Sound Is Quite Right Here Is The Fix

I live my JTV-89F but have always had a problem getting a true strat sound. When I hit full chords or played lead it seemed like everything on the GB and E strings didnt cut through. Well my friends I have finally found the fix that makes it ring and bite like a true strat.

step 1: Go into your workbench HD and at the bottom of the screen change the preset volume from 0 to 5 on each of the 5 position strat models.

step 2: Click on the strings tab

step 3: notice all the individual string volumes are set to 100 

bridge , 2nd, and middle positions change the first three numbers to 60  so it will be 60 60 60 100 100 100

4th position it needs to be 50 60 60 100 100 100

neck position 40 60 60 100 100 100

AI dont know why they were set at all 100 like that from that factory but I have tried this on several amps at flat eq and your chords and leads now are full and match.

• Upvote 2

I live my JTV-89F but have always had a problem getting a true strat sound. When I hit full chords or played lead it seemed like everything on the GB and E strings didnt cut through. Well my friends I have finally found the fix that makes it ring and bite like a true strat.

step 1: Go into your workbench HD and at the bottom of the screen change the preset volume from 0 to 5 on each of the 5 position strat models.

step 2: Click on the strings tab

step 3: notice all the individual string volumes are set to 100 

bridge , 2nd, and middle positions change the first three numbers to 60  so it will be 60 60 60 100 100 100

4th position it needs to be 50 60 60 100 100 100

neck position 40 60 60 100 100 100

AI dont know why they were set at all 100 like that from that factory but I have tried this on several amps at flat eq and your chords and leads now are full and match.

Thanks heaps for that one. I've got a 69 since about a month, and was rather disappointed with the strat sounds, especially since they are crucial for many a thing I play. Looks like this is the remedy. Fine work, and thanks again for sharing.

If I recall older discussions, saving new patches to the 2nd switch position kills the correct pickup arrangement.  How do you get that back?

There was a bunch of advice on this back in August, but unfortunately none of it made enough sense to me to make me risk playing with the strat sound.  I'm sure it was all well-intended, but there always seemed to be something glossed over or a step missing.

There is an easy work around for the Workbench strat position 2 and 4 bug.  It's been posted since August.  You just have to swap pickups around in WB.  No big deal.  Once you do that the strat works correctly.  I do wish they would fix that bug along with releasing drivers that mate WB to HD500.  I leave my laptop connected to my HD50x and it would be very handy if I could run WB with that setup.

There is an easy work around for the Workbench strat position 2 and 4 bug.  It's been posted since August.  You just have to swap pickups around in WB.  No big deal.  Once you do that the strat works correctly.  I do wish they would fix that bug along with releasing drivers that mate WB to HD500.  I leave my laptop connected to my HD50x and it would be very handy if I could run WB with that setup.

When you say "swap the pickups around", what do you mean exactly? I havent experimented with workbench all that much yet...

Go and read the posts on this.  It's clearly spelled out in several places.

For some definition of "clearly", I guess.  I tried following it and the procedure simply made no sense and did not correct anything <shrug>.  The details are a bit fuzzy four months out, but I think I had problems with the wrong pickup being active after swapping them.

Thankyou!  That's the first complete explanation I've seen.  It addresses the issue I recall having where it wasn't clear what was supposed to be on or off after rearranging the pickups.

Looks like it's been up for a while, but I must have missed it.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Through a little trial and error, I stumbled onto an easier way to "fix" the Spank 2 sound issue. I found the explanation on the page below a bit confusing. I simply dragged and dropped the neck pickup onto the center pickup position. This puts the neck and center pickups together in one location. Then turn on the bridge and center pickups, adjust tone as you like, and upload to the guitar. Hope this helps anyone who's been fighting to get their "Sweet Home Alabama"/"Sultans Of Swing" sound accurate.

Known Issue: Bridge+Middle Pickup Setups in Workbench HD

• Upvote 2