Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix 2.9 Update

BAmartin

Oh yeah! TONS more. And all of them will go to 11! There's even some that will require the new PowerCab ++ Titanium product. If you use these amps without the new cab you'll blow the speaker instantly. At least that's what I've heard on the interwebs. Can't remember exactly where at the moment.....

2 minutes ago, kylotan said:

Sorry to be the opposite data point, but my usage is entirely bug free and very usable... I just want some new models for metal musicians to counterbalance the 20 or so Marshall clones in there. :)

There's certain reproduceable bugs. Just because you're not running into them doesn't mean they're not there. And fwiw, I think there's a pretty high percentage of high gain amps.

4 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

There's certain reproduceable bugs. Just because you're not running into them doesn't mean they're not there.

Very true. I hope they get fixed.

4 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

And fwiw, I think there's a pretty high percentage of high gain amps. 

Provably false, unless your definition of 'high gain' is broad enough to be largely meaningless.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, kylotan said:

Sorry to be the opposite data point, but my usage is entirely bug free and very usable... I just want some new models for metal musicians to counterbalance the 20 or so Marshall clones in there. :)

Of course we all want bugs to be addressed. However, I too would like more non-Marshall flavors of high gain. Along with some more HX reverbs. That is what I would like out of the next couple FW updates. If not with 2.9. Then hopefully with 3.0.

35 minutes ago, kylotan said:

Provably false, unless your definition of 'high gain' is broad enough to be largely meaningless.

I think 13 out of 67 amps (some of the none highgain ones often just representing differently jumpered channels) is quite a decent percentage.

59 minutes ago, SaschaFranck said:

I think 13 out of 67 amps (some of the none highgain ones often just representing differently jumpered channels) is quite a decent percentage.

Well. 6 of those 13 are Mesa Boogie. Of the rest, several are 'Line 6 Originals' ported from the HD range, leaving a small handful of real choices. But the Fender and Marshall variations just keep on coming!

I've said it before on this forum, but if you look at the worldwide metal scene there are a ton of popular amp models that are just not represented here: Engl Powerball, Engl E530, Engl Savage, Diezel VH4, Diezel Herbert, Orange Rockerverb, Orange Thunderverb, Laney Ironheart, Peavey Invective, etc. I mean, the Diezel VH4 is so versatile that the Axe FX 2 has 6 different models of it. But nothing from Line 6 for the Helix.

It's kind of the same story with distortion pedals. The HM-2 is such a distinctive pedal that entire sub-genres are based around it - but it's not in the Helix. The Metal Zone was another distinctive unit, which is only available as a 'legacy' model. But if you want fuzz, hey, there are about ten of them to choose from.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, kylotan said:

I've said it before on this forum, but if you look at the worldwide metal scene there are a ton of popular amp models that are just not represented here: Engl Powerball, Engl E530, Engl Savage, Diezel VH4, Diezel Herbert, Orange Rockerverb, Orange Thunderverb, Laney Ironheart, Peavey Invective, etc. I mean, the Diezel VH4 is so versatile that the Axe FX 2 has 6 different models of it. But nothing from Line 6 for the Helix.

If you look at the worldwide metal community you will notice Kemper / Axe / Helix imo.

When you trace back to the root of these high gain amps, you'll find they are all born essentially from one of two....a Marshall or a Fender imo.   

all these high gain amps are essentially modded versions of one of the two at the base core.     

its pretty clear to me, the majority of the users are not high gainers, or that would dominate the releases consistently. seems simple. 

I like the diversity the Helix has to offer, I can find an amp model to cover almost anything.  I mean its just saturated white noise and an eq in the end.    

For marketing reasons I agree the absence of a Diezel product is odd, but I also think those are difficult to model component to component considering the internals are vast compared to other models. that's what I understand of the schematics of Diezels.  

I'm still giving blood, keeping the faith.   

Introducing Helix 2.0.....now with double the memory capacity, 10x more amp models than the original....reverbs and delays so real that you'll sell your Strymons... polyphonic pitch shifting....and support for every distro of Linux known to man. Price $5,000.

Be careful what you wish for........

There are a bunch of amps that were modeled during the Vetta/Pod XT era that haven't been modeled. If Line 6 still has them lying around somewhere, I'd love to see the Deizel's they had and the Budda Twin. The Budda used to be my go to crunch amp. So are they still laying around the offices somewhere?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, if anyone needs all these amps, there's better modelers around. Pretty easy.

