Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What Amplifi Hd Should Be Please Read

yavuzj

I am 47 years old and I have owned many different tube amps including the heaviest twin reverbs and marshals in the past.

I have owned a POD X3, Pod HD 300 and most recently I have picked up and HD 500x.

I have many reasons to use an amp modeller but one of the is the most important reason.

WEIGHT!!!!!

Modelers are easier for me because I do not want to cary an amp.

Very few jazz musicians can afford a roady.

This guy makes light weight cabs http://www.flitecabs.com/guitar/

But they are not powered. He makes them from graphite I think.

But amps with digital power supplies should only add a few pounds to the WEIGHT.

If Line6 could make an FRFR amp that has L6-link connection, and that weighs around 20-22 pounds, I would buy it in a heart beat. I think a lot of people would do the same if we could see a graphite made Amplifi that has 200Watts power and that weighs around 20 lbs. 

I do not see the point in carrying a 45lbs amp if I am using a modeler.

So, DTs do not make sense to me.

I can always carry my HD500x w/o an amp and use the P.A which is what I do mostly but a light-weight powered amp would be perfect for a small venue.

And Line 6 why not spend a little more time on your clean tones.

Apple Logic's clean tones ( both fenders and Voxs ( are much better sounding )

Not all your customers use heavily driven sounds.

I use mostly clean tones except occasionally some light overdrive tones.

I used to do it that way; and then I bought a DT25 1x12... I used to think since the HD500 could model the amps and the cabs and the mics, that Studio/Direct mode was the way to go, and the gear should accommodate that. I did several jams using only the POD. I found, that relying on PA's, monitors, and mismatched amps to hear myself was not the best option. By the way, I am 40, will be 41 in a few months, so I hear ya with not wanting to lug heavy gear! Which is why I didn't get a DT50; beyond the design, look, and volume - it's also alot heavier than the DT25.

But for me, the DT25 made the HD500 sound alive, and made it fun to play, and it cuts through the mix, no matter what. I do put it up on an amp stand, so that helps. Some people just prefer the sound of an actual amp; others prefer the full range flat response type sound. I can relate; I used to love hearing the X3Live going into my SWR head and 4x10 bass cabinet. But in the end, I realized - for what I personally like, that carrying the 45lb DT25 (or whatever it weighs) was well worth it! To turn a pun, "it was well worth the weight" :)

Princeton Reverb...34 pounds of Fender goodness.

True but I like 12" speakers.

I had a princeton and I had put in a 12" speaker in it and It became 40 lbs.

I want to stay around 20lbs or less.

Acoustic Image makes those kinds of amps why not Line 6 with the right inputs and speakers?

All they need is a Class D power Amp section.

This looks like it has great potential...  can't wait to actually try one.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/KXD12.aspx

Looks interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I have heard someone play thru this with his hd500x

http://www.roland.com/products/en/AC-60/

I thought it sounded wonderful.

It has no tweeters but it sounds great.

It's just that if Line6 made one with the right connections, then it would be great.

I am 47 years old and I have owned many different tube amps including the heaviest twin reverbs and marshals in the past.

I have owned a POD X3, Pod HD 300 and most recently I have picked up and HD 500x.

I have many reasons to use an amp modeller but one of the is the most important reason.

WEIGHT!!!!!

Modelers are easier for me because I do not want to cary an amp.

Very few jazz musicians can afford a roady.

This guy makes light weight cabs http://www.flitecabs.com/guitar/

But they are not powered. He makes them from graphite I think.

But amps with digital power supplies should only add a few pounds to the WEIGHT.

If Line6 could make an FRFR amp that has L6-link connection, and that weighs around 20-22 pounds, I would buy it in a heart beat. I think a lot of people would do the same if we could see a graphite made Amplifi that has 200Watts power and that weighs around 20 lbs.

I can always carry my HD500x w/o an amp and use the P.A which is what I do mostly but a light-weight powered amp would be perfect for a small venue.

And Line 6 why not spend a little more time on your clean tones.

Apple Logic's clean tones ( both fenders and Voxs ( are much better sounding )

Not all your customers use heavily driven sounds.

I use mostly clean tones except occasionally some light overdrive tones.

I don't have the weight specs for the amplifi but I do have a couple of thoughts about how the amplifi 'could' perhaps fit what you're after.

Check this video:

That's Andertons review video and here are some things that I picked out:

It's loud - you mentioned 200 watts, well would the Amplifi 150 be close enough?

The captain was holding on his lap an amplifi 75 for a long time in that vid. If it were 30-40lbs I'm sure he wouldn't have been comfortable enough to do that - hence I think it may be light enough for you.

