Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

USB (midi) port renamed to "2 - Line 6 Helix" after update

p8guitar

I connected my helix floor for the 2.82 update as required directly to an USB port of a windows laptop. But normally I have to connect it to an USB hub, because my laptop doesn't have enough USB ports. When the Helix is connected to the USB hub, it is recognized as "2 - Line 6 Helix" by Windows, not as "Line 6 Helix".

therefore all my Ableton Live sets don't recognize Helix anymore. To repair this I would have to change the midi input in all these sets, which is a lot of unnecessary work.

My question - is it possible to remove "Line 6 Helix" in the Windows device manager, so that "2- Line 6 Helix" is automatically renamed to "Line 6 Helix"? I don't see it there, see screenshot.

Helix midi port renamed to 2 - Line 6 Helix .jpg

Most laptops have more than one USB port. Both of mine have three. Plug you Helix in directly, use the hub for other stuff.

Your problem is a result of violating rule #1 of using Helix with USB - DO NOT USE A HUB!

Once you've fixed your LIVE sets, the problem won't recur. Just don't use a hub with Helix.

I think you misunderstood the problem. It is not about using an USB hub or not, but about using a different port than which was used during first installation or update of the Helix. When you attach an USB device to a new port, Windows assumes it is another device altogether, even if of the exact same type of the one you just disconnected. So the problem will recur as soon as I change the port.

Sorry, but  I don't care about the "rule #1", I've been using Helix with a hub for about 2 years now without any problems.

6 minutes ago, p8guitar said:

I think you misunderstood the problem. It is not about using an USB hub or not, but about using a different port than which was used during first installation or update of the Helix. When you attach an USB device to a new port, Windows assumes it is another device altogether, even if of the exact same type of the one you just disconnected. So the problem will recur as soon as I change the port.

Sorry, but  I don't care about the "rule #1", I've been using Helix with a hub for about 2 years now without any problems.

Yes, it is about using a hub. Proof? Do what I suggested and the problem will go away.

The problem is caused by the way Windows deals with USB ports.

How do I know? My AI and Helix are plugged directly to the laptop. 7 other midi devices are connected to a hub. My mouse dongle and external HD are connected to another hub running off  a type "C" connector. I use LIVE, Reaper and Cakewalk regularly, and others occasionally. I got no problems like you got.

People who don't care about how the manufacturer of a device say to use it, then wonder why they have problems........

Just for curiosity I tried connecting directly to all USB ports yesterday, but every time Windows recognizes "2 - Line6 helix", not Line6 helix. This is strange, because in the past another port would give another name, like "3 - Line6 helix", "4 - Line6 helix" etc..

When there is no Windows guru who knows about the logic of naming midi ports in windows here on the forum, I'll have to live with this quirk.

A bit annoying... actually the problem occured when I stopped using the hub for the update.