Some of us would like these amps to use in our Helix platform. It's the only platform that has a VST (native) that you can use presets interchangeably with the hardware. I actually use Native for my final recorded ReAmped tones, my Helix rack is my audio interface, and wet monitoring unit.

I would rather save getting a Fractal FM3 to use in conjunction with my Helix setup until AFTER Line 6 stops updating the FW in Helix. That is the back up plan if the Helix updates stop, and I still want more models.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

Well, if anyone needs all these amps, there's better modelers around. Pretty easy.

That's a pretty sanctimonious thing to say. It's decidedly NOT easy if I already have a Helix. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the thinking that you don't get a modeler based on whatever updates and new amps you THINK will be offered throughout the lifetime of the product. You get it based on whatever it has at that moment. You can't count on anything else. But, obviously, these people posting here already have a Helix and I'm assuming don't have a money tree growing in their backyard. I know I don't. Or maybe they have a Variax so are kind of tied into Line 6 modelers if they want to use it to it's fullest potential. So if they have a Helix and want a certain amp, There's nothing wrong with stating that here, on the HELIX forum. One of the few places it is appropriate to state such desires. There are a couple of amps that Line 6 has modeled before that if they still have them, would be really nice to have. Personally, I'm good with what amps are there but it doesn't make me feel like all these other people are wrong for stating what they want. Especially in the one place it's entirely appropriate to do so, I mean, using your theory, if all these posts about what amps people want bothers you, then go to a different thread or forum. There's better ones around. Pretty easy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, brue58ski said:

That's a pretty sanctimonious thing to say. It's decidedly NOT easy if I already have a Helix.

Yeah well, my comment was a bit quick-handed or so.

Yet, there's such an amount of flexibility when it comes to amps delivered with the Helix that I could hardly think of much sounds that you couldn't already realize in one way or the other.

Ok, admittedly, I'm as well having a sort of an issue with people asking for more and more of the same stuff over and over again (the amp requests on Ideascale are about endless). Personally, I think it'd be much more interesting to have some more wicked options available - and amps are, well, defenitely required but completely boring, so I'm not getting excited about them at all.

Anyway, it's all fine if people are asking for amps. It's just super boring in my book.

2 hours ago, brue58ski said:

But, obviously, these people posting here already have a Helix and I'm assuming don't have a money tree growing in their backyard. I know I don't.

Just thinking out loud here- You only live once, is a great saying. And, you don't need money growing in your back yard (or outta yer ARCH) to have a Helix, and another nice modeler. You just have to want one and get out of the punishment jeans society has put us all in. Today there are ZERO percent 12 and 18 month payment options and if you want one bad enough and don't want to pay it out like the example above, just save up for 6 months or so and pay for it. Im not saying to buy more than you can afford but Jesus, it's not like buying a new car. You're not being selfish to have more than one modeler my friends and it's not a sin to enjoy life and kids/life at the same time. And, more options and tones available are where it's at for me. And finally, cant take it with you- not that this is what you were saying brue. Heh- I remember My buddy had a term for people who think that they are going to take that $$ with them. He said- "they are so tight that every time they let gas they have a nose bleed". ; ) Not picking on Brue and not pointed at anyone, just saying- and as always YMMV and thats ok too. ; )

33 minutes ago, spikey said:

Just thinking out loud here- You only live once, is a great saying. And, you don't need money growing in your back yard (or outta yer ARCH) to have a Helix, and another nice modeler. You just have to want one and get out of the punishment jeans society has put us all in. Today there are ZERO percent 12 and 18 month payment options and if you want one bad enough and don't want to pay it out like the example above, just save up for 6 months or so and pay for it. Im not saying to buy more than you can afford but Jesus, it's not like buying a new car. You're not being selfish to have more than one modeler my friends and it's not a sin to enjoy life and kids/life at the same time. My buddy had a term for people who think that they are going to take that $$ with them. He said- "they are so tight that every time they let gas they have a nose bleed". ; ) No offense pointed at anyone, and YMMV. ; )

