Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Headrush FRFR-108 questions

ledvedder5150

Received a Headrush FRFR-108 today. This is my first FRFR, after researching a bunch. Wow it's very bassy! I've gone through all the factory patches, just to make sure it wasn't any particular patches. Every one is very bassy. Does this mean I have to dial back the bass on every preset? Or could there be something else that I'm missing? 

If it's laying on the floor in monitor position, put it on a short speaker stand.

No floor coupling, better tweeter dispersion.

Make sure the 108's contour switch is off.

If neither of those works, use the Global EQ.

You didn't say what device you are connecting to the 108. Easiest thing to do if every preset is bassy is to use the global EQ if you got one. Also, modify the factory presets to your own specs or better yet create your own. You may find that putting in an EQ block cutting the lows at about 70-120hz in each preset is better than cranking down the bass on the amp models.

Note: Looks like rd2rk is the fastest poster in the West. Sorry for the redundancy, posted about two seconds after.

Any FRFR Will need both bass and treble cuts. 

Typically 100Hz and 5.5KHz. You can do it in the speaker or IR - that's why they have cuts. 

Also you can do it globally with Global EQ. 

I prefer Global. It means all patches start in the ballpark. 

Many disagree, and if you want to be absolutely correct, they are right, but I get great results very quickly doing it globally. 

Up to you, but FRFR needs cuts!

This is a fairly common complaint on the Headrush if it's placed on the floor due to bass coupling.  Some of the better quality FRFR's such as those from QSC, Yamaha, or EV have specific contouring options to correct for this effect.  You want to be careful correcting EQ in the Helix for a speaker that's getting bass coupling as your FOH won't have the same type of effect happening to it.  Therefore if you correct for your stage speaker your lower frequencies may be missing at the FOH.

Personally I set my speaker on a half height pole behind me in the backline as that will be the closest representation for what you're likely to get out of the FOH.  It also gives you the benefit of the widest sound radius as all of these types of speakers have the widest radius in the upright position.

1 hour ago, ledvedder5150 said:

I'm wondering if I should have gone with the "cab" options I was researching (Powercab or Laney LFR)? Or perhaps one of the other options (QSC or Yamaha)? 

That would be going the wrong way if you're trying to get a representation of what the PA will sound like.  Guaranteed they won't sound like a cabinet.

The fact is you can get a decent representation out of your FRFR-108 if you adhere to some basics:

When dialing in your patches mount them in the same way as a PA would, in the vertical position typically on a pole and keep your distance from them as you play to avoid the harshness of the horn up close.  Typically 5 or 6 feet is enough.  Wander about the space to get a feel for what people are generally hearing based on their position in the audience and you should be fine.  If you're not going to be playing through a PA, place the speaker behind you in the backline on a half height pole and you'll get the same effect for the audience that you would were you going through a PA.  Quite honestly, I NEVER use my stage speaker as a floor monitor.  It's always placed behind me in the backline and it works better for me as well as the rest of the band.

4 hours ago, ledvedder5150 said:

I'm wondering if I should have gone with the "cab" options I was researching (Powercab or Laney LFR)? Or perhaps one of the other options (QSC or Yamaha)? 

You are the only user I've seen with this excessive boominess problem. Did you get it off the floor and vertical as suggested? Are you coming into it directly from the Helix, as opposed to some sort of emulated speaker out from a guitar amp? Have you checked to see if the tweeter is working? I have a FRFR112, on a stand, and it's not boomy at all. I can make it boomy playing bass through it, but even then I have to go out of my way to ADD bass frequencies. And that's with a P-bass!

16 hours ago, ledvedder5150 said:

Thanks guys! I have it standing vertical on the floor. Most of the presets already have a cab cut at 80Hz. I'll give your tips a try. 

From this description it sounds like you have it standing vertically on the floor without a speaker stand. Depending on your listening position this could result in the highs just projecting into your legs.  Maybe a stand is ideal but I use my 108 primarily for practicing or small friendly jams not performing.  At home  on a carpeted floor in the kicked back position so it faces my head it sounds great without excessive bass coupling or boominess.  Try moving it around or throwing an old welcome mat under it. Maybe a different room. No reason it shouldn't sound at least decent if not ideal without pole mounting. You can always do that if you decide to gig with it.

2 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

What's the contour switch on the Headrush set to? It should be out, hence flat.

It's out. I think I'm going to return it and get a Powercab. I didn't want to ha e to justify the cost of a Powercab. I'm still having a hard time justifying $600-$800 for a 112 cab. But it's essentially what I want for the Helix. 

29 minutes ago, ledvedder5150 said:

It's out. I think I'm going to return it and get a Powercab. I didn't want to ha e to justify the cost of a Powercab. I'm still having a hard time justifying $600-$800 for a 112 cab. But it's essentially what I want for the Helix. 

Hm. I'm using an Alto TS310 - which has a *lot* of similarities with the Headrush. On paper, it should even push some more low end due to the bigger speaker - and yet I have never been running into excessive boom or whatever. It's also that patches I'm creating through headphones (usually Sennheiser HD25, at least for any final checks) translate pretty well, even if the headphones aren't particularly bass heavy.

I'm not saying it's very likely, but could it be that something is just wrong with your Headrush? How does it sound when you play some music through it?

5 hours ago, ledvedder5150 said:

do you have a 112 or 212 cab? I have a 212 blackstar and a seymoure duncan power stage 170 it sound good and I also have a headrush 112 not really bassy I got it on a stand I never had it on the floor I had it on a step stool never touching the floor that is wher you might all theh bass coming from.I alos dont let the non frfr 212 blackstar cab stop me from using cab models its sound fine to me just some tweaking and I just go with what sound good not what something should really sound like.

2 hours ago, cgar18 said:

do you have a 112 or 212 cab? I have a 212 blackstar and a seymoure duncan power stage 170 it sound good and I also have a headrush 112 not really bassy I got it on a stand I never had it on the floor I had it on a step stool never touching the floor that is wher you might all theh bass coming from.I alos dont let the non frfr 212 blackstar cab stop me from using cab models its sound fine to me just some tweaking and I just go with what sound good not what something should really sound like.

I have 112, 212, and 412 guitar cabs. What I don't have is a power amp. But, I'm trying to slim down my gigging/rehearsal rig down to simply the Helix and speakers of some type. All that being said, I'll never fully part with my amps and cabs.