Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Android App

rustyjuggler

As soon as I am proficient with my copy of ProTools MP9, I'm gonna be upgrading, but right now, there's tons of stuff in here that I have no clue about.  However, I am coming up with some awesome tunes using the built in drum samples, a synth emulater on my iPad, and down to 2 mics on the Amplifi.  Blowing people away with this set up!

• 3 weeks later...

No news, or even official commitment that it will happen. 

You should not have made the purchase if this was a critical issue to you.

there have been cases where announced updates have taken nearly a year to materialize.

and this is as yet unannounced.

I suspect that it may happen or they may even be working on it...

But it would be a bad choice to buy on an eventual android app. In my opinion.

That's why I'm a mechanical engineer who just enjoys the fruits of our hard working software developers. But I figure if they can get flappy bird to work on most versions of android, then they surely can get this simple editor to work as well.

• Upvote 1

Just some of my thoughts to add to this salvo. No it's not hd it's not dt. I have a DT and an HD though as well as a sonic port. It is definitely Pod farm, same models and other forum posts have said that it draws from the pod farm cloud. Though you can't run dual amps..  Remember that Pod farm is studio grade. 

As far as Android Iphone, the topic. I know it's extra money, but a good option for some may be to use a gen 2 or newer ipod touch, which you can snag for around 50-80 bucks. As long as you got the latest ios running on it, you'll have full control. Just providing an option. 

I am also interested if anyone out there has figured out how to use the apple devkit emulator to communicate with amplifi. 

Ok Line6 - I've been using your products for years - love my Flextone II plus, the Extension Flextone speaker cab that matches my amp, the Floor Pod Plus I have and the Guitar Port and Tone Port- All Windows based software and all work wonderfully - I, like many others have the Android OS (on my LG G2) and all my Computer systems are Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (All HIgh Performance Dell Workstations) used for Digital Recording and Live Performances - 

I WANT TO BUY the AMPLIFI 150 - I'M Ready to do it right now.... BUT it is USELESS to me and MANY OTHER Line 6 USERS and BELIEVERS if you don't make it a Global platform interface for Android and Windows User - Especially WINDOWS Users - - Making this an exclusive Apple based interface, even for the Debut of the AMP was in my humble opinion, a mistake and a slap in the face to what I have to believe is the majority of Line 6 product users, Windows Users - Windows is the more widely used PC operating system on the planet - I understand Apple (iOS) in the music industry is highly revered and used but the fact remains (again in my experience and my humble opinion) Line 6 has captured everyone's attention regardless of the OS but greatly limited your sales overall initially with no cross platform Software Interface for what appears to be a great move forward in your Amplifier offerings - 

I would love to buy one today but it will not be functional to me until, "MAYBE" later this year with regard to my Brands of Operating Systems - 

-Waiting makes my money go wander - in the next year some one will come up with something that will be ready to go on all platforms and there is a really good chance that company will get my money... because my money and I hate to wait....

O well - I will remain a faithful Line 6 user and customer but regarding this product, Line 6 should have debut the "Amplifi" ready to go with at the very least Windows based interface as well as the iOS - - I am truly disappointed...  

• Upvote 1

There will be no Android app.  That's right, I said it.

There are no usable guitar modelers or recording software for Android from any companies and there must be a reason.  Maybe it has to do with the open source structure.  Maybe it has to do with the pay for delivery model through Apple.  Maybe there is a fundamental problem with Android architecture, I don't know.  Line 6 has a history of gear for iOS but nothing for Android as does many other companies.  I have no inside scoop here but I don't believe there is any Android app or hardware coming period.

Don't hold your breath for it, don't base any decisions on the possibility of a future release...

Of course, usual disclaimer, my opinion only...

Is there a default Android music app? That's one reason I could think of that might be different. The Amplifi app on iOS is piggybacking off the library in the Apple "Music" app. Perhaps there's less uniformity in the way Android handle music files across all of its devices.

the "Play Music" app is the default. It integrates with the streaming online music store. The Amplifi remote app could be written to take advantage of that program. It would be nice to stream a list of songs from the cloud.

In general Android is more open in the way it handles media. Each music program can build their own library of where the files are located. Users are not locked into putting their music in obfuscated folders like idevices require.

I could go on about the limitations of idevices and music files, but I'll stop while I'm ahead. 

This is what I am talking about.  All these apps are for iOS:

Guitar - Ampkit+, Amplitube, DigiTech iStomp, StompBox, Taylor EQ, iAmGuitar, Bias, Jammit (Line6)

Recording - Audiobus, FourTrack, Overdub, GarageBand, MultiTrack DAW, StudioTrack

There is virtually nothing similar for Android.  Mostly chord finders, tuners and tab readers.  Nothing remotely as polished or usable as the iOS products.