I agree with what you say in regard to you only live once. I know how to save and I am aware of all of the payment options. Those are obvious. I have even used them. But the comment was in regard to getting another one just for a couple of amps. I certainly am aware that you can't take it with you. If there's one thing about me, I don't plan on taking any $$ with me and don't make enough for that to happen. When I go, I'll pretty much be tapped out. Due in some part to my music related purchases. And I have even used such thinking to justify a recent purchase (I'm getting old, on the downhill slope so to speak). But I hate making relatively large purchases for small returns. So getting a whole new modeler for a few amps that may actually wind up in the Helix anyway, is somewhere I won't go and I'm guessing true for many others. Besides, the comment just seemed a bit flippant. If that's the solution for this, then that would work for everything. Like saying if you don't like your wife, just divorce her, there's plenty more. Of course things aren't as simple or easy as that. A bit of an extreme example, but it's the same logic and just as flippant IMO. I am also just thinking out loud here as well. Don't have my feathers in a ruffle or anything like that. Not really that important. I suppose part of it is I'm basically in a position right now where I'm wasting time waiting. That often leads to too much thinking. Which I probably did in this case. Carry on.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Heavyville said:

When you trace back to the root of these high gain amps, you'll find they are all born essentially from one of two....a Marshall or a Fender imo.   

all these high gain amps are essentially modded versions of one of the two at the base core. 

So... should we perhaps just have a single Marshall and a single Fender model? Rather than about 10 of each? :)

Even though I almost never touch those amps, I can appreciate that - to aficionados - each of them and the different channels have distinctive sounds which are non-trivial to reproduce with EQ, boost pedals, etc. So they're modelled separately.

And so it extends to high gain, in an ideal world. Someone could claim that an Engl Powerball is the great-great-great-grandson of a Marshall amp. But you can certainly hear the difference. So it would be good to have it in the box.

22 hours ago, Heavyville said:

its pretty clear to me, the majority of the users are not high gainers, or that would dominate the releases consistently. seems simple. 

I like the diversity the Helix has to offer, I can find an amp model to cover almost anything.  I mean its just saturated white noise and an eq in the end.    

Sure - and the problem is that if you start off with a poor range of high gain amps (like L6 did in 2015 or whenever the Helix was released), you lose those customers (to Kemper, Fractal, etc). And then that just leaves a few people here to ask that L6 try to turn it around. If nothing else, I don't want to ever see someone there say "we checked the forums, and none of our customers were asking for high gain". Best to be heard, even if it's a minority voice.

I could go out and buy an Axe-FX III - but I'd rather stick with my Helix. We'll see what happens!

A teaser comment was made that we will be blown away when 3.0 comes out. It would not surprise me if we never see 2.9 and sometime next spring it jumps right to 3.0.  There might be a few more 2.8.x bug updates if needed. I could be totally wrong. As others have said these threads are totally useless. They Line 6 guys have stated many times over that they will NEVER say what will be in a future update. Once or twice they have posted the next release info and then had to pull it making it look like they told us early. They have said it so many times they will no longer even comment in a thread like this.. Just do a search (I know search sucks on this forum). You may need to go back a couple years.. Lol. 

The global blocks idea is great.  I’ve always wondered why there isn’t at least the option to save specific block settings.  

As i perform more with the stomp, I keep wishing for a way to wipe all the presets and just store individual block settings and assemble them for each tune.  

If i’m building a patch and I think...”what were the settings I used for that song I played two weeks ago?”  It’s cumbersome to duplicate settings for, say, an amp/cab block with so many parameters.

I’d be cool even if it was only available in Hx Edit and not in the unit itself.  

Oh.... and some duo fx blocks.  Delay/reverb on one block or trem/reverb on another would be really helpful.

Sean Meredith-Jones

www.seanmeredithjones.com

11 hours ago, Smj7 said:

The global blocks idea is great.  I’ve always wondered why there isn’t at least the option to save specific block settings.  

As i perform more with the stomp, I keep wishing for a way to wipe all the presets and just store individual block settings and assemble them for each tune.  

If i’m building a patch and I think...”what were the settings I used for that song I played two weeks ago?”  It’s cumbersome to duplicate settings for, say, an amp/cab block with so many parameters.

I’d be cool even if it was only available in Hx Edit and not in the unit itself.  

Oh.... and some duo fx blocks.  Delay/reverb on one block or trem/reverb on another would be really helpful.

Sean Meredith-Jones

It's been mentioned before but worth repeating......

You can create presets that are not designed to be a good sound in themselves but serve only as a repository for your custom block settings. The empty preset slots in the Templates setlist is a good place for these. Then when designing a new preset you can copy/paste these blocks rather than add a new block with its default settings.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, silverhead said:

You can create presets that are not designed to be a good sound in themselves but serve only as a repository for your custom block settings. The empty preset slots in the Templates setlist is a good place for these. Then when designing a new preset you can copy/paste these blocks rather than add a new block with its default settings.

