Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Line 6 dc 3g cancer?

Kostya_M

Allright, I'm paranoid guy and I LOVE to make questions about that kind of things that scared me :D

I was sitting this morning and looking at Line 6 dc 3g power supply box.
And this information on the box was like storm in the middle of calm night: This product can expose you to chemicals including DEHP, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm.

I thought okay, just another formal text. But I can't forgot it and thinking all the time like what the hell? Does it really can cause cancer and etc. ? Why? Simple power supply? What's inside? Little atomic bomb? :)
Just wondering what you think of this.

Cheers :)

5 hours ago, Kostya_M said:

Just wondering what you think of this.

First of all, virtually everything sold in California...the birthplace of 99.97% of all regulations known to man...has a cancer warning label on it. The swashbuckling state legislators out there use them to pat themselves on the back for "saving lives". Not long ago they pinned it on coffee. That's right...coffee. Nuff said.

You know what else causes cancer? Being alive. 25% of us will eventually be diagnosed with one form or another, including a whole bunch of non-smoking, clean living, exercise junkies. Little kids, who haven't been alive long enough to be poisoned by anything, still manage to get cancer. Life is rough. You can worry about everything you touch if you like, but it won't help. When your number's up, your number's up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 4

Respectfully California is way ahead of the rest of the country on pollution standards. We need cleaner safer batteries and power supplies,they use old and dirty technology. Instead of slamming the whistle-blower we need to make more progress on clean power tech that does not lead to the disposal of heaps of toxic heavy metals, non-bioedegradeable plastics, and other nasty stuff that eventually ends up in our groundwater, streams, rivers, and oceans.  It is true that living in California you will find a surplus of warnings for a host of products. Enough to scare you into living in a cold-water yurt in the Redwoods. They're not wrong though and they have been ahead of the curve with car pollution(CAFE) standards and a long list of other environmental initiatives . Many of which get adopted at the federal level years after California has implemented them. We need to progress and change the materials we use in our manufacturing. With that said I would think that unless you open up and lick your power supply on a daily basis the chance of getting cancer from a million other carcinogens in the environment or random mutation is infinitely higher.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HonestOpinion said:

With that said I would say that unless you open up and lick your power supply on a daily basis the chance of getting cancer from a million other carcinogens in the environment or random mutation is infinitely higher.

Then, the warning referenced by OP is useless at best - and, one could argue, wasted ink

38 minutes ago, Kevin-M said:

Then, the warning referenced by OP is useless at best - and, one could argue, wasted ink

Perhaps, the primary contribution to upping your odds of contracting cancer is probably after they have disposed. I don't know if they off-gas but that might be detrimental if you work in a warehouse with about ten thousand power supplies or maybe even a small room with poor ventilation and twenty of these. Point is these warnings are not exclusive to Line6 power supplies. This same technology is ubiquitous in other products. The effects are cumulative when you are surrounded by carcinogenic materials. You would have to toss about 50% of the products in your home, your furniture, and many of the building materials composing your home. One power supply is a drop in the ocean( literally).

Just now, Kevin-M said:

AS noted by HonestOpinion, California is ahead of the curve on environmental issues. The reason that warning gets laughed at so much is that it pretty much gets applied to anything sold in California because it's so general as to cover most anything, and the lawyers advise that it gets posted to everything, just to be safe, which pretty much renders it a useless joke. All it really says is "Life is 100% guaranteed to result in death."

Everything in California can cause cancer.  Almost every product in the world has this warning on it. Almost everything enjoyable in life is either illegal in California or has some some health warning on it.  I'm being cynical here, I realize that.... but seriously. CA has warnings on everything.

43 minutes ago, guitarboy_02451 said:

Everything in California can cause cancer.  Almost every product in the world has this warning on it. Almost everything enjoyable in life is either illegal in California or has some some health warning on it.  I'm being cynical here, I realize that.... but seriously. CA has warnings on everything.

Not everything, puppies and tofu have no warnings. Not everything is illegal there either - 420 :-)

4 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

It is true that living in California you will find a surplus of warnings for a host of products. Enough to scare you into living in a cold-water yurt in the Redwoods.

Here's the rub though... it doesn't scare anybody, for two reasons:

1) Constant exposure to warnings about everything under the sun is arguably worse than no warnings at all. The same doom and gloom prognostications over and over again, result in nobody paying attention after a while...people simply get numb to it, and stop giving a $hit. When was the last time you sprang to attention after hearing a car alarm?

2) The interval between regular exposures to tiny doses of toxins and any tangible consequences, can usually be measured in decades. Humans are horrible at making this kind of association...if you do something 1000 times and nothing bad happens, you'll think nothing of doing it 1000 more times. It's the same reason that punishing the dog for something he did last week is useless.

Then there's the fact that toxicity is dosage dependent... and many of the toxins that generate this constant hand-wringing are present in such infinitesimal quantities in any given product, that it's not even worth discussing. And let's not forget that the poor lab rat who died, leading to "Compound X" being declared a carcinogen, was injected with 10,000 times the dose that anybody would ever be exposed to, even if they sat down and ate absolutely everything in the automotive section at Walmart.

At the end of the day, many of these cancer fears are overblown, and our benevolent despots' "solutions" are ineffective at best, if not actually making things worse.

36 minutes ago, cruisinon2 said:

This is the problem, though... constant exposure to warnings about everything under the sun is arguably worse than no warnings at all. Relentless exposure to the same doom and gloom stimuli results is nobody paying attention anymore...people simply get numb to it, and stop giving a $hit. When was the last time you sprang to attention after hearing a car alarm?

Plus, toxicity is dosage dependent... and many of the toxins that generate this constant hand-wringing are present in such infinitesimal quantities in any given product, that it's not even worth discussing. And let's not forget that the poor lab rat who died, leading to "Compound X" being declared a carcinogen, was injected with 10,000 times the dose that anybody would ever be exposed to, even if they sat down and ate absolutely everything in the automotive section at Walmart.

Yup, I get it. The boy who cried wolf syndrome (or rat in this case).