Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Android App

rustyjuggler

If no android app forget it !

I have a number of "Apple People" in my life while I use (and love) Android based devices.  One thing I know for sure with these folks is that Apple markets to people who don't want to deep think their phones. At all. Ever.  If it doesn't slap them in the face, they get lost.

My question to them is always this; "If Apple products are so wonerfully easy to use, why are you asking me how to do anything?"

As far as THIS situation goes, well to me a product like this belongs in the Apple realm and not the Android universe and it is being marketed at a "certain demographic".

• Upvote 1

I have a number of "Apple People" in my life while I use (and love) Android based devices.  One thing I know for sure with these folks is that Apple markets to people who don't want to deep think their phones. At all. Ever.  If it doesn't slap them in the face, they get lost.

Funny... My boss who is in her late 50s has a Samsung G4, and she's always asking me for help with it. I do find the Android OS to be more confusing and unintuitive than the iOS stuff. I have an iPhone 5S, and I can't complain. I love it because it simply always works.

Funny... My boss who is in her late 50s has a Samsung G4, and she's always asking me for help with it. I do find the Android OS to be more confusing and unintuitive than the iOS stuff. I have an iPhone 5S, and I can't complain. I love it because it simply always works.

C'est la vie but then, my Android devices "just work" too.  What sometimes gauls me about some Apple folks is the elitist attitudes.  As if.   But we won't do that schtick here, OK?

Mostly, it's entertaining and sort of reminiscent of the VHS - BetaMax wars of the 80s lol...

Well we can fight this endlessly and going nowhere :) but anyway i am not gona buy alplifi until there is full support for win/linux/android case closed.

Well Windows and Android probably have a good chance (esp. Android)... Linux... uh, good luck with that.

the reason androids get passed over for much of these musician goodies is the lack of standardization on the connections, specifically audio related... but the implementation can vary widely too based on the OEM of the device and their decisions regarding the android OS....

this being a total bluetooth app.... goes around all those limitations.. i think we'll see an android app relatively quickly.

at least that's my opinion.

• Upvote 1

It's a BoomBox, people. It happens to function as a guitar amp, but what it really is, is a BoomBox. A Bluetooth enabled speaker.

And with deep tone editing on iOS and hopefully later this year android (unconfirmed). And it's portable, and it's a mini PA, and it's got a shed load of high quality amp tones (inc lots not available in HD yet - x3 tones were at a higher sample rate than XT)....

For me, it's like a boom box made by Iron Man! It's designed to kick some serious a$$

Cheers

Rowbi

Edited by Rowbi
Edited to clarify Android App info
  • Upvote 1

I've been considering buying one of these too, and while I'm not an Apple person, I'm fairly certain that upgrades to the software are coming. Why else would they put a USB port on the back?

Line 6 has far too many applications for windows to bring out a new product and completely ditch all of their existing software. I would be willing to bet that the ease of integration with iTunes is why the IOS devices were chosen for the launch date.

I'm hoping that I'm correct, it would be really cool to use this for at home jamming, and then take any of the tones that I like and move them to my PodXTLive.

This just crossed my mind as well, anyone tried setting up a Virtual Machine running IOS to control one of these yet?

Edited by Myddraal

In response to the guy who said its a boombox, I see what you're saying, but boomboxes dont have a Celestion speaker.

Well guys, I'm one of the sorry mf's who preordered one of these because I would have SWORE, they were telling me the APP was compatible with Android, and not just the fact that you can connect with any Bluetooth device.

I read somewhere that the REMOTE APP would be Android-ready upon launch. I cannot describe how irrate I was when I figured out I was misled.

The only reason I'm not going to kill someone right now is that I already have a ridiculous selection of dope pedals at my disposal.

In retrospect, if I would have ever spent as much on an amp as I have guitars and pedals, I would have been in business a long time ago.

I bought the AMPLIFi because it seemed like it would be great fun for a small bedroom. I havent even flipped it on yet, so I have no review. I was so pissed off I just wanted to come and voice my displeasure about the claims of what is "compatible" with the amp.

But then, thats what I get for buying something solely based upon hype from the manufacturer!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

In response to the guy who said its a boombox, I see what you're saying, but boomboxes dont have a Celestion speaker.

Well guys, I'm one of the sorry mf's who preordered one of these because I would have SWORE, they were telling me the APP was compatible with Android, and not just the fact that you can connect with any Bluetooth device.

I read somewhere that the REMOTE APP would be Android-ready upon launch. I cannot describe how irrate I was when I figured out I was misled.

The only reason I'm not going to kill someone right now is that I already have a ridiculous selection of dope pedals at my disposal.

In retrospect, if I would have ever spent as much on an amp as I have guitars and pedals, I would have been in business a long time ago.

I bought the AMPLIFi because it seemed like it would be great fun for a small bedroom. I havent even flipped it on yet, so I have no review. I was so pissed off I just wanted to come and voice my displeasure about the claims of what is "compatible" with the amp.

But then, thats what I get for buying something solely based upon hype from the manufacturer!