Sure, but that is a *lot* more time consuming than having dedicated presets per block.

Sure - fwiw, I'm using Helix Native as my "block bunker". Way easier to drag between instances, plus, you can just stack two instances serially, first one for the basics, second one for FX which you can then drag into the first instance to consolidate a patch. Allows for easier previewing, too.

• Upvote 1

On 12/6/2019 at 8:32 AM, silverhead said:

I’ve been doing that but I just want certain blocks at a time.  Heck even the ability to overwrite the default settings of each block would be more helpful.

Sean Meredith-Jones

• Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 2:53 PM, brue58ski said:

There are a bunch of amps that were modeled during the Vetta/Pod XT era that haven't been modeled. If Line 6 still has them lying around somewhere, I'd love to see the Deizel's they had and the Budda Twin. The Budda used to be my go to crunch amp. So are they still laying around the offices somewhere?

Just so you know, they DON'T have those X3-era amps lying around. I asked the same question quite awhile ago. Digital Igloo stated a lot of those were on loan. They've already modeled a lot of the stuff in the Line 6 collection that they actually own. 

Anyway, they're clearly busy with....stuff. I'd wait until NAMM or so, and you might be surprised at how much comes to light. It's just four weeks away....

2 hours ago, mikah912 said:

Just so you know, they DON'T have those X3-era amps lying around. I asked the same question quite awhile ago. Digital Igloo stated a lot of those were on loan. They've already modeled a lot of the stuff in the Line 6 collection that they actually own. 

Anyway, they're clearly busy with....stuff. I'd wait until NAMM or so, and you might be surprised at how much comes to light. It's just four weeks away....

Ratts!! Oh well. Still really happy with what I have and looking forward to what may come.

13 hours ago, brue58ski said:

FYI and FWIW. It's been stated on The Gear Page that the update won't happen this year. So people can stop holding their breath until after December.

Just to double up on this comment, here is a quote from DI on that Gear Page thread.

When asked if we might see the 2.90 release over the upcoming holidays, he replied.

Even though 2.90 is 80-90% finished, no. Bigger fish to fry and we're a tiny team.“

Mmm... Eric being as intriguing as ever! 

Any ideas as to what the “bigger fish” that are about to be fried might be?

Smells fishy!

3 hours ago, datacommando said:

Just to double up on this comment, here is a quote from DI on that Gear Page thread.

When asked if we might see the 2.90 release over the upcoming holidays, he replied.

Even though 2.90 is 80-90% finished, no. Bigger fish to fry and we're a tiny team.“

Mmm... Eric being as intriguing as ever! 

Any ideas as to what the “bigger fish” that are about to be fried might be?

Smells fishy!

I've gotten several Varaix survey's in the past year asking my opinion about what a Varaix should have, etc. A new Varaiax? That is a big assumption on my part.

3 hours ago, brue58ski said:

I've gotten several Varaix survey's in the past year asking my opinion about what a Varaix should have, etc. A new Varaiax? That is a big assumption on my part.

Same here, but further into that TGP thread someone speculated on something Variax related being made ready for NAMM, but DI said Variax development wasn't really his department.

Not sure if that counts as "no comment"?

1 hour ago, datacommando said:

Same here, but further into that TGP thread someone speculated on something Variax related being made ready for NAMM, but DI said Variax development wasn't really his department.

Not sure if that counts as "no comment"?

It may not be his department but I bet heknows something

• Upvote 1

On 11/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, bryanblackburn said:

I think we can all assume that certain things will be there in the next update and bug fixes maybe more important to me than anything since my edit software cannot see the LT in my main computer on win 8. I am going to be extra cautious and see what is working or not before I upgrade to any version. That being said I would hope they are hard at work with numerous requests for polyphonic pitch and I am sure they will be providing us the additional channel on the REVV.

REQUEST If they can create a better tracking polyphonic pitch effect then I would want to also use that inside of some filters like EH has with their attack Decay pedal which also has fuzz. If we have that capability already then please point out which one we have. That is the kind of swell effect that I was hoping we would have access to when I read they had upgraded the swell effect a long time ago.

From what I understand this isn't poly yet. 

3 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

I hope the "bigger fish" will be the corrupted presets. By far the worst thing to deal with in case you're a live player.

I have yet to experience one... but that doesn't mean I won't :) 

I would love to see an elegant solution for this issue that some have to suffer through... because I know one day it might be me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1