You mention the L6Link missing as an issue. Well in my opinion there's no big benefit you'd get from it. The amplifi does no power amp switching like a DT25/50 or daisy chaining like a StageSource PA speaker. So basically you would use it as a line input and the amplifi already has one of those. Just set the pod HD to studio direct and get a stereo adapter cable and rock out!! You can also jam with backing tracks on top - \m/ \m/

Hope that info helps

Cheers

Andy

So basically you would use it as a line input and the amplifi already has one of those. Just set the pod HD to studio direct and get a stereo adapter cable and rock out!! You can also jam with backing tracks on top - \m/ \m/

Hope that info helps

Cheers

Andy

OK. I have not thought of that.

It has a stereo in?

What kind of adaptor would I need?

The specs are not complete then.

It says 1/8" in for iPod and other stuff.

Are you suggesting that I could get a Y cable with 1 trs 1/8" jack on 1 side and 2 x 1/4" jack for line out from hd500x?

I guess that could work but it I could not jam with recordings then which is not that important for me.

They say nothing about weight in the specs though.

Thanks a lot

The draft manual I have seen shows either a keyboard, mixer or mic going into the aux in, hence why I feel anyone with a pod HD or multiple instruments and a small mixer can use it to amplify whatever you want it to. So you could still jam with backing tracks played from any bluetooth device streamed to the amplifi or use a small mixer into the aux input to feed other media players into it if you don't have a bluetooth device.

This amplifi had lots if potench for flexibility.

A simple cable like this would work for any pod HD or a mixer/ keyboard output to feed into the amplifi aux in http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hosa-3-5mm-to-dual-quarter-inch-jackcmp-159/16958?gclid=CNnHrOT6mLwCFdQPtAodkg8AEw

Hope this helps

Andy

The draft manual I have seen shows either a keyboard, mixer or mic going into the aux in, hence why I feel anyone with a pod HD or multiple instruments and a small mixer can use it to amplify whatever you want it to. So you could still jam with backing tracks played from any bluetooth device streamed to the amplifi

If I could stream audio from my iPad thru Bluetooth what stops me from opening a channel from GarageBand and use the modeled amps from there since I like the clean versions of fenders and voxes better from GarageBand. :)

Wow thanks

yep, that opens up amplitube, bias, jam up and a whole host of other iOS apps to stream direct to a ready made FRFR solution...  this wasn't geared towards us HD owners but it does open a whole new line of business for Line 6 and gets a new generation of players interested...

If you've been comparing the AMPLIFi to an Axe-FX, you’re an idiot.

Some of it probably has to do with the 5 drivers in it. I'd guess and say that's about 15 lbs of it. Indeed, a class D power amp would have shed some weight.. But it would have probably cost them a bit more to make. I think the 75 watt version should weigh less. It's about 3/4 the size. 8" instead of a 12". My guess is going to be roughly 24 lbs.

I don't get why this amplify should be this heavy.

Why not use a class d power amp.

Same combo could have been around 20 lbs...

Some of it probably has to do with the 5 drivers in it. I'd guess and say that's about 15 lbs of it. Indeed, a class D power amp would have shed some weight.. But it would have probably cost them a bit more to make. I think the 75 watt version should weigh less. It's about 3/4 the size. 8" instead of a 12". My guess is going to be roughly 24 lbs.

I wonder if I can play a trio jazz gig with the 75 watts version.

Drummers behave in jazz usually since there is an acoustic bass player but when there is a sax involved it won@t be enough in a quartet situation :(

Everything I have heard about is the 150 watt version. 37 lbs is a bit much for me, as well. I have a bad back.. But I think I'm gonna get it anyway. The other solution I was looking at was a Fender Mustang III but that is 35 lbs. Was also looking at the Tech 21 Trademark 30.. 30 watts and a 10" speaker.. Something like 15 lbs.. But I questioned weather it will actually cut or not. The TM60 and PE60 were in the Mustang and AMPLIFi weight range. I'll have to do some side by sides with some tube amps I have to give everyone an idea of what kind of volume it actually does. Gigable and Not gigable really don't cut it for me, because everyone has a different opinion of what an acceptable gigable volume is. I like (and have) a quiet stage. Most others don't. I'll definitely report back once I get mine. I have one preordered through Sweetwater.

I wonder if I can play a trio jazz gig with the 75 watts version.

Drummers behave in jazz usually since there is an acoustic bass player but when there is a sax involved it won@t be enough in a quartet situation :(

It says class D in the specs so it should not be very heavy.