There has to be a deeper reason that we are not realizing here.  If there was a way to tap into that huge Android market, don't you think someone would already have written that killer app?  Line 6 has plenty of hardware that already supports iOS but nothing for Android and they are integrated with Jammit too, also iOS.

Nope, there won't be anything decent coming for Android so if you want to go down this road, you will have to suck it up and buy Apple products...

Of course, usual disclaimer, my opinion only...

One thing is that the Android market, even though it's bigger overall, is a lot more fragmented as far as the variety of devices. You have the Amazon Kindles and Barnes and Nobel Nooks, for instance... Though some people are probably using those more as tablets, a lot of those users probably aren't going to be the typical audio user. I just think that there probably is a big portion of the musician market that prefers iOS.

All that said, it would be nice if Line 6 were able to do something for the Android market. I'm not in the position to guess whether or not they will or not, though.

I thought it was in the works .. kinda waiting on the android one before i buy so if it does not come out i won't be buying it.

I was under the impression that android has the bigger majority in devices, seams a lot of people/ companies shoot themselves in the foot by not making that observation. 

I was under the impression that android has the bigger majority in devices, seams a lot of people/ companies shoot themselves in the foot by not making that observation. 

That's what I mean... these companies aren't dumb, they know the size of the market and they surely have the programming capability.  But from the start there has been no guitar or recording apps for Android.  There has to be another fundamental reason why nobody, not just Line 6, nobody is putting one out...

but this is actually why i think an L6 app will eventually happen....

that is that the amplifi app does not process audio at all... all it needs to do is control the amp over bluetooth...

something that pretty much any android can handle.

That's what I mean... these companies aren't dumb, they know the size of the market and they surely have the programming capability.  But from the start there has been no guitar or recording apps for Android.  There has to be another fundamental reason why nobody, not just Line 6, nobody is putting one out...

• Upvote 1

It just seams to be one of those things where apple has gotten the luck of being retailers first choice maybe they have a better publishing platform than android but i doubt that there is actually anything technically better on that side of the field than on androids...  Hopefully over the next few years that will flip as there are going to be so many android users.

Yet saying that where exactly does the processing happen in the amplifi, I know you can have 4 tones stored in the amp right so if the amp is processing it all what is the app other than a glorified remote control.... i know it's a player too and all that but really the thing is that you don't buy a TV and have to buy a remote that costs more than the TV to change the channel.

They should have put an LCD and menu in the box and charged an extra 20 quid so that you could deep edit the 4 presets . Then It would have been nice to have the app remote as extra candy.

I think the issue is the lack of audio drivers for Linux / Android. On Apple, it is their "Audio BUS" that everyone programs to. I think with an equivalent driver set the hardware differences would be effectively hidden. I have both iPad Mini, which is a great device with lots of cool music software, as well as a Nexus 7. Even though I like my company supplied iPhone and ipad Mini, I find myself using the Nexus 80% of the time.

Do hope they implement the Android app. I'm a multi-effects collector, so will probably get the FX100 when it is released. I like the idea of the Amplifi amp and considered it as a replacement for my Spider Jam, but I enjoy the looper too much.

OK. No Android app. Whatever.

But with the strong base of POD Farm and L6 Monkey, there is NO EXCUSE for a lack of PC based editor.

I AM FURIOUS THAT I HAD TO BUY A FENDER MUSTANG III TODAY!!!

I simply had no choice. I need a B rig. I cannot drag my A rig amp, rack, and floor gear all over the place anymore. I need something portable. Then I only have to break my back on gig days.

I like Line 6 stuff. I own a  POD HD Pro X, a Relay G90, FBV Shortboard, and lots of other retired stuff in the closet. But now I have no way to continue with this company. The Spider IVs are too old. I wanted an Amplifi 150, but am not going to go buy an iPad so I can use one.

This sucks. I hope the Fender works OK.

I think you guys all pretty much summed it up. I would hazard a guess, that the #1 issue is this:

ALL of Apple's devices are made by Apple. Android, however, lives on devices from several different hardware companies; Samsung, LG, HTC, Droid / Razor, etc. - and even within that grouping, you get a wide variety of quality, for example within the Samsung platform.

The latency issue seems to be a part of the equation as well, likely due to the widespread use of Android across multiple hardware platforms.

Sonoma Wire announced back in NAMM 2013 that they had a low-latency solution for Android, but who knows where that went! I pulled that news from an article discussing the "best Android music making apps".

