Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Synth Help Please

mdecola1

I have never played with the oscillators on the Helix (oscillators would be required).... but unless I am missing something they are fixed notes trigged by footswitch, not by the notes on the guitar. That would make this very difficult. 

That would seem like an odd implementation... I need to look into this further to see if I am missing something. 

The oscillators do require to be assigned to the foot switches to change the pitch of the notes.  A more practical approach might be with the Legacy effects under the Pitch/Synth section.  You can use those by plucking the strings on your guitar.  I'm not much of a synth guy myself but the lead part in that song sounds like either a saw tooth or square wave.  I'm not too familiar with all the synth blocks, so unfortunately this is all the information I'm able to offer.  Hopefully this gets you pointed in the right direction.

3 minutes ago, lungho said:

A more practical approach might be with the Legacy effects under the Pitch/Synth section.  You can use those by plucking the strings on your guitar. 

I did find a 3 oscillator synth in the STEREO section as well that could be tracked by the guitar, but it is bizarre to say the least. There appears to always be lingering overtones... octave jumps, and notes that follow even after you stop playing. Even when I break it down to just one oscillator I can't get it to behave. I know my way around synths, but I've never encountered anything like that before. It doesn't do anything I am expecting it to do. 

This could all be user error at this time... I just don't have the time to play with it right now. 

Hi,  Here is the patch I created for this song.  They keyboard sound is pretty close.  The rest of the patch is done the "Jason Sadites" way.  You didn't mention if you were 2.82 or not, so I attached my 2.71 version.  NOTE: its using a 3 Sigma Audio IR (one of the Marshall cabinets 3A versions).  But you could just change that a stock cab.   Give this a shot.

06B Just Needed.hlx

13 hours ago, codamedia said:

I did find a 3 oscillator synth in the STEREO section as well that could be tracked by the guitar, but it is bizarre to say the least. There appears to always be lingering overtones... octave jumps, and notes that follow even after you stop playing. Even when I break it down to just one oscillator I can't get it to behave. I know my way around synths, but I've never encountered anything like that before. It doesn't do anything I am expecting it to do. 

This could all be user error at this time... I just don't have the time to play with it right now. 

I posted some tips in a topic around about this a good while back. If I find it I will post the link. There are some settings that help it work better. I don't ever use the synth but I remember when I first started playing around with it one thing that surprised me was that it seemed to track a lot better when placed after my cab block than at the beginning of the signal chain, YMMV. Generally I place things, e.g. an envelope filter, that need to track tightly with the guitar in my first couple of blocks but did not find that to be the case with the synth. Overall, it could be a lot easier to use and I would love to see one added with some dirt simple parameter settings like strings, harmonica, flute, percussion, etc.. Oh, and polyphonic too :-)

• Like 1