It says light weight so It should be between 20-25lbs

However, as far as I can tell,  it needs a slave amp to be stereo.

This is another similar item that looks promising.  Might be more what you are looking for as far as live playing...  don't know the weight but more like what I thought AMPLIFI would have been.

Behringer Ultratone KXD12

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KXD12/

I am definitely curious about your first impressions.

Please let us know, thanks...

Everything I have heard about is the 150 watt version. 37 lbs is a bit much for me, as well. I have a bad back.. But I think I'm gonna get it anyway.

I'll definitely report back once I get mine. I have one preordered through Sweetwater.

It says class D in the specs so it should not be very heavy.

It says light weight so It should be between 20-25lbs

However, as far as I can tell, it needs a slave amp to be stereo.

It's already stereo. No slave required.

Check out the main Amplifi pages on the L6 website as there's some cool info about how it is stereo FRFR and also a guitar amp as well as having we/dry post amp FX isolated.

I think they meant the Behringer Ultratone KXD12

It's already stereo. No slave required.

Check out the main Amplifi pages on the L6 website as there's some cool info about how it is stereo FRFR and also a guitar amp as well as having we/dry post amp FX isolated.

• Upvote 1

- What Amplifi could have offered, is a wireless input. Wireless VDI would also be outstanding.

- Amplifi could have used the L6Link to integrate with the HD pedal boards.

- It could have featured an audio "stream in" option, using the already existing Apple technology.

- It could have used 24bit Audio technology.

-The Amplifi could have featured networking options, and the ability to connect to WiFi sources.

- At the very *least* HD amp models and M-Class FX could be included for something claiming to be, well you know what the marketing said.

You have all likely used the free Apple software that allows your iTunes library to either stream from your PC to your iPad, or allow your iPad to control the

library as it plays through the computer the iTunes is on. It's called Home Sharing. It already exists, and it's free from Apple.

I can listen to anything in my iTunes library with my iPad - and the songs do not need to be ON my iPad. But the audio plays through the home network.

I should be able to authenticate the Amplifi to my home router, and using my iPad, send

the Amplifi audio using the iTunes Home Sharing, from audio source on the PC.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3819

Last time I checked, the X3L is considered - by Line6 - to be obsolete technology, I believe the word is "Legacy".

Not exactly a word we associate with anything claiming to be a reinvention.

http://line6.com/legacy/podx3live

"POD X3 Live are no longer made."

Please check out these replacement products: HD300. HD400. HD500.

The Bogner DT amps remain the real, true reinvention of the guitar amp. The analog switching component of the DT rigs is what makes them amazing.

The L6 link is not too shabby either. Oh, but there is no L6Link in the Amplifi.

Don't misread my bitterness, I love Line6 and their gear is incredible. Even with all the problems, they aren't just the best at what they do - they are the only

who do what they do. Like Bill Graham said about the Grateful Dead, is also true about L6. This aMplifi is just disappointing more than anything, the hype...

This just doesn't hang with the hype! Maybe next time, right? Think POSITIVE. :)

You should all click that Behringer link. THAT amp looks impressive. 700 watts. A Dedicated DI out XLR. Proper inputs and a LINK output feature.

Just as a point to point comparison. I think the really cool "idea" behind the aMplifi is the IOS remote control. I think they did way better with that idea

on the Stagescape mixers. That gear looks impressive - and with a hefty price tag to match. You control the mix with the iPad, and multiple people with multiple iPads

can control different aspects of the mix. And it does multi-track recording to an SD card.

http://line6.com/stagescape-m20d/

This aMplifi remains a cool idea, rather than a well executed project. But who am I to judge, complain or berate!

I am not forced to buy. G.A.S. is not an issue with this latest release, and that is ok. I am gonna sit this one out, and maybe next time.

it's definitely a cool notion, of what an amp can be. That is in the end, more meaningful than any stumble along the way - the DIRECTION is True.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/products/KXD12.aspx

$349.99

-KLARK TEKNIK created the 24-bit, studio-grade effects engine for BEHRINGER

-Additional XLR mic input on Channel 1 for direct connection of dynamic microphones

-Dedicated 7-band graphic EQ for awesome sound shaping

-Full 4-channel stereo operation with separate Volume and FX Send per channel

-Link output allows linking to a slave amplifier for true stereo operation

- The Link Output allows you to add a second KXD12 with a single mic cable, creating a versatile 1400-Watt portable stereo PA system.

-Subwoofer output for ultimate low-end power

-Bi-amped 700-Watt 4-channel PA System / Keyboard Amplifier