It's almost like, they would be able to release Android support, but only for certain hardware - or similar to the iOs7 requirement for Apple devices, they would only be able to offer it with certain Android hardware offering certain Android operating systems. Jellybean Ice Cream Sundae Popsicle Lollipop Sandwich v.2.6.3.5

So I am not surprised to see Android languish behind iOs.

What does surprise me, is the lack of Windows integration. I can understand, and even defend the delay and/or non-existence of an Android option for the AMPLiFi. But it does seem odd that they left out Windows. Though, they are not alone in this trend. For example, there was a remake recently of my favorite old computer game, Ultima IV, from way back in the day on my Apple IIe, long, long ago, you know, BEFORE The Internet! :)

Anyway, the new "Ultima Forever" is available only on iOs devices, and also only the newer hardware supporting the newer iOs operating system. They have been getting the same type of daily "where is the Android version? where is the Windows version?" questions for going on two years now, or at least a year. To date, Nada, Nothing, Zork, Zilch.

Interestingly enough however, this report proclaims Android the most stable operating system among mobile devices. So go figure! I would have though those Nokia windows phones were pretty solid candidates for this type of thing.

I think, as someone else mentioned, the $$$ integration of Apple store, and the consistency of hardware, and the market bonus for any company promoting Apple above their competitors likely played some part in the decision. It's not often a company creates a product almost wholly dependent on a third party hardware, some of which (iPhone, iPad) costs as much as or more than the amp itself, and you need to buy that extra gear to get the amp to work properly. Granted, the "Extra" gear in this case, is some of the best there is, and works for a million other things, so, as bets go, they made a smart choice. I *want* an iPad more than I want an AMPLiFi! But mostly because iPad is awesome, and I'd like to try it with my M20d.

Now there is a similar example - the Line6 M20d. You can use ALL of the functionality of the M20d mixer, all by itself, as is. And, you can also use iPads with certain WiFi dongles to enhance the functionality of the mixer. An analogy to the current status of the AMPLiFi to the M20d, would be, that you were required to use an iPad with the M20d in order to make it work properly.

But imagine you couldn't use HALF of what the M20d can do if you weren't using an iPad with it?? For the (many) folks who already own Apple, and those who would welcome buying into Apple to use their Line6 gear, good for all of them. And for those who don't want to buy Apple to use their Line6 gear, the AMPLiFi is certainly not for you - at least, not yet.

However, the new Line6 PickBot pick printer looks stellar! No, really, it wasn't just an April Fools joke.... ;) :o :)

Best blurb of the bunch:

"Dive in deep, if you wish, with customizable settings for parameters such as finger nail length and how many beers the guitarist sounds like they’ve had."

• 1 month later...

Almost purchased the 150W version, saw I needed and IOS device to utilise it fully, didn't buy.

I guess the U.S is predominantly IOS, shame really, I can't stand IS devices.

I got a Spider Jam instead, cool wee amp.

If Sonic port was android supported, I'd own that too, but....

android apps are rare for musical instrument companies (yeah i know they exist... don't need examples)

just saying not a Line6 issue... more an industry issue, and more specifically android has very diverse hardware and is not as easy to support.

although i do think that the pod HD's have plenty of amp models... if you ignore the name of the amp and what its modeled after... you can get a great range of tones.

if you get held up on the name of the amp or what its modeled after... then yes, you'll give up....

in any case... that argument is entirely irrelevant to the amplifi forums...

best to discuss that on the pod hd forums if you desire.

Wtf is happening with line 6, first de hd series without many amps, without a peavey T_T now this...

I would purchase the Amplifi 150 right now if it was Android ready - However it is not and Line 6 doesn't want to let anyone know if/when an andriod app will be available - The most we get from Line 6 is "maybe later this year" - Frankly, this is kinda Stupid - Look at the money being lost on a new product because it has limited capability due simply to an APP... What Line 6 should do is offer an iPad mini or iPad with the Amplifi system as a bundled deal or get the ball rolling as a priority for the Android version of the App. so there is little waiting involved at this point. At the very least the Amplifi System should have had a Windows based tool...

Come on Line 6 developers! I know you want my money and you know I want the Amp (Boombox)  - I have been using Line 6 products for many years and this is the first time I have to B*tch about anything - 

They are not going to release it until it's ready.  This stuff takes time.  They made priority choices and they happen to have picked a platform that you don't want.  I won't buy it even though I have an iphone5s.  It's too small for my old eyes.  I use a laptop for my music and I want USB connectivity and an app that runs on my laptop  before I will consider this product.