I'm sorry…but this is on you.  You were not mislead by any stretch of the imagination.  It was clearly documented…well, everywhere…that the app was only compatible with iOS.  The only mention of Android compatibility are on the message boards by folks who want it.  

Not trying to be mean, but take responsibility for your mistake.  Don't blame Line 6 on this one.

• Upvote 2

First of all, I never said the place I heard about android compaitibility was on this forum, nor was it from someone who works for Line 6.

How are you going to tell me what I heard, and where? I defintitely bought one from a distributor, and under the spec's it says "compatible with Android".

It did not say "you can use Android to wirelessly playback your audio files".

I'm not blaming Line 6 directly, I was originally asking if there will BE Android support in the future.

My complaint on the Line 6 forum might not be the right venue, but then again, your response was useless as well.

I already stated that I should have done more research, all I'm saying is that I could post more than one link where the description was misleading.

edit: I was also under the influence when I bought the AMPLIFi.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well guys, I'm one of the sorry mf's who preordered one of these because I would have SWORE, they were telling me the APP was compatible with Android, and not just the fact that you can connect with any Bluetooth device.  I read somewhere that the REMOTE APP would be Android-ready upon launch. I cannot describe how irrate I was when I figured out I was misled.

not to pour salt on the wound but Android compatibility was NEVER mentioned or claimed on ANY Line 6 ad, brochure, spec sheet, announcement, anything... nothing, NADA...  Only on forums where people who didn't like it or didn't have an Apple product was Android ever talked about.  You weren't misled, you didn't read the fine print, or the big print it appears...  The only person you should be pissed at is yourself for a dumb mistake.  Why on earth you would want to brag about that to the world I don't know.  Humble bragging about some "dope" pedals doesn't let you off the hook.  Get some cheap iOS gear or send it back.  Either way quit blaming Line 6 for your dumb lollipop...

• Upvote 1

Nice! Got my first "-" mark for calling it a BoomBox. :)

I absolutely do not think calling it a BoomBox is demeaning in any way. It's a throwback term! A term of endearment. And yes, no BoomBox out there has a Celestion. (well, the 150 has a Celestion, not sure what the 75 has, since it's an 8" or 10" speaker?)

While my distaste and distain for the L6 marketing team has subsided on this gear release, I am still really confused/curious about the product itself. As they say, "curiosity killed the cat"... So, no more negative energy from me. I was actually quite hopeful it would be able to do things that built upon previous gear releases, but in defense of L6, it's a different price point / budget perspective.

Once I got over the "it's not an HD and it's not a DT", then I settled down a bit. It sits well in their Spider market. Personal perspective - my first piece of L6 gear was the X3Live. And I used it for home recording, and when I played electric bass with my band. It replaced a total piece of garbage Boss ME50B pedal board.

So, I have a skewed perspective on things. Replaced the X3L with the HD500, and more recently added a JTV and a DT25. So, yeah, anyone who is thinking in that price point and quality of gear is bound to be all, "What the Lollipop?" when they call this such a novel reinvention of gear. And it is, no arguing that!

I suppose it's a good lesson in life. Support what you love, don't spend energy on what you don't like. It's better to be able to speak positive about something, that negative about something else. So color me guilty of the latter.

It's not an HD, it's not a DT, and they are not it. Does that matter? No, not really. Price point! It's easy to forget, that for an existing IOS and ANDROID market base, the external third party device, while expensive on it's own, is not actually factored into the cost of owning an Amplifi. Sure, an Ipad costs $600. And the external floorboard is not terribly expensive -shortboard is around $200?

So, the 150 Amplifi is $500, the shortboard is $200, total around $700 -  and let's pretend you already own an iPhone or iPad. By comparison, the DT25 is $1,000 and the HD500x is $500. That's more than DOUBLE! Add the JTV for (on sale) $1,000, and you're looking at a $2,500 investment in equipment, which is now more than three times the cost.

I guess that extra money is why the Amplifi doesn't have all those bells and whistles, like XLR in, Variax, XLR out, recording function, etc. I'd LOVE to see this idea down the road figure out how to incorporate recording. That would be really, really cool. USB out from the Amplifi to your DAW, or possibly a way to split the signal, so you can record just the guitar parts, not the playback.

Or, even next gen, the idea of "wireless recording". Bluetooth recording interface>? Or even just an SD card slot, like the Stagescape mixers have. But I digress - none of that is going to occur in a $400-$500 price point, so it's pointless for people (like me) to drag on about it!

Cheers people, may Spring be upon us sooner, rather than later. I for one am ready for warmer weather.

ALL Nature seems at work. Slugs leave their lair, The bees are stirring, birds are on the wing. And WINTER slumbering in the open air, Wears on his smiling face a dream of Spring! And I, the while, the sole unbusy thing, Nor honey make, nor pair, nor build, nor sing.

• Upvote 1

Once I got over the "it's not an HD and it's not a DT", then I settled down a bit. It sits well in their Spider market.

So True, It's a GREAT Product for the Price. With some tweaks, its giggable and usable live. It's a nice little "home bluetooth" my wife can use while doing dishes. Bonus, I can dialup a preset and ROCK the house when she is out with the girls. This little 150 Unit is loud as F****K. I'm happy with it but it needs a little tweaking to become what we expected of a 2014 product.

