Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD500X: Factory reset & update

bartolomeacosta

Hi there, 

I have bought an used HD500X and I would like to get it in a “Factory configuration”, because I don’t know If the previous owner did changes in any patch or configuration. How can I reset it completely? 

On the other side, how can I update it to its last firmware version?

Best,
Bartok

- download the monkey program from this site and install it..
- with the POD connected through USB run the monkey program and install the latest firmware
- do a global reset  - finally do a pedal calibration

FYI if your unit has the optional/additional model packs installed, don't run the license manager if you don't own the license to use them, otherwise you'll lose them.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

If you Flash the firmware, you will most likely lose the model packs if you did not buy them or did not get them transferred...no way around that.

You don't really need to re-flash the unit to reset it. If you want to reset the patches and one of your setlists is full of blank patches. You can make a blank setlist bundle and apply it to each setlist you want to blank out using Edit.

If not, you can make one pretty quickly with edit or on the device itself...You can even download a blank setlist bundle from custom tone. You can download the default patches form there also.

5 hours ago, spaceatl said:

If you Flash the firmware, you will most likely lose the model packs if you did not buy them or did not get them transferred...no way around that.

not so sure about what said by "spaceatl" in the above sentence, but you never know..

------------------------------------------------

I don't take responsibility for what I'm about to say because I've never had the need to test what would happen if I didn't have the model pack licenses.

What I can say with certainty is that in my case if I reinstall the firmware the model packs remain where they are (ie I don't have to reinstall/reauthorize them).

I add that I usually prefer to use the firmware update procedure in offline mode (always available option) which requires that I have already downloaded the firmware file which is then used by the monkey program to do the flashing.
I always choose to do this to prevent any accidental line problems from causing the delicate flashing procedure to be interrupted, which thing would brick the device.

So I assume that by updating the firmware offline as I do, the line6 server has no way of checking at that moment whether I own the license or not (registered in my line6 account).

In any case I have been told by other users who have model packs in their device that the only program that verifies the license is the "license manager", which can then block the authorization to use the model packs if the license is not present in your account.

5 hours ago, bartolomeacosta said:

Where could I download the default patches exactly? Has Line6 a patches download section?

AFAIK there is not any place on this site to download the default patches, but time ago I saved all the default setlists belonging to the latest firmware,

so here they are: 2.62 - L6 setlists.zip

... since they are for the HD500 (which I own) but they are 100% identical to the ones for the HD500X (just the file extension is different), use the drag and drop method to load them into the Editor and send them to the device, it will work no doubt.

Even if you decide not to do the firmware flashing, I suggest to do at least the global reset and the pedal calibration (linked in my previous post), so all the global settings will be resetted to their defaults.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

3 hours ago, bartolomeacosta said:

I think I will bought the HD Bass Model pack (because I don’t play guitar), which is about 30USD, and I will update firmware and register it into my account. I think that it doesn’t worth the risk of having troubles in a future... 

no risk until you use the license manager.. and why you should ever run it?

however you could ask the previous owner to transfer the license from his account to your account by using the "gift" option..

if you still want to buy the bass model pack (and lose the vintage and metal ones which thing will make your unit less valuable/desiderable in case you want to resell it) at least wait for the upcoming black friday to get 30% discount if Line6 will do it also this year as usual..

but do as you like, it's your business..

Good luck!

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips

Ok! You’ve convinced me! hahaha... ;) 

I will:

1. Update the firmware, by Monkey.

2. Do a Global Reset / Pedal Calib.

3. Not use License Manager.

But there are my doubts:

If I have an issue with the HD500X but it is not registered in my Line6 account, would I have support for it?

The previous owner deleted the HD500X from his account. Could this action erase the fully loaded pack from the device? I have still not received the unit.

By the way, he can not pass me the license because he bought it using a promotion...

Edited by bartolomeacosta
error on writing

1 hour ago, bartolomeacosta said:

If I have an issue with the HD500X but it is not registered in my Line6 account, would I have support for it?

There is no need to get support for the model packs. In any case you can still register the POD serial number into your account and get official Line6 support for it in case of need..

Moreover, the POD is not going to receive any update/upgrade in the future. It will be like it is currently until its EOL.

1 hour ago, bartolomeacosta said:

The previous owner deleted the HD500X from his account. Could this action erase the fully loaded pack from the device? I have still not received the unit.

The unit serial number and the model pack license number are 2 different things, if he deleted the HD500X from his account it doesn't necessarily mean that he doesn't own anymore the license for the model pack, maybe he want to sell the license separately to make some more money.

But it could also be that he bought the same unit second hand and never received the license (like you) to use the model packs.

However as already said previously your model packs are safe as soon as you don't run the license manager (and you don't need to).

The only utility of the license manager is to authorize paid by you (or gifted) software to be used on a certain system (computer or device).

And if you don't want to reinstall the firmware (you don't need to, since the unit is working fine) you could still use the factory setlists I provided previously, and do a global reset and pedal calibration as I already suggested.

Doing so all patches and general parameters will return to their defaults.

All about POD HD500/X

help and useful tips