Why not support all platforms, all operating systems and then EVERYONE CAN USE IT!!!???! :D I WANT TO RUN IT ON MY ZX SPECTRUM AND GAMEBOY AND CASIO WATCH!!!!!?!?!! XDXD

Seriously though, I suspect it came down to the realities of business decisions and software development. Limited resources and risk. They probably wanted to make a high quality product controllable from a mobile device, tablet and phone. They potentially also wanted to guarantee really tight, good, integration on release to maximise the potential return on initial investment.

They could have chosen to support a number of platforms but something has to give. It would have either meant:

- Increasing the size of the investment (risk)

- More time in R&D (longer time to market)

- Potentially less predictable customer experience (android device and manufacturer variance)

- Reduced quality

The device itself is a new concept, they have no idea how well it will sell in the market. Is it not better that they released earlier, then got feedback, if it proves to be a success then they can look to expand the platform in future. If not, then less lost.

If you were given a fixed release date for the hardware & limited development/test resource what would you do? Support 1 OS with great quality or two with reduced quality? You can't have your cake and eat it.

Sure you could reach more customers supporting a wider device base but at what cost?

It makes a lot of sense to develop for one device at first and see how it goes. Purposefully selecting and limiting the potential market.

There are many potential reasons for picking iOS most of which have been mentioned already. Basically they decided that IOS was best fit for the initial target market or as a flagship offering. Then wait to see how the market receives it before making a decision on additional support.

Frustrating for non-iOS owners I know. Let's all just be happy for the lovely new toy our Apple owning brethren get to play with and hope the idea sells well enough for Line6 to get around to expanding the target market and releasing an android version at some point. Maybe lessons learned from the iOS release could even lead to it being a superior version. Also then I could consider buying the amp :) I can't be affording these iBrandedDevices. 

I am waiting for USB to PC functionality.  My Iphone is just too small for this stuff and my wife uses her Ipad all the time and I don't have my own.  I use a laptop all the time with my JTV and HD500x.  I like the concept of this product for home use.  I want a high end Bluetooth speaker for playing music - and I would play my guitar through it sometimes too.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

For a company like line 6 only to be able to use all the features is I would think unthinkable as a company trying to sell these products. It's as if they're only wanting those with iOS devices to buy it. I own a line six spider valve mkii and it is mac an windows. Definitely a deal crusher for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd buy this today, but not without an Android app. Surely, they'll be on to this? Please let's be beyond niche marketing (however big the niche). Not going to wait forever though, other amps exist but I really would rather buy this.

I discovered it yesterday, and just been informed by the seller 1min before buying that's not compatible with anything but Apple devices.

It's a shame, it really limit the product interest to minus 273°C when you know this if you're Apple hater.

Wake up Line 6, 95% of the world run on Windows and Android.

The App isn'r rocket science, it will takes just a few days to covert to Android platform for good developpers.

Go back to work !

I don't think fragmentation is the reason they have no android app. Fragmentation on x86 based PC's is as huge and yet they have developed applications for any PC running windows 7 and 8. They can limit the android app to the last 2 versions of Android to simplify.

I think line 6 just doesn't have the programmers for android based apps.

The fact only an IOS application is available is certainly just marketing stuff - maybe even some agreement/contract with Apple...

It is well known that Android is not on par with IOS regarding latency and that explains why all sophisticated app are available on IOS and not android.

But we are talking of a "simple Editor" here ... this is just a simple remote app that basically sends commands to the hardware... The signal processing/modeling does not take place on the IPAD. Therefore, there aren't any technical reasons that would prevent to have the same app on Android... Moreover, it's not like there were no solution for developing cross platform tools (IOS, Android, MAC, Windows) ... just have a look at Xamarin dev tools.

I don't mean that IOS is not a great platform but purchasing an ipad and dealing with the apple ecosystem/config/passwords/updates and all that jazz when you already have windows 8.1 and Android devices is cumbersome and adds up to the initial price...

Things get even worst with the amplifi fx100. Say you would like to use it as an usb audio interface (which makes sense), you would still need a separate ipad instead of using your connected computer...

Frankly, except for the buzz or because of some special agreement with Apple, this limitation does not make sense...

noone said they aren't working on other apps and devices being compatible...

it makes perfect sense to release it working with iOS if they had it that far and continue working on other apps etc...

i can't confirm that they are working on anything... in which case... it makes even more sense to release it iOS only if that's all it was ever going to be...

i do however agree that the android limitations shouldn't matter as much when you are only editing....

but i'm not a developer... and it's always more complicated than us users think.