My only gripe with it so far is that the box actually says it is compatible with 4th generation iPod touch. I know it says 5th generation on here and my actual intention is to run it with my android tablet once they get it sorted. So for the time being I have to picj and choose which songs I jam with based on the tones that come as presets, but it is great just as a music player :-)

the REAL and absolute measure of which IOS devices will work... is simply that it must support IOS7

if your device supports IOS7, it will work... if NOT, it WILL NOT work.

My only gripe with it so far is that the box actually says it is compatible with 4th generation iPod touch. I know it says 5th generation on here and my actual intention is to run it with my android tablet once they get it sorted. So for the time being I have to picj and choose which songs I jam with based on the tones that come as presets, but it is great just as a music player :-)

the REAL and absolute measure of which IOS devices will work... is simply that it must support IOS7

if your device supports IOS7, it will work... if NOT, it WILL NOT work.

I knew my 4th gen wouldn't work before I bought it because of the iOS7 issue. Just thought it was misleading that it does say 4th gen on the box

Yeah they are aware of the misprint, and have an announcement on the forums... and will sure correct the print.

i just think IOS7 is an easier thing to determine than the generation of some devices so i threw that out to simplify.

I knew my 4th gen wouldn't work before I bought it because of the iOS7 issue. Just thought it was misleading that it does say 4th gen on the box

• Upvote 1

If you'd like to change your pre-set tones...you could find a buddy with an iPhone, invite him over for some beer and pizza, and while he's there, borrow his phone and use the app to find and change your pre-sets to some other tones. AE

• Upvote 1

So THEY HAVE  to commit to Android? That's a new one on me. I have said before, I have a Win8 laptop, a Macbook Pro, an Android phone, and an iPad mini. Bring it on Line 6, I am ready. None of these are top of the line, or less than a year old.

you don't have to buy anything...

also ... noone has to make exactly what you want to buy either....

just saying... its pretty clear given your statement that the amplifi is not for you at the current time...

and may or may not ever be...

I don't intend to get involved in an Apple vs. Android argument. I also don't intend to buy another piece of Line6 stuff until they commit to Android. I just am not about to carry two phones around.

• Downvote 1

So THEY HAVE  to commit to Android? That's a new one on me. I have said before, I have a Win8 laptop, a Macbook Pro, an Android phone, and an iPad mini. Bring it on Line 6, I am ready. None of these are top of the line, or less than a year old.

Congratulations on having more money than me.

I love the constant "It's not an HD, it's not a DT" statements, I don't even know WTH that means.  All I know is that everyone who has heard it says it sounds amazing.  Two professional studios are already looking to have these as standard equipment.

I guess if it doesn't have the acronym you want, then it's not good enough...

Back to point, would love an Android app, but not necessary.  Luckily I have more money than Lanceg13 too...  :P

Congratulations on having more money than me.

I do not have money, and on a fixed income. My Macbook Pro is old, my android phone was cheap, My win8 lap is 2 years old and cheap when I got it. I did the Win 8 upgrade when it was cheap. I got the iPad min 64gb after the reitna display came out and it was the same price as the 32 gb.  There are ways, and then there are ways....

I love the constant "It's not an HD, it's not a DT" statements, I don't even know WTH that means.   :P

Yeah, I sounded like a broken record; I re-read some of my initial reactions to the AMPLIFi, and what I wrote came off sounding rather less than savory. I think that for me, the comparison triggered a defensive response, because I had just purchased a DT25 (and since I don't have alot of $$ either, had to do the 8 payment plan).

In terms of "WTH" does that mean, well - it means the DT/HD series represent the current pinnacle of Line6 modelling and FX technology. Quite seriously, I can 100% see L6 releasing an "AMPLIFi-HD" if they can. I don't know the specifics of this DSP vs that DSP, all I know, is for me, personally, the HD500 sounds better than the X3. That doesn't necessarily mean the AMPLIFi should be judged as equivalent to the X3, which is the logic error I made, when lambasting the AMPLIFi as "less" than the DT / HD series. For all I know, L6 has a future firmware planned which will offer the HD / M13 series as part of the AMPLFIi tone modelling! Who knows. Certainly, I do not..

In terms of money well spent, that criteria is defined by each and every one of us. For me, I love the DT25. I already want another one. After that I want some StageScape L2/L3's, and I want a StageScape mixer. Because I really, really like the L6Link feature.

So for me, the AMPLIFi vs HD/DT was a relatively straight forward mental reaction. For others, maybe they have gear that is even better than the HD/DT pairing, so for them the AMPLIFi was a gift from heaven.

What I can say, is I just received my ProTools11+ElevenRack bundle, which for the price, the 11R hardware was basically free; same cost on sale at SweetWater as buying the ProTools11 software by itself! Score... :) Happy, Happy, can't wait to plug it all together. In particular, I am psyched to use the 11R as the soundcard, to capture various versions of the signal from the HD500 and the DT25.

• Upvote 1